Vic Van to San Fran

• Member Contributer

gallery_17747_5296_32704.jpg

Squamishvfr is to be held responsible for four decent law abiding Canadians ending up incarcerated in Alcatraz for acts of relative mayhem on a ride down the West coast of USA.

In early news reports, the four were seen leaving Vancouver / Victoria area with the sun on their throttles and the wind at their back but it soon became apparent that this was to be no ordinary ride. Having primed themselves with lesser deeds such as the recent Island Run and the lesser advertised but equally sinister Duffy lake loop, the group decided it was time to expand their circle of travel and head for warmer ground, choosing the hapless San Francisco as the target.

With little more than their trusty steeds and the beckon call of curvy roads and coastal breezes, the three knew that they would need a getaway/heavy transport driver and so enlisted the help of the relative outsider Tim on his torque monster to haul the hay.

The four could be seen departing on or around September 6th and returning around the 11th or thereabouts and would stick close to the coast, at least for the ride down, staying in hotels, possibly some camping, or maybe even B&B's or ???

They (Squamishvfr, PolarBear, Tim and BCmcrider) would like to announce this ride to prevent the wrath experienced following the last unannounced venture and to allow others, if they feel so compelled, to join the forces of the Canadian explorers in their curve seeking journey. Entertainment events are to be determined en-route and will be up to the individual.

This is not an organized event but others are welcome to join for all or part as they see fit. We look forward to suggestions and input.

BC

Squamishvfr, Polarbear, V-Fore, Tim, and BCmcrider are committed (or should be).

Elevation and Digitallyhip have expressed strong interest.

Well the trip is over and a good time was had by all.

The trip began with V-Fore, Squamishvfr, Polarbear, Chillitim1(Shadow750 but still a Honda) and myself BCmcrider.

We spent 8 days or so with most of them being 12 hour travel days (can you say sore butt) putting on somewhere just over 3500kms. Temperatures while riding ranged wildly during parts of the trip and we often recalled the advice read somewhere on this website to bring all of your clothes and wear them all.

Following are some of my pics taken with my phone. Many more shots to follow from others in the group.

The trip for me started with leaving Victoria on the ferry to Anacortes where I rode about 45 minutes South to meet the rest of the gang at V-Fore's place in Marysville, WA.

DSC01790.jpg

Gary had a little treat for us to get us in good shape for the long days of riding to follow... smelled like Butter-Rhum lifesavers but tasted like distilled lighter fluid only hotter. 80% will do that for you.

DSC01797.jpg

On the road finally and a starting photo with the tanks filled ready to roll. The victims are from left to right, Chillitim1, Polarbear, V-Fore, Squamishvfr and BCmcriders bike.

DSC01801.jpg

Made it to Astoria for a lunch stop and a picture of the mini-Golden Gate in the background. The bridge seems like it is at least two km's long.

Squamishvfr, BCmcrider, V-Fore and Polarbear.

DSC01805.jpg

The end of the first days riding after 11.5 hours or so. We were running into what we deemed the icy death fog which would blow through whatever clothing you had and suck the last morsel of heat from your frosted corpse.

The campsite near Yachats (Yah-Hots) was a welcome reprieve where we enjoyed a campfire and some beverages in the evening, and warm showers (for most) the next AM.

DSC01813.jpg

Little did we know that V-Fore had retained the delightful tiara he received during the Kootenay tour this year and sported it during most camping and hotel stops. Thanks Gary, now all of the Pacific coast thinks were a traveling bunch of spooners.

DSC01816.jpg

Day 2 to follow.

Day 2 started with a sunny disposition and fed us the usual mixed bag of heat a fog. Traffic was moderate and the views were second to none. We regretted having to bypass many scenic vistas but did stop for the occasional ... comfort break.

DSC01818.jpg

Not sure if this is a live action shot but I'm thinking he's just doing his John Wayne impression.

DSC01822.jpg

Lunch break that day consisted of a stop at a grocery deli at Gold Beach, OR, and then a climb up a 40 foot rock overlooking both the ocean/beach and the road on the other side so we could keep an eye on our bikes.

DSC01825.jpg

What the hell people must have though with Gary wearing that tiara is beyond me.

DSC01826.jpg

Chillitim2 enjoying the spoils of the hunt.

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01828.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

The end of the day at Legget with a trip through the Chandelier tree.

DSC01835.jpg

More pics of this to follow thanks to others with better cameras.

That evening after setting up camp in the very roomy forested campsite, we retired to the Peg house for a massive burger and beer. We were entertained by the vast array of stuff for sale in this little store. If you need it, they have it. I couldn't resist purchasing a new hat as my current cap is looking a little haggard.

DSC01841.jpg

Day 3

Here we are mid-day, back at the coast after our brief foray into the redwoods and a very twisty trip through the hills. Unfortunately, Polarbear's lunch from the day before caught up with him in the curves. Not sure what it was he ate but he was sharing a tent with V-Fore. In any case, it didn't agree with him and he was feeling .... not well.

DSC01849.jpg

The next stop was at the Zen house motorcycle repair shop in Point Arena, CA. A very cool little roadside garage with a counter halfway in and a bike being worked on in the shop behind.

DSC01850.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

On the road again with yet another fantastic vista to break up the ebb and flow of the 101.

DSC01856.jpg

Tim's turn.

DSC01858.jpg

Finally the Pièce de résistance, the Fairmont in San Francisco.

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

The bellhop was not amused at the site of the baggage cart loaded with our gear, especially considering the fact that the parkade to elevator trip was a long jaunt up a maze of sloped hallways. If there's one thing Sanfran has, it's hills, even in the hallways apparently.

DSC01863.jpg

Once we got to our room and unpacked, I decided to unroll my tent and found my new hat inside. Not looking quite as nice as when it was new 24 hours ago.

DSC01864.jpg

The hotel was of course, opulent to excess.

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

The lobby.

DSC01903.jpg

DSC01905.jpg

DSC01906.jpg

A bit of a hike around Sanfran that evening revealed some of it's grandeur.

DSC01879.jpg

DSC01880.jpg

We added our own touch of class by consuming the remaining IPA from the night before.

DSC01884.jpg

The view from our room was to the Southeast with a hint of Alcatraz.

DSC01888.jpg

Day 4 to follow.

Day 4

Day 4 was spent around Sanfran with the obligatory ride on the cable cars. This fellow was something straight out of New York with the attitude and character to suit. Interesting to see how the cable cars work with two levers, one for a brake and the other for a gripper onto the cable that runs continuously under the street.

DSC01891.jpg

Not sure why V-Fore decided to forgoe the tiara today.

DSC01892.jpg

Hang your head out too much and it gets taken off by the mirror on the parked moving van that the cable car barely clears.

DSC01893.jpg

Bread bowl of clam chowder for breakfast. You bet.

DSC01897.jpg

Not sure what's being pointed out in the local classifieds but let's just say we're all adults here.

DSC01899.jpg

That afternoon, we loaded up our stuff and headed to a cheaper hotel, the Hilton.

I think Tim has had enough of the $45 dollar steaks for now.

DSC01917.jpg

We needed some route planning advice for the ride home so we consulted the local experts.

DSC01919.jpg

Thus starts the days real proceedings. A light lunch and a couple of dainty beverages at the Wipeout bar and grill.

DSC01924.jpg

By dainty, I mean ... what were they, triples or quads? I still don't remember. Should have stopped at 1 or 2.

DSC01925.jpg

V-Fore introducing himself to the locals.

DSC01929.jpg

We had to cover up after reading the signage.

DSC01934.jpg

For a few more curves, we considered this but it looked a little tooo twisty.

DSC01943.jpg

Amazing what you can find in the local bread factory. This guy was about 5 feet long.

DSC01959.jpg

MMmmmmmmmm, yum.

DSC01963.jpg

Not sure what the heck that is but I wouldn't want to run into it while diving.

DSC01965.jpg

How we pictured ourselves when riding.

DSC01966.jpg

Day 5 to follow.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I would be honored to act as Translator/Tour Guide for your journey out of country :cool:

Looks Like Fun...Eh. See I am fluent in Canadian & Engrish

Its been a little over four years since the last run down South.

Gary

• Member Contributer

I would be honored to act as Translator/Tour Guide for your journey out of country :cool:

Looks Like Fun...Eh. See I am fluent in Canadian & Engrish

Its been a little over four years since the last run down South.

Gary

Welcome aboard Gary, looks like this should be a lot of fun.

BC

• Member Contributer

Gary is coming?!? Man, I'm gonna have to get studded tires for the inevitable off-road portion of our trip now... And a spare underwear for the scare...

C

• Member Contributer

That is an ideal time for a Cali trip. I would love to be a strong maybe for this trip. My only concern is five days is just not enough. 9 days is a good amount of time.

• Member Contributer

That is an ideal time for a Cali trip. I would love to be a strong maybe for this trip. My only concern is five days is just not enough. 9 days is a good amount of time.

The more the merrier I always say, as long as you promise not to emulate the R1 rider on the 2010 Kootenay tour. :blink:

This will give us a few VFR's, a cruiser, and a supersport. I guess the fact that you're still on this forum is proof enough that you still have VFR oil running in your veins somewhere.

Any updates to your conversion experience? How have you found the R1 for touring vs the VFR? :lobby:

You're right that the time is tight but we reserve the right to extend or slab at the end as needed. Technically, it's 6 days, 6th-11th inclusive.

Cheers, BC

• Member Contributer

I am also a strong maybe. I mentioned it last night over dinner and Emily said immediately "you should go!"

I hope she isn't trying to tell me something...

• Member Contributer

I am also a strong maybe. I mentioned it last night over dinner and Emily said immediately "you should go!"

:laughing6-hehe: You think that women are that subtle when they want you to understand something? Usually, in my household anyway, she knows I'm pretty dense and she must spell it out to make sure I got it. Just saying... Anyway, in your case, it wasn't no...

Would be nice if you could make it.

Cheers man!

C

• Member Contributer

:laughing6-hehe: You think that women are that subtle when they want you to understand something? Usually, in my household anyway, she knows I'm pretty dense and she must spell it out to make sure I got it. Just saying... Anyway, in your case, it wasn't no...

Cheers man!

C

Yes, "you should go" is about as much of a confirmation as I would need to make it happen. That's the kind of instructions I like. Sounds like you're in. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Cheers man!

C

Yes, "you should go" is about as much of a confirmation as I would need to make it happen. That's the kind of instructions I like. Sounds like you're in. +1.gif

I was kidding. She is the MOST supportive spouse I have ever heard of. I do two time and money-consuming things without my family: VFR and sailboat racing. There's no counting of brownie points and no harsh stares, just "I hope you have a great time" and then "welcome home!"

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I missed Gary's off-road antics, but I did get to watch the R1 rider. Let's have none of that!

David

• Member Contributer

This Is sounding great so far :beer: I am so glad my Brother moved in so I have someone to take care of the house & pets :bliss: So I can just Go!!! Although I am good on off road excursions on the VFR

I will not be having any antics :blush:

Gary

• Member Contributer

Nice video Gary thanks. But what happened to the guy who went off the road? Didn't have your skills to pull it off and just ride through the ditch, eh?? Just kidding...

C

Glad more are coming. The more the

Merrier. We four were thinking of camping for part of it and hotel for other parts so be aware and come prepared with the correct kit. PASSPORTS!!! the border guards don't accept fake neufie accents and sentences ending in eh?, as proof of citizenship. Anyone meeting the group in assless chaps will be asked to ride at the back of the group. We are not ashamed of you, we just want the bus load of Chinese tourists to get good photographs. Having said that, you will not be permitted to choose the pubs in San Fran, just sayin'... Looking foreword to a southern trek.

Please note this is not intended to be a structured event, just a few guys on a road trip, so no itinerary, designated stops hotels deals, team t-shirts etc. We hope to avail ourselves od hospitality along the

way and get to know more people as we go !

See you in Nelson!

Sq

• Member Contributer

Merrier. We four were thinking of camping for part of it and hotel for other parts so be aware and come prepared with the correct kit. PASSPORTS!!! the border guards don't accept fake neufie accents and sentences ending in eh?, as proof of citizenship. Anyone meeting the group in assless chaps will be asked to ride at the back of the group. We are not ashamed of you, we just want the bus load of Chinese tourists to get good photographs. Having said that, you will not be permitted to choose the pubs in San Fran, just sayin'... Looking foreword to a southern trek.

Please note this is not intended to be a structured event, just a few guys on a road trip, so no itinerary, designated stops hotels deals, team t-shirts etc. We hope to avail ourselves od hospitality along the

See you in Nelson!

Sq

Yep, plus no spooners or axe murderers. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

See you in Nelson!

Sq

Yep, plus no spooners or axe murderers. :laughing6-hehe:

Cool, My Tent is Spooner & Axe Murderer Free :biggrin:

gallery_8073_5120_24158.jpg

IMG_0046.JPG

• Member Contributer

The more the merrier I always say, as long as you promise not to emulate the R1 rider on the 2010 Kootenay tour. :blink:

This will give us a few VFR's, a cruiser, and a supersport. I guess the fact that you're still on this forum is proof enough that you still have VFR oil running in your veins somewhere.

Any updates to your conversion experience? How have you found the R1 for touring vs the VFR? :lobby:

You're right that the time is tight but we reserve the right to extend or slab at the end as needed. Technically, it's 6 days, 6th-11th inclusive.

Cheers, BC

I don't know anything about said R1 Rider in the Kootenays and sounds like I don't want too! I am long distance tourer at heart and have done California twice. All the tales of my rides are on my website at www.ridefar.ca

I am trying to get something going to California for the exact time you are going so at the very least we should be able to start the trip together.

The R1 as a tourer is a bit of a challenge but it is by far the most fun I have had on a motorcycle ever. The handling and the cross plane crank engine is incredible. I hope they put the cross plane crank in the FZ1 at some point.

let's keep in touch.

• Member Contributer

Cheers, BC

I don't know anything about said R1 Rider in the Kootenays and sounds like I don't want too! I am long distance tourer at heart and have done California twice. All the tales of my rides are on my website at www.ridefar.ca

I am trying to get something going to California for the exact time you are going so at the very least we should be able to start the trip together.

The R1 as a tourer is a bit of a challenge but it is by far the most fun I have had on a motorcycle ever. The handling and the cross plane crank engine is incredible. I hope they put the cross plane crank in the FZ1 at some point.

let's keep in touch.

Well, I'm not going to get into resurrecting the R1 :squid:....

Had a look at your ridefar website and it looks like you've been having lots of fun touring around seeing different parts of the continent. Next time you're on the island, give me a call and we'll go for a ride.

It's getting hard to concentrate on work with the rides coming up. :comp13:

Cheers, BC

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just an update for the sake of those interested in joining us on our venture.

Our current plan is to leave from Northern Washington starting on September 6th. Looks like we're probably going to camp the first night and camp or motel the 2nd. Past that, is not planned other than we predict arriving in San Fran probably mid-day on the 8th and will hang around there or do some short range ventures and sightseeing for the rest of the 8th and the 9th. The return run is going to terminate with most folks arriving home around the evening of the 12th.

As was stated earlier, this is not an organized VFRD tour so if you want to join us, feel free but you'll need to arrange accommodation etc. We'll arrange a meeting point on the morning of the 6th, probably around North Marysville, Wa.

Time is ticking, bike is yearning, and hopefully the weather is willing.

:cheerleader:

BC

• Member Contributer

Just finished a four day 2657kms/1650mile trip. The R1 is not too comfy. Thought it would be better than for the all day rides. However it is the best damn bike I have had on a road trip! arg!

Just finished a four day 2657kms/1650mile trip. The R1 is not too comfy. Thought it would be better than for the all day rides. However it is the best damn bike I have had on a road trip! arg!

Helibars, sargent seat, peg lowering mod, taller windscreen, etc. You know the drill.

Heck, do the superbike bar conversion.

• Member Contributer

Helibars, sargent seat, peg lowering mod, taller windscreen, etc. You know the drill.

Heck, do the superbike bar conversion.

or get a VFR?? laughing6-hehe.gif (I know you had one, I'm just teasing)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I finally made it to the forum. Anything new I need to know?

Yes, the trip had been cancelled!!!! Just kidding. Welcome and I look forward to meeting you.

Cheers!

C

Archived