Touring Suit

Guest Ike

Hey there all, I have been doing a good bit of touring lately and am starting to realize that my Dainese race gear that I bought for my old CBR is not all that suited for touring on the viffer. I was curious if anyone could recommend a really good suit (one or two-piece are both o.k. - two-piece preferred though) that might make the touring in my sport-touring a bit more enjoyable :)

• Member Contributer

Hey there all, I have been doing a good bit of touring lately and am starting to realize that my Dainese race gear that I bought for my old CBR is not all that suited for touring on the viffer. I was curious if anyone could recommend a really good suit (one or two-piece are both o.k. - two-piece preferred though) that might make the touring in my sport-touring a bit more enjoyable :)

Howdy,

I really enjoy my Transit, by Aerostich. 2 pieces, leather, waterproof, very high level of protection, and not as hot as you would think.

Here's hoping it will last ten years!

Mac

i have the Aerostitch Transit Suit (thanks Mac!). Waterproof leather, not too hot etc. I really like it.

• Member Contributer

i have the Aerostitch Transit Suit (thanks Mac!). Waterproof leather, not too hot etc. I really like it.

Was good business-

Glad you are enjoying it!

Mac

How about a good regular set of leathers and a good slip-on rainproof shell for $50??

C

I actually have both already :) the only problem I find is that the leathers are so aggressive that it gets uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. I don't know if there are special leather suits (other than aforementioned aerostich) that are primarily for touring?

• Member Contributer

I have Olympia stuff and it is holding up very well over 3+ years and 30,000+ miles. You just have to deal with looking like a BMW rider. :biggrin:

Specifically:

Airglide pants

I don't see the jacket I have, but if I had to replace it I would probably go with the Airglide jacket.

I like the two-piece stuff because personally I will always wear the jacket but am fickle about the pants depending on weather, day of the week, moon phase etc...

• Member Contributer

+1 for Olympia. I have the Viper jacket and Airglide pants. I use a rain suit over them as it is easier to take on and off than to put the liners in and out, and my experience is that the liners are not very water proof. I did have a Phantom 1 piece suit. Bought it used and it didn't fit, so I resold it. Looked to be a great suit, wish it had fit.

There are a few textile touring/commuting suits out there in that price range. Tourmaster Centurion, Olympia Phantom, JR Survivor, Teiz Motorsports. I have the Survivor and it's OK, waterproof (so far) and well made, but typically Joe Rocket with with cheezy back protection, overly branded and no hip armor, but CE elbow, shoulder & knees. It isn't as easy to get in and out of as a Roadcrafter, but much easier to pay for.

Tourmaster and First Gear offer good quality garments which are available within the $300-$400 price range you mentioned.

Fieldsheer also offers a variety of garments available over a fairly wide range of prices. I own a mesh riding suit and two jackets made by Fieldsheer and have been well pleased by the quality of materials and construction. In most cases their jackets and pants are designed to zip together for added protection.

Here's a seller that tends to offer a lot of choices...including some jacket and pant conbinations available for well under $200.

http://www.leatherup.com/

I recently purchased a Exelement jacket from Leatherup for $90 w/free shipping and and am pleased w/the purchase. At the time I was searching for a jacket that could be suitable for use in a wide variety of weather and temperature conditions and which could eliminate the need to also transport rain gear and a mesh jacket when planning to leave on an extended ride. The jacket has CE approved armor in the elbows, shoulders & back and includes both rain and thermal liners, each of which may be zipped inside of the outer shell individually or together. Also, these liners take up v/little storage space when they're not needed and have been unzipped from the jacket. The outer shell seems to be constructed of durable material and includes plenty of reflective material along with zippered vents in the sleeves and back. Overall I feel the quality of construction and materials is good...if not quite up to the standards of the garments I own which were made by FirstGear, Tourmaster & Aerostitch.

I also highly recommend Aerostitch cordura riding gear-with the caveat that this gear tends to be quite pricy. I purchased and used a Aerostitch Darian jacket and pants almost exclusively for well over ten years until I lost ~25 lbs and finally sold them. Even after all the years of heavy use, although "fashionably faded" both garments were still fully-functional. Although I've filled a small closet with riding jackets and pants from a variety of manufacturers over the years, I have not found anything that's as versatile and well constructed overall as my Aerostitch. About the only negative thing I could say about the Aerostitch is that while the garments were definitely rain resistant and could keep you dry during a brief shower, they were not waterproof and could not be relied on to do the same while you rode through a downpour or extended ride in the rain. As a result you'd be taking your chances by leaving home on an extended ride w/o also carrying rain gear to wear over the Aerostitch.

• Member Contributer

I use an Aerostitch Darien and it dosen't get any better for durability, user friendliness, storage capacity, and flexability...it's also customizable via accessories and is actually waterproof. I have the back protector and two liners (standard and heated). Once the suit is broken in its very comfortable...they are kind of stiff when new.

JMO

• Member Contributer

How about a good regular set of leathers and a good slip-on rainproof shell for $50??

C

I actually have both already :) the only problem I find is that the leathers are so aggressive that it gets uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. I don't know if there are special leather suits (other than aforementioned aerostich) that are primarily for touring?

Yes, there are leathers for touring: bottomless chaps!!! laughing6-hehe.gif just kidding. I was thinking that it would be a cheaper alternative to the best of the best Aerostich Touring that I couldn't afford either. Maybe you could get a set of bigger size leathers? Although I don't know, I'm pretty sure they make slightly bigger and more comfortable leathers for touring.

In any case, let us know if you find anything interesting.

C

I'll sell you my Joe Rocket Survivor for $150.00 if it fits you. Retail is $400.00.

I've decided I don't want to do the 1-piece thing anymore. It's a great piece of equipment, though the claim of "100% Waterproof" is a bit of a stretch. A thorough scotch-guarding would probably do it well.

I think it's a medium. It will fit if you're 5'9-5'11, 32-33" waist, 38-40" chest.

• Member Contributer

Love my Aerostitch, but they are not cheap!

gallery_6467_1043_35679.jpg

03-24-06 Escambia Co FL 013.jpg

Not cheap new but they can be bought for under $400 on eBay. I love mine, 8 years old now and still going strong.

I'll sell you my Joe Rocket Survivor for $150.00 if it fits you. Retail is $400.00.

I've decided I don't want to do the 1-piece thing anymore. It's a great piece of equipment, though the claim of "100% Waterproof" is a bit of a stretch. A thorough scotch-guarding would probably do it well.

I think it's a medium. It will fit if you're 5'9-5'11, 32-33" waist, 38-40" chest.

I may take you up on that! I'm going to do a bit of sleuthing and figure out what is going to suit me best. I really appreciate all the posts and I feel like I have a better idea now :) man, I love VFRD

I may take you up on that! I'm going to do a bit of sleuthing and figure out what is going to suit me best. I really appreciate all the posts and I feel like I have a better idea now :) man, I love VFRD

Those survivor suits are very good stuff. If that was my size, I would have already PM'ed you because that is a really good deal.

http://www.teizms.com/

The Teiz Motorsports suits are getting some pretty good reviews on forums like ADV rider, Sport-Touring.net, ect. Basically a budget Aerostitch so in some respects you get what you pay for but many are saying it is a really good value for the cost. Some are claiming better water resistance results than the Aerostitch suits which have long been known to be not nearly waterproof enough.

I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 3/4 length jacket that has proven very water resistant, warm in cold temps, vents ok in hot temps, and is comfortable. I just rode three hours in the rain last Saturday and the only place I got water in was where I left vents open on purpose to cool off. I have a pair of Joe Rocket waterproof textile pants that go with it and have had similar great results with it. When the rain really comes on heavy I do throw my Frog Togs on over the Touring gear for a bit of extra protection. I bought the Ballistic 7.0 jacket on sale at a local brick and mortar store that was having a close out sidewalk sale. I think I paid $100 for it and it has proven to be worth far more than that.

Oh here is a picture of my gear

DSC08531.JPG

on the left of course.

215463_10150168570014181_575244180_6617240_2128381_n.jpg

Archived