Valve clearance, dealers refuses to check

Dae

• Member Contributer

:lobby:

That is a steep hourly rate, even the dealers in NL would blush.....

If you do not have (read want to make) the time to do some of the work yourself then that is what you will pay.

I believe anyone with a set of decent tools, ability to read (the manual/schematics) can change the oil, coolant and spark plugs.

Brakes takes more skill/confidence and tools, untill I got speedbleeders I gladly let the dealer do them (non ABS 4th Gen).

Valve checkes....

:lobby:

At the 1st 2 service intervals I asked my dealer if a valve check was really due. He replied "Do you like burning banknotes?" He being a Honda dealer had opened up manier VFR engines and felt it a waste of money (but some customers wanted it done so they did).

so at 55k miles she has never been openened. Should th engine fail at some point, a complete second hand engine goes for 350bucks...

Back to your VFR1200, I would maybe have a valvecheck done at 32k, maybe...

Bottom line?

time and desire to do some yourself? Go for it.

and when the time comes for the valve check, you strip the bike's bodywork (time the shop will not have to charge you for), tow the bike to Orlando, eat a good steak from the money you saved, tow the bike back and affix the panels again...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same issue with the shop in my area. I TOLD them to check the valves on my magna and they said it wasn't needed. I again TOLD them to do it and they agreed. IF it was done? IDK

• Member Contributer

+1. My sixth gen 06 has 32,000 km. I kept putting off the valve check because of the cost and after reading all the discussions about how unnecessary it was.

I had a trip to The Gap planned and wanted the bike running right in every respect so I decided it was time to take the plunge. Two exhaust on the VTEC side and two intake on the non-VTEC side were out of spec. It cost me a fortune but I'm glad I had it done.

Here's what was interesting about this experience:

I had to order the 2 replacement buckets from Honda and pick them up at a Honda dealer. While there I asked what the cost of a valve check service was. The lady at the service desk said $250. I told her that I think she was mistaken; that it was much higher than that. She went over to the head mechanic and asked him; he looked over his shoulder at me and told me not to waste my money, that "it was absolutely not necessary; that the valves on these bikes rarely need adjusting".

I thanked them for the parts and went on my way....

i'm going to pass on the 32K interval (about 1000 miles away)....had them checked at 17,500 and no adjustment needed...also changed the spark plugs which were in perfect condition....top end is still quiet, i change my oil every 3000 miles, with BelRay EXP, synthetic blend....maybe 48k

Archived