Laptop as a do it all on a moto?

DownAndOutNYC

I've been looking for something of an upgrade to my current Garmin nuvi, but haven't found anything I like so far. After just doing some browsing, I realized how cheap the price of MS Streets & Trips with the GPS module is, and got to thinking about using or making a "car PC" type device, but for the motorcycle. With such a device, I can have it work exactly how I wish it to work, with all the features I'm looking for, and not have to deal with the shortcomings of all-in-one devices (stand alone GPS or smart phones). So has anyone ever dabbled into this realm of farkles for thier two wheels?

• Member Contributer

I've never heard of anyone doing this, but it seems like an interesting project. I could see it with a small netbook or a small android tablet might be another option... it's much easier to write your own apps for droid than iOS.

What are you thinking? Would you tap into the bikes computer to get data or just use GPS data for speed and location and such?

• Member Contributer

The GPS is probably going to have more capabilities.

I had the Streets and Trips GPS module before we had a real GPS. It was an awesome upgrade from my palm m500 with GPS module.

Route customization would be absolutely wonderful. But now you have to worry if your bike can provide enough juice to keep the laptop running (11V-19V @ 2-5A), need to figure out where to store it, need to figure out where to put a screen, waterproofing, and so on.

• Member Contributer

I used Streets and Trips with GPS ant on my last truck trip with my 13 inch laptop. I navigated with it but I had my trusty Zumo mounted as well. The S&T remote GPS receiver works great.

While I am a big fan of S&T on the destop/laptop it was no contest as the Zumo is so much easier to use in a vehicle....on a Motorcycle S&T would be a PITA.. Years ago there used to be version for PDAs and I suspect eventually there may be a smartphone app downstream.

I'm with BonusVFR, laptop would be difficult to mount on a bike.

Take a look at the Dual XGPS150 Univerasal Bluetooth GPS Receiver. I don't know anyone who has tried it, but seems more plausible in terms of power usage, form factor, etc.

http://store.androidcentral.com/dual-xgps150-universal-bluetooth-gps-receiver/184A95A8414.htm

You'll be limited in ability to customize, but if it can get you from A to B where cellphone signal drops off, it would be worth considering. At US$89.95, it's a bit more than the US$69.95 2011 MS Street & Trips w/ GPS Locator.

I am a reasonable techie. Don't get me wrong, not having a go at anyone here but I don't understand the need of/fascination with GPS units. I have my trusty iPhone. Can download software for it and can mount it to bike if I want to. If I am planning a ride then I am more likely to print a Google map and stick it to the tank - or memorise and use road signs.

To each his own, I realise that. If you're touring Europe then I can see a definite benefit. In my mind if you're paying too much attention to a GPS then you're not watching the road, and you're not exploring with abandonment. If you take a wrong turn, you figure out a way back/forward and enjoy the detour you were destined to make!

If I am missing something, please enlighten me :smile:

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

WestofBen no englightment here but ..................I use the GPS voice directions which actually makes it safer for me. Indeed I have found that while riding a motorcycle it is often more dangerous when you are constantly looking for a sign or a street name for miles and miles. Did I miss it???? Dunno??????????? With GPS the device tells you when you should look for the signs. You still explore with GPS ..........really! On tour I use both Maps and a GPS.

That's a fair call and yes you have enlightened me. I think the reason I have not considered it is because I am not interested in having a BT headset or another form of earpiece going on, or at least I haven't been on any major tour.

I am now the wiser.

Archived