• Member Contributer

I have a 2003 800 non ABS.

Current setup:

unplugged o2 sensors

wiring replaced

K&N filter

PAIR blockoffs

Two brothers exhaust

15 / 43 sprockets (had 15 / 45 and recently changed back)

11500 somewhat inflated miles from the 15/45 sprockets

Bike runs well. The sensor disconnect significantly helped the dead spot/surging at 4500-5000.

My biggest gripe: I really don't care for the 7K vtec hit. When riding aggressively, I usually stay above 7K RPM, but will drop below, and accelerate through the vtec hit. Not a huge deal, but I don't care for it...

My option: I have a relationship with a local shop. In exchange for some of my labor this winter, he will sell me a Power Commander at cost, and give me access to his dyno (and his skills) to help tune the bike.

My questions are:

Have you installed a PCV (or PC3)?

Will I need o2 eliminators?

Does it help with surging and the vtec hit?

Anyone have good maps to start with?

Should I do this?

Thanks!

you pull the snorkel and flapper out the air box yet?

i would do that and try and find a 98-99 header or aftermarket header.

finally i would get a pcV with autotune and let it tune itself. it should come with o2 eliminators my pc3 did.

if you don't want to buy the O2 eliminators, you can get some 330ohm resistors and install them. There's a "how to" here on how to do that. I presenty have the PC3 and it has solved a few things. I would definately get the PCV and dyno it. You can save the money on the autotune as long as you don't plan on making any more changes that would require a dyno tune. If you are planning on making more changes later, like getting the headers, than I would get the auto tune. Just my opinion though.

• Member Contributer

When I bought my PCV it came with the O2 sensor eliminators and yes it did improve the low end throttle response and I do not notice the VTEC kick in as much. My setup is a de-snorkeled and de-Flapped air box, K&N air filter, O2 sensor eliminators and Two Bros exhaust (4 into 1). Right now I'm content with just an off the shelf map, but if I had the same opportunity as you, I would take advantag of that. One caveat to doing a proper Dynotune, you'll have to disable the PAIR Valve system as well. That, plus the extra $250.00-$300.00 dollar for tuning is keeping me from jumping on a Dynotune right away.

You have to have a wideband o2 sensor for the auto tune, so you wouldn't need two o2 simulators.

wide band o2 sensors plug into the autotune module, the o2 eliminators plug into the bikes factory location...

I have a 2003 non abs vfr 800, two brothers. Exhaust

De snorkeled. I modified cozy's map and code righter's map

to work on my pcV. I think you could start with

That map and go from there. It's under the more tab/downloads.

• Member Contributer

Thanks all for the replies. I've been back and forth with the snorkel. I will be de-snorkling it.

Sounds like a good option is the PCV with autotune, and then take advantage of the dyno access to really get a good map.

Thanks all for the replies.

Archived