Penske 8987 Rear Shock on a 5th Gen

Stucky

I'm curious if anyone has done this install on a 5th gen, and has pictures? Any comments on the install? 929 conversion vs. Penske 8987 comparison (if price is around the same)? I've searched, and there are only a couple of posts referencing 6th gens. Gracias!

Thanks BR. That is what I had read as well. I was worried that the Penske wouldn't be a bolt on affair, but it sounds like it is simply plug and play. Only issue is that it might be too highly sprung. The PO isn't sure of the spring rate, but said it is sprung for a 180-200lb rider, and I'm right at 178lbs. Perhaps I can exchange springs with Penske.

-Mike

• Member Contributer

I have the Penske, and its a very fine piece of kit. I would buy it again. It is a bolt on, but you have to figure out how you want to mount the reserviour(s) Not really all that hard.

If your getting a deal on a used one - go for it. Penkse can do any maintenance needed

• Member Contributer

I have the 8987 and love it! ... I've had it on for several years with no issues. Got mine from Traxxion Dynamics. Only caution I can give is take your time adjusting the high and low speed damping. While initally setting mine up I had the high speed compression set too soft... hit a good bump in a high speed corner and bottomed the suspension so hard it collapsed the sidewall of the tire and bent the rim! ... the result was an interesting "moment" that took my entire lane to get hold of the bike again. Luckily there was no on coming traffic so I had the room.

Well I pulled the trigger; $500 for a barely used (200 miles on it) 8987 seemed hard to pass up. If it isn't as good a deal as I thought, oh well I can handle it. I might have to get a new spring in it though.

Thanks for the input guys.

Well I pulled the trigger; $500 for a barely used (200 miles on it) 8987 seemed hard to pass up. If it isn't as good a deal as I thought, oh well I can handle it. I might have to get a new spring in it though.

Congrats!

Let us know what spring is on it(numbers on spring) and myself of someone else here might swap out springs out with you. I have several.

@ 187 you should be looking at running something in the 19-20kg range(1050-1150lbs).

BR

• Member Contributer

That's a great deal... even if you need a spring. Something you might want to consider as an option to add. When I ordered mine I got the torrington bearing installed with the spring. Makes preload adjustments a bit easier. As I remember it was not an expencive addition. If you change the spring that would be a good time to add it... If it doesn't already have it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I got swindled guys! :pissed: The shock arrived today, and it doesn't appear to be an 8987. There are not high and low speed adjustment on the remote reservoir. Can you suspension gurus help me identify this shock? There are no markings or serial numbers on the damper or spring (thus I also don't know the spring rate). I purchased this thing under the description as a practically brand new 8987 with only 200 miles on it, and I paid a price thinking that is what I was receiving.

DSC02281.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

DSC02283.jpg

DSC02284.jpg

• Member Contributer

It looks like an 8981, the same as I have.

Maybe it was a genuine mistake depending on how the tag at the top of the one is read.

The spring rate maybe stamped on the end of the spring. Mine is a Hyperco spring, similar colour to yours, and it is labelled on the end.

Good call Trash, it is an 8981. I contacted Penske and they got back to me, really quickly I might add, that it is a double adjustable 8981, which they don't even make any more. Penske also mentioned that the spring rate is on the end of the spring, rather than the side. I'm trying to work it out with the seller now, as $500 for an out of date 8981 is overpriced, even if it does only have 200 miles on it.

Thanks a ton of for the help!

I'm considering keeping the shock, if I can work out a new price with the seller. I would of loved to have the trick 8987, but I think the double adjustable would still be a huge improvement over stock. Any advice for what one of these older 8981 shocks might be worth? I couldn't find any thing on Ebay or the WERA classifieds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm considering keeping the shock, if I can work out a new price with the seller. I would of loved to have the trick 8987, but I think the double adjustable would still be a huge improvement over stock. Any advice for what one of these older 8981 shocks might be worth? I couldn't find any thing on Ebay or the WERA classifieds.

I think that shock went for something like $800 new. Traxxion Dynamics used to sell them.

Well I finally have this all sorted :smile:. I worked out a deal with the seller, and actually kept the shock. I have already ordered a new spring, as the current spring is only 850lb/in. In the end I am happy, and I think the seller is happy as well. Now all I'm waiting on are my forks to get back from Jamie and I'll be set suspension wise :tour: . The only other question in my small rebuild is whether to go with dhgate bodywork :unsure: (the reviews are very polarizing).

Archived