Exhaust photos and comments.

Guest ChristosGR

• Member Contributer

I just purchase the Competition Werkes exhaust today. I've got the R&G black engine protectors/covers, so I ordered the pipe in black. It should look great. Anxious to get it on the bike.

I do have the Honda OEM side cases, and don't think there will be any problem with the new exhaust. I called and spoke to a CW rep, but they couldn't really give me the definitive answer I was hoping for about the case compatibility. Based on photos of the nearest thing to it, the DAM pipe, it looks like a good fit with no interference.

You get this pipe in yet, HVR? Curious to see what you think of it.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cancelled the order for two reasons; It was not in stock (I'm always a little disappointed when I get that response from retailers...) and it did not look like it would be "friendly" for a pillion. While I think it would have been compatible withe OEM hard cases, the photos I looked at made me believe the exhaust would be blowing right on her foot, or lower leg. Not good.

I never did get anyone from Comp Werkes to confirm the pannier compatibility, so I canceled and immediately have ordered the Leo Vince Carbon. It looks great, and is in keeping with the black look I want.

I checked into the DAM, and I agree that it's a good looking pipe. Not advertised in black (especially carbon) and if it's doable, I'm sure the cost goes pretty high. Got a great deal on the Leo Vince. No regrets. Pipe arrives tomorrow!

By the way, the Pac-man sticker is either not long for this world or, preferably, I'd like to find a way to make it a little more subdued. I know it can be removed, but I'm thinking a matt coat of something to take that bright yellow out. Anyone try this? Recommendations? Thanks.

I disconnected the flapper cable and that does sound great as well though.

I agree, way better than stock, but it still has that tinny metallic sound. If the stock exhaust is a 2, disconnecting the flapper makes it a 5, and the DAM is an 11. It's worth every penny.

Brian Fairleigh and Yoke,

When you purchased your DAM, were you given the choice of the standard DB killer or the sport DB killer? I just received an email from DAM tonight with the prices for the exhaust slip-on and I want to make a good decision. The email explains that the standard DB killer is the same noise level as stock and the sport DB killer is between open and stock noise levels. They can ship the week of July 17th, if I make a decision soon. I am seriously considering purchasing this exhaust based on the reviews and the looks, as I really like the OEM exhaust. I am running the flapper valve mod but I really want a little louder and deeper sound.

Thank you,

anbark I was given the option of which to take free of charge, and I took the sport. David will ship both for an extra bit of coin as I recall. I personally don't like the sport killer, it actually sounds a bit like the stock with the flapper mod. I wish I would've gotten the standard noise killer so I could keep the DAM on when I camp...the sound is soooo deep. I've used the sport once and now it's collecting dust. Sounds so good open you'll be hooked. Do remember that DAM's measurements are at 4500rpm, NOT idle. The open DAM thumps at idle, and still quite a bit at speed. My 2 cents

• Member Contributer

An-

For what it's worth, I ordered the sport DB killer with mine and never put it in. The DAM really isn't all that louder IMO than the stock with the flapper open, it's just more... Pure? Gutteral? The vids are a hard thing to judge by...

When you're going, it's just subdued, throaty goodness.

I did, however, want the opportunity to reduce the volume somewhat if my pillion thought it was too much or if the cops hassled me.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, what he said. HAHAHA :tour:

Here's a fun fact...

I got an e-mail from David at DAM the other day asking my permission to be contacted as a reference to someone who was interested in buying state-side and wanted to talk to a customer. Never had that happen before.

My only even remote complaints in dealing with them were the lag in correspondence and that it took longer to be built/shipped than initially promised.

My only even remote complaints in dealing with them were the lag in correspondence and that it took longer to be built/shipped than initially promised.

Exact same problems I had. Outstanding product, but I do think they're sort of Santa's elves on Christmas Eve. Could use a few more staff.

So the Dam weighs over 7 lbs less than the stock monster...5.39 lbs vs. 12.65 lbs

When you pick them up together it's actually hard to believe it's only that much. I feel like on average you get about 50% less weight from an aftermarket slip-on. On a 600lb bike I would imagine that's not the primary concern, nor should it be. I look at weight savings as a bonus, not a selling point (for this bike at least)

I just installed the Leo Vince carbon pipe to my 1200. I must say that it looks and sounds much better than I've seen and heard in the various photos and video clips online.

The sound especially surprised me, as it is much lower and throaty sounding than a few of the clips I watched. FYI, I did leave the db killer installed in the can. I spent a few years in the HD world, and am not anxious to go back, so the sound wasn't an issue for me. Also, I don't want my bike to sound like a chain saw, or I would have purchased an I-4 bike.

As I mentioned, I really liked the look and positive reviews for the DAM pipe. I really wanted to put on an all-carbon pipe, and from the reputable pipes available, I had only three choices (the DAM, unfortunately, is not one of them) and it was either the Akraprovic,,Two Brothers or the Leo Vince.

I went with the Leo for various reasons, and am very happy with the choice. Low mount, so OEM cases are still useable. Not a bad install, about two hours just messing around with it in the hot summer heat. Flapper cable removal was not an issue. (The Akra keeps the cable, so that was a factor in the decision, too.)

The factory can is huge and heavy, and, like others here, I think the weight savings for installing a carbon or titanium pipe are well worth it.

Opening up that gorgeous rear wheel is the last, wonderful benefit. I know Honda thought it looked very modern to add the big chrome monster, but they really hid a beautiful thing in that wheel, single swing-arm, etc.

All in all, it's a very good upgrade.

• Member Contributer

Opening up that gorgeous rear wheel is the last, wonderful benefit. I know Honda thought it looked very modern to add the big chrome monster, but they really hid a beautiful thing in that wheel, single swing-arm, etc.

All in all, it's a very good upgrade.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

I liked the looks of the carbon... it was a pretty tough call for me eventually and have heard great things about Leo Vince for sure. Enjoy!

Good thread! It forced me to spend some money though...I am in the process of trying to contact DAM to order a pipe for mine. Have not gotten a response yet, but I understand that patience is in order.

For those of you that have the DAM, do you have any popping/backfiring etc, and if so does it pretty much go away after some miles?

Cheers;

Eric

Good thread! It forced me to spend some money though...I am in the process of trying to contact DAM to order a pipe for mine. Have not gotten a response yet, but I understand that patience is in order.

For those of you that have the DAM, do you have any popping/backfiring etc, and if so does it pretty much go away after some miles?

Cheers;

Eric

I feel like I've become the defacto DAM rep. I haven't experienced any popping. Nothing like with the flapper mod. The sound is smooth, deep, and consistent. Would be curious to hear if anyone has had those issues.

I too love the Dam pipe...what are people being quoted for one shipped to the US?

David lists the matte exhaust at 432 euros, chrome 10 euros less. 48 euros for shipping to me on the west coast, may be cheaper for east coast. There is also a 3.4% surcharge on the total price for paying through PayPal, which I did for security reasons. Current exchange rates apply, for me it was $665.98 out the door.

I too love the Dam pipe...what are people being quoted for one shipped to the US?

Jessman,

I emailed DAM, and actually received a fairly quick response. Total cost, shipped, was just south of 7 bones. I wanted the pipe in black, and asked for a quote for such, but the company rep mistakenly thought that my V12 was black, instead.

• Member Contributer

Cheers;

Eric

Hey Eric-

I get a little bit of barking when downshifting, mostly due to my riding style and having a manual shift I'd assume. It's not overly loud and not like a ka-BAM backfire... just the motor talking some smack asking me to really wind it up. When you spin it HARD and shift gears, you'd get some snotty comments from the motor as well...

I imagine a Power Commander may lessen this, but I am going to do good bags/suspension and let the factory warranty go before I start REALLY screwing with the motor.

So, on my manual shift, yes, a bit of popping. It's not bad though.

I know Brian's got the DCT... I imagine that may be the differing factor there.

Jessman-

Brian's spot on on the pricing. Must be on the payroll. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

I feel like I've become the defacto DAM rep.

Haha, make that two.

A lot to be said for happy customers though...

Jessman,

I just received my quote on Monday and completed the order form. However, it took about 2 more days for David to respond back (after I emailed him again). Below is the quote from him:

Exhaust + transportation costs Total : 1x VFR1200 polished 422.32 euro excl VAT+ transport 48 euro exclu VAT = 470,23 euro

So with PayPal that will make 470,23 + 3.4% =TOTAL 486.31 euro .

I'll just have patience and wait for my pipe, as I am not exactly in a hurry to receive it. Based on all the reviews, I'm sure it'll be well worth it. David appears to be a very nice gentleman.

Thanks again to Yokel and Brian.

Thanks again to Yokel and Brian.

Enjoy! Let us know what you think when you get it.

:tour:

Hey Yokel and Brian,

When you ordered your DAM, did you make the transfer from PayPal or did David initiate the transfer on his end? This is my first international transaction and I just want it to go smoothly and I also want to make sure David gets paid.

Thank you,

Archived