Luggage Rack that is not for a top box

PatrickM

I'm sure this question has been asked a few times before and my apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here but... Is there anyone that makes a regular, "old school" even, luggage rack for a VTEC VFR?

I've seen the SW Moto and Givi varieties but I am looking for something a little more conventional that I can strap one of these Wolfman Dry Bags to.

Wolfman_Expdedition_Dry_Duffle_Black.jpg

I just need a flat base, with cross tubing or a grated surface where I can loop the straps through. Also I should note that I'm using the OEM hardbags too. So there is that hardware in place.

I remember reading a post about a brand out of Germany that made something similar to what Im looking for.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

• Member Contributer

Ventura might make a rack that works with your setup. It's just a question about whether they will work with the OEM siderack and the grab handles

• Member Contributer

http://www.ventura-b...spx?modelid=344

Here is the link for Ventura. They come with different sized upper "hoops" if you want a taller vertical support. The "sport rack" is the shorter version and the "pack rack" is the taller of the two that is designed to hold a larger pack. I found mine in our classified section on VFRD and it happened to be the Pack Rack which was too tall for use with my JC Whitney trunk. I just took a hack saw to the hoop and cut it down to fit my needs. I plugged the open exposed ends with rubber "corks" that I found at my local Ace Hardware store. I have had the rack for about 4 years, it mounts in about 5 minutes and I've experienced no issues.

I will manufacture and sell you this set-up for the low price of $298.99. You won't even have to strap down your Wolfman duffle, just throw it in and ride. PM me your shipping address and I'll send you my PayPal account.

3400222402_c40da2b81e.jpg

• Member Contributer

SW Motech makes a top rack for the VFR and they make a soft luggage adapter. Give Twistedthrottle a look see.

3960-425x350.jpg

Soft luggage adapter.

11799-425x350.jpg

I use the same Wolfman bag for my camping crap...........waterproof and light!

I have the Ventura rack fitted to mine, had them on a lot of bikes. I've got several size bags that go with it, use them solo or they can be zipped together on the rack in no time. Once on the rack they use clip buckles (adjustable) to hold it in place, easy to get on & off. On my old bike, with both bags packed, never had a problem with them at speed & wind upsetting the plot. I also got an additional center piece for when I'm not using the rack section & turns it into a really great grab rail. On the VFR you can position the rack either facing out or in (covering the pillion seat)

Rack on the VFR

NewBike007.jpg

Center Piece

PICT0003a.jpg

And 2 bags zipped together on my old bike. I've had these bags for years, so they are a bit faded.

Tamworth2008.jpg

What the rack looks like without bags. (Only pic without bags was from the dealers site when they advertised my trade)

Ad.jpg

• Member Contributer

i think these used to be called rentech... just make sure you don't overload them. you will find you're luggage/topcase rolling down the highways behind you. ask me how i know:) other than that, it is an excelllent rack!

i think it is rated at, like 10 lbs, and with 'normal' use it is more that good enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirtbag (no offense):

Ok, I'll bite. What happened with your rack (assuming you're a guy) that caused your luggage to go rolling down the highway. It looks pretty sturdy although I question the wisdom of having the bolts go through the tubing. I'm working with a local company (T-Rex) to manufacture a generic rear rack mount that would allow putting pretty much anything you wanted back there. I want to put a top case on and every mount I've seen is either not strong enough, too expensive or eliminates the use of the rear seat. My design uses the same mount points only instead of the bolts going thru the tubing, the bolts attach plates that the tubes are welded to. Kind of like the SW Motech rack but much much heavier/stronger. They attach on top of the grab bars with steel spacers for clearance from the grab bars. I have the givi side bags and this would mount the same regardless of whether someone has the luggage or not. It should be ready in a few days and I'll post pictures. My topcase should be here this weekend so I can put it on as soon as I get my bike back.

So was it a problem with that mount point? I'm guessing not since the OE mounts use them as does pretty much every other rack I've seen.

PS. If anyone is interested, they are also making some no cut frame slider mounts with a design I gave them. They came up with a good modification that will make them even better. They should be on the bike when I get it back so I'll post pictures of that as well.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

hey,

the rack broke just aft of the joint. the renntech has a joint with a solid piece inside the tube to add strength. just behind the solid plug, it cracked. i think the arm lenght + my chronic overloading simply fatigued the tubing. some thicker wall/higher grade materials should solve the probs. there was no issues that i experienced with the mouning or the actual rack portion.

i went diggin around and i musta threw it out.

just found this pic:

post-1601-0-84668500-1323403239.jpg

Dirtbag:

Yeah, looks like they used tubing that was too thin walled. Possibly some rust started at those welds and it eventually cracked. The tubing I'm using on the rack is 3/4" OD with .065" wall thickness, very strong but not too heavy. Hard as hell to bend. I used it to make the rack I made for my Ninja 650R. Been on there for about 1 1/2 yrs and I've often put 20-30lbs or more of stuff in the top case. So the rack for the VFR should be equally strong. They are going to double weld (top and bottom) the tubing to the plates that mount on the bolts for the grab bars. I've been riding the Ninja for the last week and I REALLY miss the VFR (withdrawal of some sort).

• 2 weeks later...

Here are pictures of the rear rack that T-Rex put together for me when they had my bike to design a new no-cut frame slider. Cost about $20 for materials which I drilled, cut, and bent. They welded and powder coated. VERRY sturdy. I put about 100lbs of my weight on the back end of it after it was on the bike.

post-23697-0-41992400-1324608658.jpg

Here it is with a top case attached. Boy, every spec of dust on it shows up in the picture.

post-23697-0-53004400-1324608623.jpg

post-23697-0-19683000-1324608593.jpg

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out.

• 6 months later...

SW Motech makes a top rack for the VFR and they make a soft luggage adapter. Give Twistedthrottle a look see.

3960-425x350.jpg

Soft luggage adapter.

11799-425x350.jpg

I use the same Wolfman bag for my camping crap...........waterproof and light!

This one looks good!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived