hellllllllp disaster has struck!exhaust stud snapped

Guest stevekingchef

• Member Contributer

well have been soaking in wd40 since yesterday.

what exactly is PB Blast is it a brand of lube spray type thing?

WD40 isn't going to help you much, it is not designed to be a lubricant.

Search your locale for penetrating oil, that's the stuff you want.

WD stands for "Water Displacer," IIRC. From my experience and what I have read from people who know a lot more than I do, it is a terrible lubricant.

• Member Contributer

I don't think there are ANY left-hand threads on any VFR. I certainly can't think of any (though I have never fully stripped any VFR engines)...

The only one I know of is on the center stand.

Which VFR and where, exactly, is it? This I have to see... :blush:

Ciao,

I don't think there are ANY left-hand threads on any VFR. I certainly can't think of any (though I have never fully stripped any VFR engines)...

Ciao,

At least 6th gen. I think 5th gen too. I know it has been brought up here before and I had to drill one out for House when he snapped his off. It's been a while though so I can't remember exactly where it was. Maybe into a bracket for the center stand that mounts to the frame or engine case?? I remember he was getting the swingarm and a bracket powdercoated, so it had to be in one of those pieces.

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

At least 6th gen. I think 5th gen too. I know it has been brought up here before and I had to drill one out for House when he snapped his off. It's been a while though so I can't remember exactly where it was. Maybe into a bracket for the center stand that mounts to the frame or engine case?? I remember he was getting the swingarm and a bracket powdercoated, so it had to be in one of those pieces.

I can confirm this. I also snapped mine. IIRC, it is the right side bolt where the center stand hinges from.

• Member Contributer

Get outta the box man!!

Tell your S. O. it's going to take dynamite to fix the bolt. Blow it up, tell her it didn't work out like it should have then go get a new bike !! With a little more creativity, your insurance will pay for it...... :biggrin:

Skill, knowledge, and experience don't always yield the best solutions. Pragmatism mixed with imagination never fails.... :cool:

• Member Contributer

I believe you!

But it's not on the 5th-gen--I had the stand off in order to fit the Erion system on my Y2k last month.

On the 6th-gen, that bolt is unusual, in that it has an "MCW" part number. Most bolts are "common parts" and do not have model-specific part numbers (MCW is the product code for the RC46-II, aka VTEC). The Ron Ayers microfiche doesn't contain anything in the description, but the CMS one calls it "BOLT, FLANGE L 10X", which seems to identify this as a left-handed thread bolt.

Ciao,

Archived