Forks squeaking?

46alpha

• Member Contributer

This is gonna sound crazy, but I've noticed my front suspension is squeaking over bumps. 6th gen with 20K on it, never had any work done on it. Is it time for some fork work?

This is gonna sound crazy, but I've noticed my front suspension is squeaking over bumps. 6th gen with 20K on it, never had any work done on it. Is it time for some fork work?

The most neglected area on the front end is the streering bearing, they will become lose quickly right off the floor, never tighten without performing some sort of servicing. if you really think its the forks squirt some armoral on your seal dust covers. Armoral is outstanding for stiction, and very beneficial to seal life.

But at 20,000 your oil is going to be severally trashed, if never changed

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Keep the uppers clean, and the dust seals conditioned. Well that, and change the fork oil at least every 10K. Twice as often if you ride aggressively on bumpy roads.

• Member Contributer

Most often this is due to the springs rubbing the inside of the forks. That happens normally but sometimes it results in noise. I would pop the caps off and make sure the springs and spacers are centered properly. Chance are good that will fix it.

Archived