mounting question for staintune high mount on 4th gen

Is it OK if this particular exhaust is mounted using only the rear mount that attaches to the subframe with the little metal strap? (and obviously at the collector joint)

I can't get both the rear mount and the passenger footpeg mount to line up at the same time when the the tapered connection to the collector is lined up correctly and sealing.

I tried three times to mount it in different ways, fiddling with the alignment and such and whenever I used both mounts, I could not get the collector joint to seal -- it would always have a huge leak at the bottom even with the two piece clamp tightened because the can was being pulled out of alignment by using both mounts.

It looks OK mounted only at the rear because it's supported at both extreme ends and feels very solid and rigid. Took a quick ride and noticed no problems, but most improtantly the collector joint is sealed properly now.

What say ye?

• Member Contributer

I say GO!

It even works with a CF "strap" to the subframe

IMG_0267-1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I believe that is the mounting point. I don't believe it mounts to the rear peg. Anyone else?

On mine it does so there's the 2-piece clamp at the collector box pipe, then the pillion peg, then the rearmost point.

@ 72525 maybe either the rear point or the pillion peg (or both) is bent slightly?

I think you are encountering the typical tolerances encountered with the rear subframe of the bike. If you cannot get the mounting points to line up exactly, remember that you can bend the short stainless steel mounting strap that bolts on to the end of the can and to the rear of the subframe. I had to put a slight bend and a little twist on mine a little to make things line up on my bike

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I had to do exactly what Beck did to his rear strap mount to get everything to line no with no stress. When I installed my mine, I hooked it up to the collector and left it bit loose. I then fastened it to the rear peg and worked back and forth between the collector and the rear peg mount until it was tight. THEN I installed the rear-most strap mount, bending and twisting it just a bit so it to was a stress free (to the mount) as I tightened it up. A little propane torch heat and a small bench vise worked great to get it just right. Good luck.

Archived