2000 VFR In Toronto

Guest Sandy

Hi, been riding my 2000 VRF since new. I new about this forum, but never got around to joining. The dirty little secret - I am hoping someone on this forum can recommend a good aftermarket fairing supplier. Had a nasty crash earlier this summer. I am over the worst, and looking to get back in the saddle. Which is the best forum to post a question like this?

• Member Contributer

Sandy welcome. Best to post in the wtb classifed!!!!

Hi, been riding my 2000 VRF since new. I new about this forum, but never got around to joining. The dirty little secret - I am hoping someone on this forum can recommend a good aftermarket fairing supplier. Had a nasty crash earlier this summer. I am over the worst, and looking to get back in the saddle. Which is the best forum to post a question like this?

Sandy, welcome! Sorry to hear about your crash. I have heard some members say the Chinese replacements for the 6th gens are useable but IDK on the 5th gen. good luck!

Welcome.... as long as you are not a Leafs fan :biggrin:

A lot of chinese fairings on Ebay, have a look.

Thanks for the info guys - yea - I am concerned about the chinese quality - might just drop the big bucks on the Honda OEM stuff.

Welcome aboard.

Maybe this website is usefull: http://www.parts-motorbike.com/HONDA%20VFR%20800%20800i%20kuipdelen%20kuipset%20kuipen%20kappenset%20kuipsets%20kappen/VFR%20800%201998%201999%202000%202001%2098-01

Succes

• 3 weeks later...

The Chinese fairings are about universally crap.

I was briefly considering them at one point, and am glad I did not.

1: panels don't line up properly, there are gaps.

2: mounting points are not reinforced, and tend to snap off when coerced into place because the panels do not quite fit right (see #1 above)

3: mounting points are not provided with correct threaded brass inserts, so even if you DO manage to get them aligned, you are stuck using a #8 wood screw directly into the plastic mounting post, which tends to snap off because it's not reinforced (see #2 above)

What I did was source lightly scuffed, but not cracked, panels off EBAY (didn't care about the colour) and had them professionally painted.

The paint cost me $900 for the entire bike, and the decals another hundred and twenty.

But that was three colours, so lots of masking and reapplying different colours. A single colour might be cheaper.

When you compare it to the cost of OEM plastics, a total repaint starts to look like a bargain!

~$365 bucks per side for the lower fairings from Ronayers.com, and $382 for the upper cowl. $609 for a fuel tank, $322 for the rear cowl, $133 for the solo seat cowl, $165 for the front fender, $2341 for a COMPLETE set of bodywork with fuel tank.

And those prices could be more depending on colour choice from Honda, as some certain colour pieces are priced more than I listed above.

Ask around at your local racetrack and see who the racers use for their trackbikes to get their painting done.

gallery_554_5200_1993573.jpg

100_0477.JPG

gallery_554_5559_3258163.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

• 3 months later...

Is that blue red white kit above one of those ebay deals or?

I think it was a custom job, but nobody seems to know whose bike it is?

That's the only pic I've ever seen of it, would like to see more though.

It looks wicked good!

Performance Bikes mag has been saying good things about chinese stuff they bought from a place called auctmart.com or something like that. Said fit and finish was good and paint as well. I looked at it once out of curiosity and they had 5th gen and later I think.

• Member Contributer

PM me about repairs and painting as I am not too far away and may be able to help out.

Archived