Powerlet socket size?

CharlesW

• Member Contributer

Having done a search, it appears that the Powerlet steering head oulet does not accept a standard automotive cigarette lighter style connector.

Correct?

So, I guess that means I can't use my Garmin supplied power cord with the Powerlet without some type of adaptor.

I like the idea of the steering head mount, but I don't like it enough to have a bunch of adaptors to use it.

An automotive style socket may be a better solution for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the Powerlet.

Or.....

Steer me toward a mount for the automotive cigarette lighter/power socket.

• Member Contributer

Check out wire my bike.com. I seem to remember a compact adaptor that my be the solution

Thanks.

I did see that, but it doesn't appear to be very compact.

Right now, a standard lighter socket in a separate mount looks more like what I'm going to be looking at.

In fact,I may just use the GPS battery power since I really don't take long trips.

I've been looking at the same steering head socket, and I thought it was the same as an auto cig lighter. It says it will charge phones, GPS etc. Am I wrong?

The very advantage to the powerlet plugs (and many other smaller plug formats) is that they are NOT the kludgy old cigarette lighter plugs, which are an awkward hold over from the old days. Your best bet is to stay with the powerlet in the steering head and replace any and all cigarette lighter plugs with the proper powerlet plug. The powerlet plug has screw connectors inside so it's quite easy. Why these horrible cigarette lighter plugs and sockets are still in existence is beyond me.

• Member Contributer

The very advantage to the powerlet plugs (and many other smaller plug formats) is that they are NOT the kludgy old cigarette lighter plugs, which are an awkward hold over from the old days. Your best bet is to stay with the powerlet in the steering head and replace any and all cigarette lighter plugs with the proper powerlet plug. The powerlet plug has screw connectors inside so it's quite easy. Why these horrible cigarette lighter plugs and sockets are still in existence is beyond me.

My GPS lighter plug is also the transformer to reduce the 12 volts to the 5 volts needed by the GPS.

Your suggestion sounds like a good way to fry my GPS.

Same thing is true for my cell phone.

What am I missing here?

• Member Contributer

you have a few options...

the Powerlet to cigarette lighter socket (12v to 12V)

gallery_8974_5226_403782.jpg

so you can use your cable that came with the unit.

disadvantage is that the cable will be way too long

or the specific Powerlet to Garmin cable (12v to 5v, comes with an extension that had the 90 degree angled mini USB

27d037ac.jpg

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

It's easy enough to pick up a 12V Cig Lighter style that has a fused connection you can hook up directly to the battery. You can either mount it in the plastics near the dash, or, simply use two zip ties to secure it snug up close to the tank where it is almost invisible. They are sold with a cover that keeps out the weather, and it's a simple, inexpensive solution.

If you go the powerlet route you will either need to pick up powerlet specific cords for your electronics or an adapter to step it to a 12V cig style plug. Your choice.

• Member Contributer

It's easy enough to pick up a 12V Cig Lighter style that has a fused connection you can hook up directly to the battery. You can either mount it in the plastics near the dash, or, simply use two zip ties to secure it snug up close to the tank where it is almost invisible. They are sold with a cover that keeps out the weather, and it's a simple, inexpensive solution.

If you go the powerlet route you will either need to pick up powerlet specific cords for your electronics or an adapter to step it to a 12V cig style plug. Your choice.

Substitute cheap for inexpensive and you have me pegged.

The Powerlet looked like a great idea, (Still does), but it seems like I will spend a lot more for the system with the outlet and the various cords whereas the cig. lighter socket will be very inexpensive. (Cheap)

Thanks to all for the suggestions. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

A follow-up with my cheap and easy solution.

Custom Accessories - Power Port (Short pigtail connector which I cut off)

Part Number: 10722

$3.99

Intended for use at a trailer hitch and has a cover.

Littelfuse - Fuse Holder/Less fuse ( And yes, the company does spell it Littelfuse.)

Part Number: FHAC2BP

$3.29

With a weather tight cover.

Had fuses, had wire, had connectors, had zip ties.

Zip tied to upper triple clamp next to the ignition switch.

Pretty easy and definitelycheap.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to install a power socket (cigarette lighter type) at the steering head socket.

I bought one from ebay ($7.15) but the it's too big (big diameter) so unable to fit with the steering head socket.

Followed the link to Powerlet products, I found it so expensive for a power socket ($40-45).

Anyone knows where I can get the same (size) power socket for the steering head with reasonable price?

Thank you!

• Member Contributer

I've got one in my stem. First year, yes it was a bit cumbersome with everything in there.

Now have most onboard accessories hardwired (how to coming) but still have a compact adaptor that I always carry. Handy for any charging or emerg. power needs.

I'll try and shoot a pick of it later this weekend and have to struggle to remember where I got it.

I'd wire it to a powerbox/relay then buy the Powerlet that attaches down by the passenger peg for emergency power like a tire pump, heated vest, etc. I have hardwired my accessories and it works much better - you're not screwing around with more cords dangling everywhere. Get on, pop in the GPS, turn on the heated grips and roar off - no plugging required.

Here's the one I used and it has plenty of room for extras -

PC-8 Fuse Panel

I've got one in my stem. First year, yes it was a bit cumbersome with everything in there.

Now have most onboard accessories hardwired (how to coming) but still have a compact adaptor that I always carry. Handy for any charging or emerg. power needs.

I'll try and shoot a pick of it later this weekend and have to struggle to remember where I got it.

Thank for your info. I gotta buy one, but the price of Powerlet is too much higher than it should be.

I'd wire it to a powerbox/relay then buy the Powerlet that attaches down by the passenger peg for emergency power like a tire pump, heated vest, etc. I have hardwired my accessories and it works much better - you're not screwing around with more cords dangling everywhere. Get on, pop in the GPS, turn on the heated grips and roar off - no plugging required.

Here's the one I used and it has plenty of room for extras -

PC-8 Fuse Panel

Cool panel Bro! It will centralize all the extended power outlet and very much convenience for maintenance and repair.

I plan to install a power socket (cigarette lighter type) at the steering head socket.

I bought one from ebay ($7.15) but the it's too big (big diameter) so unable to fit with the steering head socket.

Followed the link to Powerlet products, I found it so expensive for a power socket ($40-45).

Anyone knows where I can get the same (size) power socket for the steering head with reasonable price?

Thank you!

Anyone knows, please...

Archived