SP1 upper triple with 05 R1 forks?

karhawk

• Member Contributer

Ihave been reading the USD fork install guides until blue in the face, will the SP1 upper work with 05 R1 forks? What is the best lower

929 or 954? I under stand to get a higher bar height I will have to get some different clip ons.

Thanks

Chris

You want it the other way around. SP1 LOWER with either 929/954 UPPER (they are the same).

That way you have the gullwing upper triple that allows you to run clipons.

(edited for model correction)

• Member Contributer

Zroyz has done this exact combo. Search around for his thread.

Thanks I get it now

• Member Contributer

You want it the other way around. SP2 LOWER with either 929/954 UPPER (they are the same).

I'm quite sure that's a typo, since Rob knows his stuff. SP2 lower has a larger diameter stem which does NOT work. SP1 lower is the way to go. Going to say 54mm fork diameter at the lower clamp? (I forget)

SP1 upper is flat, 50mm fork diameter. 954, 929 are gullwinged down with the same offset and 50mm fork diameter and stem diameter.

If you can find 'em, VFR 1200 clipons are 50mm and a good match to the 954/929 upper. The locating tabs line up nicely. (That's my setup)

• Member Contributer

I like a low front (I've come to find) and am considering a change to SP1 upper with SP1 clipons on top of the clamp. The flat upper will raise the upper surface, but the SP1 clipons will lower the handlebar height. Overall lower hand position with still plenty of fork above the clamp.

Unfortunately I already installed heated grips, so I'm reluctant to toss them out at the moment.

You want it the other way around. SP2 LOWER with either 929/954 UPPER (they are the same).

I'm quite sure that's a typo, since Rob knows his stuff. SP2 lower has a larger diameter stem which does NOT work. SP1 lower is the way to go. Going to say 54mm fork diameter at the lower clamp? (I forget)

Too right, momentary cranial flatulence. Thanks for the catch, I will edit!

• Member Contributer

OK

Reading an old post of zroyz: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/38679-vfr1/ he said using the 929/954 upper triple and convertibars the clipon bracket fouled on the shaft of the R1 forks where the diameter starts to get fatter. I know I have to use the 929 lower. Since my wrists are not getting any younger I would like to keep the same basic clipon height as stock. That is the reason for the upper SP1 triple? Since the extended clipons have to go below the upper triple.

Does that make any sense at all?

Thanks

Chris

P.S.

This would also apply to the CBR 1K forks as well right? Since they are about the same height as the R1's? With the extended height clipons can I keep my original throttle cables? What would be the approx height the R1 forks would have to extend beyond the triple?

And how much would the rear have to be raised to compensate for different trail?

• Member Contributer

If I wanted to keep my stock clipons would the early R1 forks be a better option? I just saw how much the convertibar kit was!

Early R1 are still 54mm diameter clip-ons.

Safe-T took a set of Ducati clip-ons and modified them - or was that Veefer?

Early R1 are still 54mm diameter clip-ons.

Safe-T took a set of Ducati clip-ons and modified them - or was that Veefer?

ME! They were Helibars meant for a Ducati 900SS.

The ones pictured above are the Chinese = of Convertibars.

• Member Contributer

Again, I'll throw in my suggestion of VFR1200 clipons. As long as the R1 forks are 50mm at the upper clamp, and they will have to be if you're talking about using SP1/929/954 upper clamps, they'll fit. Slightly taller than my original 5th Gen handlebars, but the gullwing upper lowers it overall.

• Member Contributer

Again, I'll throw in my suggestion of VFR1200 clipons. As long as the R1 forks are 50mm at the upper clamp, and they will have to be if you're talking about using SP1/929/954 upper clamps, they'll fit. Slightly taller than my original 5th Gen handlebars, but the gullwing upper lowers it overall.

Some good options, the vfr 1200 clipons look pretty rare, so the 04-05 R1 forks are 50mm at the upper clamp, with a gull wing 929/954 and these 100 dollar danmoto clipons and I should be in bizness? Then comes the radial brakes and sexy 5 spoke 04-06 R1 wheel!

thanks!

PS

Will the later 6 pot radial brakes work with 04-06 R1 5 spoke wheel? It originally had 4 pot calipers

Archived