Using a drill as a Dremel

• Member Contributer

My wife is already on the rampage about the time and cost of my new "hobby." :rolleyes:

I'm set to install my heated grips switch and by 12v outlet, but I don't have a Dremel for the cutting. I intend on using my electric drill.

What attachments/bits should I use for the best result? Any tips? She would not sanction the Dremel I will eventually buy at this point.

I already have a boring bit set and some sanding bits. Not sure if these acceptable tools for the job.

If you have a adjustable speed drill you should be able to do some of the same things as a dremmel, also a cheap way to go is a set of jewelers files.

What does she spend on cosmetics and do you see the bills? If she says the cosmetics are to make her look good to you, you can tell her that's what beers for.

'course I've been single for over 45 years. :laughing6-hehe::lobby:

They actually make Dremel style bits for a standard drill. Have a few myself actually. Got them at Sears if I can remember correctly.

• Member Contributer

I have some dremel style bits myself and they sell many. A dremel is just easier to handle and use for precision work. I don't intend to do much precision work. Cut the hole, file it down a bit. I have a manual file for the precision work. I just don't want to break anything.

I've been fortunate in having a wife who doesn't spend all the money I make, but that has unintended consequences when it comes to my spending.

Keeps me from going bankrupt though.

You could always try to make friends with someone who is local and has a Dremel - or does your wife put the kibosh on that too? :unsure:

If it's the round rocker switch you're talking about, all you need is a unibit and your drill. Will set you back just a couple bucks at Harbor Freight, more if you go to HD or Lowe's.

• Member Contributer

I added DC outlets on both my bikes and I've found that the cutting bits are best to do the rough cutting and then use a sanding bit to finish off the rough edges. At high RPM's the sanding bits heat up nicely which sands and melts the plastic at the same time giving you are very controlled and smooth finish with a perfect fit. You might also want to use painters tape and razor to outline the areas you want to cut.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Used the drill and boring bits. Works OK if you go slow. I didn't. Marred a bit of plastic as a result. Bezel covers it on one side. Not so lucky on the other. Lesson learned. Not too bad though.

• Member Contributer

+4 on the Uni-Bits (or step drills) for boring safe holes in thin metal or plastic. Great control, no walking or out of round holes.

Archived