Troubleshooting Help Please

wrestler

• Member Contributer

I am having trouble with Zumo charging while in the cradle. It charges fine at home. Anyone ever had this problem? I thought it was the device but the replacement has the same issue. The recharging cable doesn't seem to be defective. Anyone have any other ideas?

Wrestler

• Member Contributer

I imagine then the problem is the cradle. Check to see that the cradle pins are touching the Zumo contacts... No touchy = no chargey.

• Member Contributer

Try some compressed air/fine brush on the connector.

During TMAC I noticed some tiny blueish (corrosion?) gunks build up (on my Nuvi). No problem charging but it looked odd.

If you google your problem on the web you will find plentry entries.

Some thoughts...

Does it charge via USB cable?

plug it to your computer and see if it charges.

If it does, then the issue might be your cradle, the cable, the connection from cable to your electrical system on the bike.

If it does not, then maybe you need a new battery.

I had something weird happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I was riding and using the zumo to follow a route.

suddenly, the zumo just turned off. I pulled over and started checking cradle, cable, connections from zumo cable to fuse box. nothing. it would not come on. Once home, I tried hooking it to the PC and nothing.

I then removed the battery from the zumo and put it back. bingo. it came back up and haven't had a problem.

Not saying you have the same issue, but try removing the battery and putting it back.

Let me know.

• Member Contributer

I already told you what the problem is. Some of the gold conductors dots on the bottom of the GPS that mate with the cradle pins have worn off. Take a close up picture of the bottom of the unit and post and we'll see what others think.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

If the contact points are exposed (in other words non-usb), some contact cleaner should dissolve any oxides that may have built up and degrade the connection. For tougher cases a Q-tip can help with cleanup.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies guys. This is my present status. I got a replacement GPS. All the contacts are perfect. The gaskets have been replaced. I'm checking out the male contacts. I'll check out the oxidation possibilities. Checking with Strap tomorrow to check out the wires connection. Switching the battery in the GPS to see if it is the problem. Be back at you guys tomorrow.

Archived