2000 VFR800 overheating (nothing new)

Staggies

I just picked a 2000 up,and the guy I got it from didn't really know how to fix it so I picked it up pretty cheap. It was heating up and the warmer it got, the higher it idled. It would typically get to around 3500. I assumed the thermostat needed to be replaced so I took care of that. After I got it all back together it would still idle high. I let it run for a bit while I was burping the coolant system and the high idle problem has seemed to go away. It is still heating up though and I can't seem to get that problem fixed. I even bled the air out at the fan switch to make sure I was getting it all. The fan doesn't kick in and temp got up to 230 I shut it off. Not really sure what the deal is. Do I still have air in there? Is there anything else I should take a look at?

The thermoswitch is a very common failure, so either replace it or wire a manual fan switch into the circuit or do both.

After you think the cooling system is full, recheck it again--under the radiator cap!!!!!!--after about 20 miles of riding.

Hi and welcome!

Has the bike been dropped on the left side? If so the fan usually get shoved into the Rad and will not spin, check that the blade spins freely first. Then check the thermo switch mentioned. The fan is set to come on at 220 deg and off near 200, the temp starts flashing in red above 250 deg.

Running the bike on the side stand is the best way to burp air from the system.

BR

Your bike has a wax unit which controls the idle speed. Sometimes they malfunction.

Download the service manual and read up on the function of the wax unit.

Also, burping your bikes cooling system is done with the bike on the sidestand.

Lastly, check the cooling fan for proper operation. Fuse, wires, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I got it all taken care of. I just hadn't gotten all of the air out yet. Now it's on to plastic repair and paint. This really needed som TLC. Might be a bit but I'll post pics when it's done. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am also experiencing insane amounts of heat from my 99'. I picked up the bike 2 weeks ago and I am going nuts. Today I will be flushing the cooling system with distilled water two times and then replacing the green stuff with engine ice. I will post back the results.

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am also experiencing insane amounts of heat from my 99'. I picked up the bike 2 weeks ago and I am going nuts. Today I will be flushing the cooling system with distilled water two times and then replacing the green stuff with engine ice. I will post back the results.

Are you still flushing?? :goofy:

also check your radiator caps, mine would run fine and operate the fan normally for a week or so and then stop working the fan and get hot and i found that my radiator cap was not holding pressure properly which resulted in the coolant boiling off in traffic.

Archived