just did DID 520 chain conversion with 17/43

Guest Kip2

Recently got back into motor bikes, and am new to the forums. Have spent some time getting info here, and now posting this experience. I think my VFR 800 is a keeper, so I'm trying to figure out ways to make it better for me. Much thanks to forums........

Despite popular trends, I just installed a DID 520 ZVM2 chain conversion set with a one tooth increase in front (17/43). The original chain was trash. I had suspicions that there was some sort of sympathetic harmonic motor cadence/drive chain oscillations at cruise speeds. These types of oscillations occur in specific frequency ranges that are directly related to the mass of the object vibrating (the 520 chain is about 2lb lighter I think). I know this sounds like I may be "taklin out my a$$", and I'm not really sure of the theory- but it's definitely smoother. As for the taller gearing: I bought this bike because I wanted a bike with a wide and usable, torque-ey power band. It didn't have as much of that that I thought it would, but it's still pretty good, and the PCV will definitely help. I'm sick of "peaky" power bands. Going up one tooth in the front had side effect of effectively spreading the gear ratios. For my uses, this bike's stock gearbox/drive chain rations were a little low and close. I'M NOT DRAG RACING THIS BIKE, and this mod has made the bike considerably more fun to ride. 1st gear is a little tall, but the clutch/engine has no problem with it. On highway, I'm switching between 5th and 6th, depending ob how far over the speed limit I'm going. Kip.......................

• Member Contributer

Glad you like your mods.

On a side note, the fact that your original chain was crap is the cause of "sympathetic harmonic motor cadence/drive chain oscillations" that you've experienced. Not its mass.

You did save some poundage and the taller gearing will help extend service life of the 520 chain.

Enjoy.

• Member Contributer

The taller gearing will help extend service life of the 520 chain.

Enjoy.

Definitely. As will the fact that you aren't drag racing it, no power wheelies, etc. A 520 won't make your bike explode into a fiery fire ball of fire as soon as you turn the key over. It just won't last as long.

Isn't the stock gearing on 5th gens 17/43? Nothing wrong with lowering a few RPM's at cruise, either.

• Forum CEO

520 chains can handle 100 hp motorcycles, so they use them in race machines to save a bit of unsprung wieght but then replace them after a few races as a highly consumable item. Street uses I dont know about perhaps your pocket book can handle it and you have the time to replace chains as often as tires? At least go with a DID over an RK I never had much luck with RK chains they just dont last as long for me.

520 chains can handle 100 hp motorcycles, so they use them in race machines to save a bit of unsprung wieght but then replace them after a few races as a highly consumable item. Street uses I dont know about perhaps your pocket book can handle it and you have the time to replace chains as often as tires? At least go with a DID over an RK I never had much luck with RK chains they just dont last as long for me.

"replace chains as often as tires".... after looking on the tire forums, it's amazing how much variation there is in tire mileage claims. Claims for PR2's range widely. I took the old chain off at 14k- I think it should have been replaced earlier. Pretty sure it was the original RK. I went to the 520 as an experiment to see if it would effect drive train vibrations. I hope that it lasts longer than the original 530. It might be a better quality chain (DID ZVM2). Also, I'm pretty easy on equipment. I don't really have any idea how well it will hold up (nor do I make any claim to know)- I guess that's one of the reasons I did the conversion- to find out..

Happy riding...................

Stock gearing on all 800s is indeed 17/43, if yours had a 16t front then someone has put a 4th Gen front sprocket on it at some stage.

Given equal riding style/conditions, a 520 can't last as long as a 530 - it might do 2/3 of what a 530 will do - but it will certainly make the bike feel a lot more lively.

Murray, the VTECs used a 16 tooth sprocket, PN 23801-MCW-D00

The geardrive 800s used a 17 tooth sprocket, PN 23801-MAT-000 (shared with the CBR1100xx)

My 2 cents is this: I usually get the heaviest duty 530 chain money can buy in hopes that I'll get longer life.

If it weighs 300 grams more, so be it.