3rd gen starting ... what a noise!!

bmv

Anyone out there who might have an idea what the problem could be?

Every once in a while when starting the bike it sounds like a grinding noise. I then let off the starter button and try again. Sometimes the same thing, sometimes it starts normally. It is intermittent when the noise happens. What could be damaged and possibly slipping out of position and then back into position for a quiet start up?

Greatly appreciate any insight.

Cheers,

Mike

• Member Contributer

being the deaf guy, i can only guess what your hearing..

the starter clutch gear may be cracked.. if the starter spins but engine doesnt...or only sometimes.. you have found the problem.

Thanks gll429 for your response.

Good question. Not sure, it was very loud though. (or is that like the blind leading the blind??) :rolleyes:

I had a mechanic take it apart, he heard the noise as well. First he told me it was the starter. He did the work to re-build it, gave me the bill and my bike and it continued doing this a week after. Now he has pulled the clutch cover of the right side and is explaining to me the primary starter gear is slipping. There is minor wear (like a thou of wear) inside the clutch cover where the primary starter gear comes into contact with the cover. He says the P.S.G. slips at this wear point. He wants to replace the clutch cover, the P.S.G., the center pin and washer in behind to eliminate the point of contact that causes the slipping.

I am not so sure??? I would hate to have to replace those parts and still have the noise.

Would pictures help??

Thanks again!

Mike

• Member Contributer

sounds weird .. ( sorry couldn't resist) :tongue:

ok.. YOU can check this stuff out your self..

park the bike on its kickstand. remove the clutch side lower body.

put a $1 store bake pan under the clutch cover.. remove the cover inspect the parts. use the RON AYERS .COM fiche the "pulse generator" page/pic i bet you part number 5 is cracked.. therefore is not allowing the rollers to fully engage..creating the shreeeeeeeeeeeek!

you will need A VICE to hold the starter clutch while you take it apart.... or just take it to him and WATCH him do it. should take 3 minutes... if that.

here is why i think he is wrong.. the part that holds the gear in place. DOESN'T SPIN!.. yes there are shafts that the starter clutch spins and gears ON.... but to replace the whole case cover?? sounds like he is buys stuff for xmas.

The PSG is bolted to the crank case, there is no way it can slip when the bolts are properly tightened. A little wear on the inside of the clutch cover is nothing to be worried about. I think what you ar hearing is the starter clutch not engaging, Happens to mine sometimes too and last time I checked it was in perfect condition so I do not worry about it.

• Member Contributer

Never had this happen with the bike, but I did have the same issue with one of my cars. It turned out that the flywheel had a few teeth chipped and the clutch gear would not engage if the flywheel happened to be positioned just so. This explains it being intermittent.

Check the teeth on the gear which is being turned by the starter.

• Member Contributer

Well, as has already been said: starter clutch. Sure, it could maybe possibly be something else, but the most likely thing is that. RC36 starter clutches crack all the time and that noise is the result. Search around and find a pic--the cracks are tiny. (Here's a thread on another forum about the repair--but note that the cracks depicted there are huge, compared to most!) The starter clutch is probably the second weakest link in the bike's design (after the charging system, considered as a whole, of course).

Ciao,

gll429, V4Rosso, Rice and JZH,

Thanks guys!! Great feedback that I have forwarded to the guy doing the work on my bike. I will try to get there to have a look at it my self as well once. That link was so helpful JZH.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Damnation!! I should have asked before this guy pulled it apart. I hate the feeling of (possibly) getting taken by someone when it comes to bike or automotive maintenance.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again guys!

Mike

Another vote for starter clutch, if it does then the pins that hold the gear to the shaft will intermittently grab, sounds just like your symptoms

Check all of the teeth from the starter to the clutch drum gear to make sure there aren't any chipped like Rice said, but my money's on the starter clutch

• Member Contributer

Damnation!! I should have asked before this guy pulled it apart. I hate the feeling of (possibly) getting taken by someone when it comes to bike or automotive maintenance.

No worries, your mechanic probably wasn't trying to rip you off; he just doesn't know VFRs like a large group of unhealthily obsessed VFR fanatics... :tongue:

Ciao,

Mine makes a noise similar to this....i think

Like the starters turning ,but not quite meshing with whatever..

Dunno if its the same

It happens very infrequently

Not given it much thought

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally got to see what was happening. No chipped teeth, no cracks in the starter clutch.

Everything looks great ... well ... almost. Going to replace parts 6,7&14 in the following diagram. The spring lengths are not consistent (part #6) and the small pins (part #7) are not the same shape at the top and one is slightly shorter. Seems to have been worn down at the top.

Hopefully have the bike re-assembled later this week. I will follow up with how things work out.

Thanks again for the feedback, greatly appreciated! And thanks for posting this diagram mmatt.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Mine is a 1995. Is that a 3'rd generation ?? I don't know. Mine has started to do the same thing. But only intermittently AND ONLY WHEN IT'S COLD outside. Cold being under 40 degrees or so. I have just over 90,000 miles. Contrary to what others might do.....if mine becomes a severe problem, I'll bring it to GLL429 and have him do his thing.

hoopdc, your is a 4th gen ('94-'97). From what I have gathered, this same problem arises occasionally in the 4th gen bikes.

I still have not received my bike back, now the guy is working on the electrical --- parts bought from tightwad's "WireMyBike.com". Hopefully in the next two weeks i will get my bike back and have an idea whether it has been properly fixed ...

Ugh!

• 2 months later...

From JZH .......

"No worries, your mechanic probably wasn't trying to rip you off; he just doesn't know VFRs like a large group of unhealthily obsessed VFR fanatics... :tongue: "

Truer words were never spoken!!

I am at a loss for words on this guy ....

FInally got my bike back ... new Starter, new Starter Relay, new wiring connection from WireMyBike, replaced starter clutch springs and pin-like dohickeys and some rollers AND ..... get this .... occasionally still makes the same friggin' noise when starting!!!

Talk about bringing the bike to the wrong guy!!

Anyway, it starts, runs and if it continues to make the same noise more frequently, then I might just start wrenching on it myself and trouble shoot the problem on my own .... the saga continues ...

Other than that, temps are nice here in the GTA of the GWN and I've ridden a few time already.

Thank you to the crew here who helped with suggestions and input about what the problem might be, greatly appreciated!

Be well and ride safely everyone.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far so good with mine.

The last time the guy pulled it apart he indicated he found a collapsed bearing inside the starter drive. At that point, I asked that he just put the bike back together and I would pick up and deal with it another time. I suspect it will make the noise intermittently but for now it has been working quite well. I knock on wood after saying that.

Enjoy the riding weather ...

Ride safely everyone.

Archived