Motorcycle GPS

zon

Is it really necessary to buy a motorcycle GPS unit?

The Garman Nuvi 50LM is on sale at Target this week for $129.99 and I was wondering how well this would work on the bike. I know the waterproof issue, but a water proof case can be purchased on fleabay for 20 bucks. I just can't see paying $600 or more for a motorcycle GPS.

I would like to hear any experiences that people have with using non-motorcycle GPS units on their bikes. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I have a Nuvi 750 mounted on my '99 and it works okay. I just put it in a ziplock bag if I get caught in the rain. I don't ride in the rain too much anymore so I can't vouch for the long term feasibility of this solution though. The 750 does allow you to enter routes which is why I bought it. I don't travel enough distance anymore to really need one of the Zumo's.

GPS.jpg

Certainly a M/C specific unit isn't necessary, but there are several features on units like the Zumo that are pretty handy. The things that are important to me include the ability to program custom routes with a tool like Mapsource and then the ability to pair the unit with both a phone and a Bluetooth headset. What I found is that most auto GPS won't pair with a headset. My fix after having my Zumo stolen was a Nuvi 760 and then a custom made cable that allowed me to connect the Nuvi speaker and remote microphone jacks with a Bluetooth adapter. This allows me to pair my phone with the GPS and then the adapter to my Scala rider. This way I get the spoken directions in my helmet (without a cable) and can answer calls. For rain - a ziplock bag and a rubber band. About $200 total.

I have a Garmin Nuuvi 285-WT automotive GPS (bluetooth compatible) that I sometimes use on the motorcycle. It's not waterproof, but I keep a clear plastic bag stowed under the tank bra in case of rain. Keep in mind that most automotive GPS units are operated by touchscreen, so if you buy a waterproof case w/a hard plastic window it may be impossible to operate the unit w/o removing if from the case, and if the case has a flexible plastic window viewing the display may be more difficult under direct light do to all the reflective surfaces that will be involved. In fact, even when my unit is not mounted in a protective case the biggest problem I have is selecting a mounting position where I can read the display under bright sunlight.

I also own a hand-held Garmin GPS (GPSMap 60CSX) which can also be used on the motorcycle (RAM mounts are also available for this and similarly sized hand-held units). While the display on this unit is considerably smaller than the 4.3" automative unit, I've found is brighter and more easily seen in bright sunlight. My 60CSX als is waterproof and has touchpad controls vs. a touch screen.

Negatives include the lack of a included std 12V cigarette-lighter type power cord. However, I discovered that the power cord that was included with my Garmin 285-WT can also be used to power my 60CSX. The 60CSX can be also powered via a USB power outlet using the cord that was included w/the unit for connecting it to a computer. Unfortunately, the standard mapping software included w/the handheld unit is rather basic in that it only includes coverage for major highways. However, there are sources on the internet where you can download maps for free if you're somewhat computer-savvy. You can also purchase maps from Garmin which may be imported, or pre-installed to a mini-SD memory card. The 60CSX is also not bluetooth compatable and will not provide spoken directions.

The options included w/the handheld unit by far surpasses most automotive units and may surpass the Zumo units as well. My GPS 60-CSX is also very accurate (to within ~ 8ft, or less) and can be used to track where you've been. I've discovered that mine will even show which lane I was riding in when I've been on a multi-lane road.

I also recommend that before purchasing an automotive GPS unit from Garmin be sure to look for the "LM" (lifetime maps designation. Otherwise you'll end up having to pay ~$80 to purchase the lifetime maps option (or $50/year) to download updates annually from Garmen. I've seen Garmin automotive GPS units advertised recently with LM for as little as $100.

One thing to look out for with "car" GPS is screen visibility in direct sunlight. I have a magellan roadmate 1340 and during the day it is absolutely useless. The screen is unreadable on a sunny day, overcast or at night it's fine but otherwise while moving it's useless.

The things that are important to me include the ability to program custom routes with a tool like Mapsource

This is a HUGE plus on any GPS IMHO, being able to import routes. There's a few sites online people can upload their gpx files to with links to google maps of their trip. That and the ability to plan ahead on your computer or have someone send you their route to follow is a great bonus.

i have a Garmin Zumo 550, invaluable for long trips, bluetooth pair with my phone, mp3 for my tunes, and its the only time I listen to a woman telling where to go !

• Member Contributer

I run a cheap little refurbished TomTom One I purchased off eBay for 'bout $80 2-3 year ago, works just fine for what I want. :fing02:

Is it really necessary to buy a motorcycle GPS unit?

The Garman Nuvi 50LM is on sale at Target this week for $129.99 and I was wondering how well this would work on the bike. I know the waterproof issue, but a water proof case can be purchased on fleabay for 20 bucks. I just can't see paying $600 or more for a motorcycle GPS.

I would like to hear any experiences that people have with using non-motorcycle GPS units on their bikes. Thanks.

Personally I love my Zumo. However, if you can find one, Streetpilots are pretty good. My old man swears by them...the thing is, if you can find em and if you can find em cheap. I've seen prices range from 30 bucks to up over 200. Best of luck.

-Mike

• Member Contributer

i first used an LG unit and thought that was the cats ass. then i used a magellan roadmate, and wondered how i ever used the LG. then i got a Zumo 650.

bluetooth to headset for music, micro sd for mp3's(I am currently running around 14g's of music), route planning and importing, pairing with iphone, with ability to make and accept calls while riding(call it what you want... i commute on my bike, and have taken some pretty important calls while riding :) ), excellent user interface that works with gloves, and a water resistant mount and unit that can be left out in the rain without worries.

yes, it is expensive, but worth every penny for me.

• Member Contributer

I use a Garmin Nuvi 660 on the VFR and a Tom Tom Via 1500 on the K1200LT, and have ridden many thousands of miles on both, in all kinds of weather and temperatures. I just pull a zip lock bag over them if they start getting hit with rain.

Archived