Should Honda derestrict the vfr1200?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Derestict 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?

• DO NOT - leave as is.
    • DO - all VFR1200's
    • DO - only the VFR1200F NOT the DTC
    • DO - with real traction control

Guest fcaprilia

Curious what the installation looks like? Does it involve cutting wires or is this just as simple as connecting the Z-Bomb in between two connectors? Thanks

It's very simple plug and play. You disconnect a plug and slip the Z-Bomb in between the two connectors. Easy as pie!

Thanks. I have a DCT so will have to wait. I did call the local Honda dealer yesterday to see if he knew of any upcoming ECU updates and he said there weren't any.

Hi Guys,

I was looking forward to ordering the Z-Bomb mod, as it has now been posted on the website for sale. I was going to order two, because my buddy and I both bought one a week apart.

My question to you is... The website quotes 35 bucks for FedEx express shipping! Did you actually pay that? If I ordered one or two items, it was still 35 bucks. Just wondering how many orders they lose with that ridiculously high shipping rate? Why can't I just order the harness through Honda, and do the fix on it?

I just tell them my bike was stolen, and some parts were missing that I need to get to get it running again...

Update... Tracy actually replied to my question on a Sunday!

Anyways, she said the shipping price would be whatever the normal FedEx rate is, and "not to worry". So I'll be ordering two. the folks on this board and elsewhere seem to be happy with their services, so I will give it a go. I'm sure most of us are savvy enough to cut the wires, but not stupid enough to lose the warranty....

Regards,

Guest GuitarX

Yep, I've got a PCV and Auto Tune installed. The de-restriction is a totally separate deal and doesn't mess with the fueling. It just fools the ECU into thinking you're in 3rd gear when you're actually in 1st or 2nd. Went for my first ride today and the bike ran great. Nice difference especially in 2nd gear. This is not a super-expensive mod and I can't imagine anyone with a VFR1200F that wouldn't want to do this. It doesn't change the bike significantly or turn it into a fire-breathing monster. It just makes it react to the throttle the way you'd expect it to.

Yep, I've got a PCV and Auto Tune installed. The de-restriction is a totally separate deal and doesn't mess with the fueling. It just fools the ECU into thinking you're in 3rd gear when you're actually in 1st or 2nd. Went for my first ride today and the bike ran great. Nice difference especially in 2nd gear. This is not a super-expensive mod and I can't imagine anyone with a VFR1200F that wouldn't want to do this. It doesn't change the bike significantly or turn it into a fire-breathing monster. It just makes it react to the throttle the way you'd expect it to.

The chart makes it look as if there is upwards of 50 untapped hp in 2nd gear if you decide to roll on it... I would think that for a light to light race, this mod is going to make this bike significantly quicker....?

The chart makes it look as if there is upwards of 50 untapped hp in 2nd gear if you decide to roll on it... I would think that for a light to light race, this mod is going to make this bike significantly quicker....?

The difference restricted / un restricted is not that big. In all day use say touring around the block the difference is not so clear. But if you go into the mountains and you ride in a more sports style out of hairpins, the difference is very clear. The torque low down is always present. Just as to be expect with a 1200 cc engine. I have fiited an akrapovic exhaust and a PC-v. The oem lazyness lowdown is completely gone. Power output is far more liniair. So driveability has improved a lot. That is what i needed.

Why is the mod not working on a DCT model ? The aswer is simpel. If the ecu or the rider has chosen 1st gear the ecu has to know if the gear change was sucsesfull and ready. ( It is a closed loop system ). If you remove the feedback ( do the mod ) the ecu gets no feedback its waiting if the gear change was made. The DCT will not make another gear change . So a work arround is not easy you will need a "fooling" ecu that gets the gearchange triggers from the main DCT ecu.

I did manage to get the gear indicator right even with the mod applied. I have decoded the link between the ecu the tach unit and the gearposition switch. It needed a pic processor and some C++ programming to get it working.

Guest sanemancured

The difference restricted / un restricted is not that big. In all day use say touring around the block the difference is not so clear. But if you go into the mountains and you ride in a more sports style out of hairpins, the difference is very clear. The torque low down is always present. Just as to be expect with a 1200 cc engine. I have fiited an akrapovic exhaust and a PC-v. The oem lazyness lowdown is completely gone. Power output is far more liniair. So driveability has improved a lot. That is what i needed.

I did manage to get the gear indicator right even with the mod applied. I have decoded the link between the ecu the tach unit and the gearposition switch. It needed a pic processor and some C++ programming to get it working.

The total extra horses will only be accessed with a wide open throttle and the engine on full load. If you start to wind it open that much in 1st and 2nd it'll be time to change up way before you get there :D

Great work re gear indicator :)

Cool. Sell that to Bazazz. Perhaps they can incorporate it into the Z-Bomb. They have the connectors now. Maybe you could work together. Nice work DutchGixxer.

Edited by interceptorrider

Damn great job DutchGixxer and thanks for all your research. I spoke with Bazzaz they thanked me for testing the z-bomb on the DCT. Yes it was a long shot but nothin risked nothing gained. It looks as though I’m in for a FI unit with auto tune and slip-on to smooth out the bottom end.

Side note - I called Honda to express my concerns about power delivery.

Guest lnelson

For those that have installed mods, out of the available (exhaust, fuel-injection, and derestriction), which provided the most noticeable gain? I own a DCT, so the derestriction is a no-go for me (unless ECUnleashed comes through, see my other post). I'm trying to decide if a PCV and an auto-tune is worth the cash, or if I'm just wasting my time without the derestriction. Like most, I'm just hoping to firm-up the bottom end.

Dutch, I have read that a DCT is not able to be Dyno'd ie the custom map...

Has the work around been posted? Or do you mean some one rides the bike ten goes back to the software to make changes?

Guest GuitarX

Inelson, I have the three mods you mentioned. I don't know how much difference the end can made as I bought the bike with the can installed from the dealer. Since it's just a can and not a full exhaust I'm guessing it wasn't a huge difference, except in sound. For me, the de-restriction made the most difference. From looking at my before and after dyno results from the PCV/Auto Tune install, the VFR is already quite smooth throughout the rev range. The PCV added some hp but really couldn't smooth things out much more than they already were, therefore the bike didn't feel much different. Getting rid of the power dips in 1st and 2nd gear due to the artificial restrictions made a difference I could easily notice. If I had to choose one of those three mods, it would be the Z-Bomb.

It is possible to dyno a DCT. You have to fool de ECU : take the ABS sensor and sensor ring. Make an interface ring and holder and attach them on the rear wheel.

The ecu "thinks" that the front wheel is turning and the DCT will shift gears.

I have dynoed my mates DCT it took some effort but we have managed it :rolleyes:

• Like 1

tried to speak to Honda reps at Int MC show in NYC this weekend...they were extremely unreceptive, bordering on rude to me they did not want to hear about it or even acknowledge the problem... total BS !!! i am very disappointed in Honda ...makes me wonder if the have any interest at all any more in selling motorcycles.....i have owned a Honda since 1971, didn't seem to phase them....spent some time speaking to Dante at the Bazzaz booth with much better results....still don't think i should have to spend $1000 to make a $16,000 bike run correctly Honda acted like i was making this stuff up !!!!!

Their reaction is classic. No business wants their "laundry" aired in public at an event where they are promoting their product. While I appreciate your passion, Honda's reaction is pretty normal. Honda has often been slow to react to problems. I also own a 2008 Accord and a class action suit was filed and won to ensure that repairs to my rear brakes due to a dragging pad problem were covered by Honda. I think Honda would have resolved it through a recall program eventually, but the suit forced their hand.

@ africord... i was very discrete when talking to Honda reps at the bike show !! i made a point of waiting till i got him one on one to discuss this...more calls to customer service are in order

I ordered two z-bombs today... Unless someone gets a picture install before, I will post one after the mod.

P.S. My buddy put one of those DAM exhausts on his vfr1200, and it sounds sweet. I can now hear him coming from a couple blocks away. Before, I couldn't hear him on my porch... :-) The DAM tucks in closer to the wheel, and doesn't use springs like the other exhausts. It looks to be of good quality.

I received the z-bomb today. 10 minutes later I was testing it in 35 degree weather. It definitely smoothed out the power delivery from down low in 1st and even more noticeably in 2nd. It did NOT turn the bike into an uncontrollable beast. If anything, it feels more manageable since the power delivery is more linear. It really is hard to figure out why Honda neutered the bike so much in that rpm range in 1st and 2nd. Most of our twisties are open enough that 3rd is "the gear" to be in. So, the 1st, 2nd neutering wasn't a huge deal. I loved the bike before and now its even better. Definitely worth the $73.00.

$73 ! ? :blink:

Cost including shipping for a plug and play solution. Instalation takes 4 minutes. If I want it removed, it would takes 3 minutes. Your solution is cheaper, but reversal is a tad more time. Your work on this has been very helpful to all of us. Thank you Dutchgixxer.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I never posted my opinion...Well here it is: THIS THING IS THE BOMB!

Definitely worth every penny. Cleaned up the power in 1st and 2nd as advertised.

I Highly recommend this one.

• Forum CEO

I ordered one - most of my surging and lagging issues were solved when I took the oem muffler off and replaced it with the leo vince but there is still a bit of lag in 2nd gear. I looked hard at the dutchgixxer mod but well Iike the gear indicator to work correctly - I am a bit anal about that. I just had a few issues when I started to pass a car in the mountains from a slow start 25 mph in 2nd gear and then I twisted the throttle and it lagged on me for bit - dont want that to happen anymore, nothing worse then pulling out into the other lane to go around a car and you get a little power lag! Of course it spooled up but it wasn't instant like it needs to be. The old girl 1998 never once did that to me!

It just seemed the fueling went into some kind of saver mode and had to be coaxed out of it to get the power on. It was worse with the flapper valve in the oem exhaust hated that - it did not help low rpm torque at all it just smothered it. It usually does not happen cause I tend to not let the bike rev so low or I am already spooled up before I try a pass. Honestly it has more passing power in 4th then 2nd sometimes.