3rd generation parts availability

Heart breaking as it was, I had to sell my very nice 97 gen 4. I now have the opportunity to pick up a gen 3 minus some parts. How difficult is it to find fairing pieces etc for these? Are they as hard to find as the fairings for the 4th gens? I'm picking it up extremely cheap and it will be a slow rebuild, so I'm in no hurry. I have a few spares, but not a ton. Thanks

• Member Contributer

Bodywork is very hard to find and when it shows up on Ebay there are usually several people fighting for it so it doesn't come cheap. What exact pieces would it need?

Rollin

it doesn't look good. altho I have a front end, it needs an entire front end, ALL the fairings, headlight, fairing stay, windshield etc....1k miles on the engine. NO title...he wants $400 for it...I might just try to pick the rear rim and put it on a 4th gen I found around the corner from this one....

well if serious about finding some stuff i am currently streetfightering my 93. i don't have the mid-fairings, and some of the other pieces might not be worth fixing, idk. but I'll be happy to work with anyone who needs whatever i have.

• Member Contributer

well if serious about finding some stuff i am currently streetfightering my 93. i don't have the mid-fairings, and some of the other pieces might not be worth fixing, idk. but I'll be happy to work with anyone who needs whatever i have.

Shipping from Hawaii will be a deal breaker for most people I would think.

Rollin

Trust me, i know all about shipping. But I would rather see these parts go to some one who can use them. If not then they are just going to sit around in my garage till i run out of space and then chuck um. There are only 2 third gens on the Island i live on, no fourth gens, and may 2 or 3 fifth/sixth gens. I would easily say there couldn't be more then 10 third/fourth gens in the whole state. So parts demand here is low. not to mention that i don't think any of those guys are on this forum (which is the only forum i go on) If you want, i would be happy to work with you on what you need and what i have, try to make it work in your budget. Like i said, i would love to see these parts go to someone who can use them. No harm in tossing some numbers around...

Matt

I saw a full set of '93 fairings with stock paint and decals in pretty great shape all listed at once a few months ago. I think the dude took in over a grand when they were all added up. I have a front V piece that's missing the top of one side but could probably be cut even and made to work without looking too bad. I also have a full one in nice shape, but I paid something to the tune of $130 for it. The mids and lowers tend to pop up every so often, but it's a crapshoot. You might pay $50 for a lower in decent shape, but you also might see a damaged mid with a buy-it-now-only set at $230.

• Member Contributer

airtech stuff is good for a 'slap and go' with some minimal mods... you'll need to have some know how when it comes to paint though as it has a gel coat on the fiberglass. other than that they are decent... there are zero brackets for anything you need to bot up to such as the front headlight, you'll also need to cut out for lights, back and front for turns, tail, and headlamps. A dremel, steady hand, good eye for curved and straight lines, and you'll have it (2-3 hours) the nose is a one piece which is a tough fit over the stock headlight bracket, the belly and sides are a one piece as well so you'll need to cut down the center or mod some other way... the tail = piece of cake... :-) it also helps to have some fiberglass knowledge and some craftsmanship for making the lip on the tail section *if you're going to purchase that* GL and post up what your decision will be

• Member Contributer

Heart breaking as it was, I had to sell my very nice 97 gen 4. I now have the opportunity to pick up a gen 3 minus some parts. How difficult is it to find fairing pieces etc for these? Are they as hard to find as the fairings for the 4th gens? I'm picking it up extremely cheap and it will be a slow rebuild, so I'm in no hurry. I have a few spares, but not a ton. Thanks

SF/Bay area craigslist has a 3rd gen that's being parted out

• Member Contributer

Hey, don't forget Thurn motosports. I think it's thurn-motorsports.de

Their stuff has a good reputation, and they have 2 versions of the 3rd gen plastic...with molded turn signals, or smoothed without the molded in turn signals. Allows for a slightly custom look, looks more like the 2nd gen, I think. You can also get the front piece with regular headlight traces or round. Lots of choices!

Archived