5th Gen, Finally Finished... or is it?

Guest FirstTime

Guest FirstTime

I bought this 5th gen a month or so ago, didn't have a license or anything at the time. Ripper drove with me to Ohio to pick it up and since I haven't been able to drive it I've spent my time fine tuning each of the little things I at first wasnt sure about. First thing I did was Install a high mount Staintune and I was very happy with that. The exhaust has a small dent right behind the passenger rear set that really can not be seen once installed (cost $75) what a steal. Then came the rims, I or should i say Ripper had my rims powder coated red just to give it more of a custom look. (cost $0) thanks Ripper. Once the rims were powder coated we replaced the front tire with a Pilot II to match the rear. All in all I am more than happy with my 5th gen as of now. I would like to thank Ripper for making it possible and for the major helping hand he offered. *Ripper Pictured below driving it home from Ohio (on a 38 degree day)*

280ea1a5-orig.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think I did a wonderful job modding someone else's bike! :pinocchio:

Looks great Rob!

• Member Contributer

looks great.

almost there. When do you shoot the flat black over that red primer?

that's funny, we were discussing how nice the flat black with red rims would look just today at work :fing02:

looks great.

almost there. When do you shoot the flat black over that red primer?

Thank you and great idea on your part, and that would be one of those or is it done moments.....

I take it that the RWB belongs to Ripper. I'm normally not a fan of white wheels, but that eight spoker looks great on the 6th gen. Another example of the good folk on this forum helping each other.

I take it that the RWB belongs to Ripper. I'm normally not a fan of white wheels, but that eight spoker looks great on the 6th gen. Another example of the good folk on this forum helping each other.

Ripper is a really good person, great friend!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just bought an asphalt '04 last night.

I decided that the new bike means that I should sell my 1993 with white 8 spoker. These pics make me think that I should swap wheels and powder coat them to match the bikes they are on.

I'm really going to miss the 8-spoker look if I sell it. And, with the Gen 6 undertail exhaust, it would really show the wheel off to best advantage. Is it sacrilege to change an original white 8-spoker over to black or charcoal?

• Member Contributer

I decided that the new bike means that I should sell my 1993 with white 8 spoker. These pics make me think that I should swap wheels and powder coat them to match the bikes they are on.

I'm really going to miss the 8-spoker look if I sell it. And, with the Gen 6 undertail exhaust, it would really show the wheel off to best advantage. Is it sacrilege to change an original white 8-spoker over to black or charcoal?

You must definitely sell it.

To me.

For cheap.

APAP.

You must...

Can't resist...

Hypnotized.jpg

flat black (charcoal) makes everything better!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure hope Ripper is not trying to steel the thunder here :biggrin: ! I think his white wheels look awesome, just wondering about cleaning. As for your bike, I agree matt black would look awesome with those red wheels, maybe some matching red graphics on fairings, tinted dbl bubble windscreen and clear lenses for turn signals (I know they are out there, looked for them for the longest time but cannot find anybody who sells them). One thing you must change is the mirrors, just buy ones from year 2000 and up, they came in black w/o the ugly rubber boot.

Good luck!

IMG_2156.jpg

• Member Contributer

Your "new" VFR looks great. Sure you could go black and leave the rims red but it looks fine the way it is. I say put some miles on it first. That way if you drop it you can use that as your excuse for a new paint job. In the mean time enjoy it. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

flat black (charcoal) makes everything better!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely swap the rims before selling. And as long as the color fits the bike you are good to go with the Karma police. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great looking 5th gen. Second one I've seen with the red wheels and I'm pretty much set I'm going to do that myself soon enough, after 10 years with black wheels it needs the change. Enjoy the ride!

Your "new" VFR looks great. Sure you could go black and leave the rims red but it looks fine the way it is. I say put some miles on it first. That way if you drop it you can use that as your excuse for a new paint job. In the mean time enjoy it. :fing02:

I like that answer

OR........... You could swap out the wheels keep the 8's then sell it.?

• Member Contributer

OR........... You could swap out the wheels keep the 8's then sell it.?

Yeah, that's what I am leaning toward. Though, the Gen 6 isn't a direct port over to the Gen 3. Need to change some bolts and do some wheel Dremeling.

I ran the 8-spoker on my '04 last week, and it definitely shows off better. The white rear on an all black bike looked a bit weird, though.

Archived