2007 model bad idle and then shut off *Fixed*

Guest bmatic586

Guest bmatic586

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate some help in getting some ideas as to why my 2007 VFR800 is all of a sudden idling rough and then turning off.

The only change that I've made since this started happening is that I replaced a K&N air filter with another K&N air filter (I didn't know the previous owner had one already installed).

Any advice is appreciated. I really don't want to spend a ton of money to take it to a mechanic unless I absolutely have to. I've worked on other bikes before so I'm somewhat mechanically savvy.

One thing that I thought about was that the fuel jets are clogged, but would definitely like someone elses input. Also if I can't get it fixed, where would be a good place to take it in and around the Nashville, TN area?

Thank you in advance.

Here is a video that I posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_De-lNhpWGY&feature=youtube_gdata

• Member Contributer

Idle speed seems a tad slow. Try adjusting to 1200-1400 rpms and see what happens.

U ran out of fuel! :tongue:

Idle is too low, should be 1400 +/- 100 rpm.

Did this start immediately after installing the new K&N? Could be an Over Oiled Filtered. Set idle and go from there.

I'm in Nashville if you need further help.

BR

U ran out of fuel! :tongue:

Idle is too low, should be 1400 +/- 100 rpm.

Did this start immediately after installing the new K&N? Could be an Over Oiled Filtered. Set idle and go from there.

I'm in Nashville if you need further help.

BR

Lol...

The filter was not too oily...at least it didn't look like it was.

Can somebody write up a quick step-by-step on how to adjust the idle speed?

Thank you all for helping out.

• Member Contributer

Do you still have the filter you replaced?

Reinstall it and that should tell you if the new filter is the problem.

I have also read where it is possible to damage some sensors by over-oiling a filter.

• Member Contributer

Your 6th gen has an idle speed adjuster located just above the clutch cover (yellow arrow). It has a knob you can turn with your fingers - but it's also slotted on the end for a phillips head screwdriver. Just turn it slightly clockwise to raise the idle speed. The engine needs to be warmed up to adjust it properly. FSM says 1200 +/- 100.

gallery_11118_5215_143360II.jpg

I will try putting the old air filter back in tonight and also adjusting that idle knob. I will post my findings later today.

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

In the video the fuel gauge is flashing - are you sure you have enough in it and any chance it went bad over the winter? If there's water in the fuel tank and it's very low, it may be causing some issues. If you're unsure if you have water in the fuel, siphon out as much as you can (I can get almost all if it out by placing it on the side stand and running the hose from a small transfer pump down the low side of the tank). Add a gallon or so of fresh fuel and maybe some Seafoam or similar fuel system treatment. There are some additives (I think "HEET" is one) that specifically are made to get water back in to suspension in fuel.

The idle speed at the end of the vid is way too low - the idle adjustment should raise and lower it. You shouldn't have to turn the adjustment much, but if someone else (previous owner?) was fiddling with it previously you may have to turn it more than normal to raise the idle (if they turned it down too much, for example). There should be some felt resistance as you turn it - if not, there may be a problem. Lastly, the indicated temp is only 135 - it should be up to normal operating temp to get a good read on where it's idling, somewhere around 175. Unless something's broken/disconnected, etc, as you turn the idle adjustment it should eventually bring the rpm up.

In the video the fuel gauge is flashing - are you sure you have enough in it and any chance it went bad over the winter? If there's water in the fuel tank and it's very low, it may be causing some issues. If you're unsure if you have water in the fuel, siphon out as much as you can (I can get almost all if it out by placing it on the side stand and running the hose from a small transfer pump down the low side of the tank). Add a gallon or so of fresh fuel and maybe some Seafoam or similar fuel system treatment. There are some additives (I think "HEET" is one) that specifically are made to get water back in to suspension in fuel.

The idle speed at the end of the vid is way too low - the idle adjustment should raise and lower it. You shouldn't have to turn the adjustment much, but if someone else (previous owner?) was fiddling with it previously you may have to turn it more than normal to raise the idle (if they turned it down too much, for example). There should be some felt resistance as you turn it - if not, there may be a problem. Lastly, the indicated temp is only 135 - it should be up to normal operating temp to get a good read on where it's idling, somewhere around 175. Unless something's broken/disconnected, etc, as you turn the idle adjustment it should eventually bring the rpm up.

I appreciate your post. I actually just did what you posted on here a couple of hours ago and was about to come here and post it. I had to turn the idle screw a lot to get the idle to come back up. It finally did and the bike it idling at about 1300. I also went ahead and put the new filter in there and it working great so far. Next will be an oil change.

Thank you all for helping out. I really appreciate all your input.

Archived