Fitting a TomTom

Guest Patto

Guest Patto

We just removed one of the TomTom units from a company vehicle to make way for an in-dash unit.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to fit a GPS unit to my bike, I've looked at the options used on this forum and I'm quiet impressed with what members have come up with.

Just for convenience I've decided to go with using the stem as my mounting point, I couldn't find any ram options locally.

This is where the fun starts, any advice or experience with mounting in the stem would be much appreciated.

I'm going to use stainless bar for my material.

• Member Contributer

I have a 2002 VFR and bought the RAM stem mount for a TomTom One. Be aware that the RAM mount fits rather loosely into the stem. Even cranked down tight, the mount will spin left or right with very little effort. I've been on several long rides with the GPS mounted and even though it is not as tight as I'd like, it has not moved out of place during the trip. The tapered rubber grommet that fits down into the stem really needs to be a bit larger for a tighter fit.

• Member Contributer

FWIW if is an automotive TomTom and not a Rider version, it will not like water............

but then again, if it was free......... :biggrin:

I have a 2002 VFR and bought the RAM stem mount for a TomTom One. Be aware that the RAM mount fits rather loosely into the stem. Even cranked down tight, the mount will spin left or right with very little effort. I've been on several long rides with the GPS mounted and even though it is not as tight as I'd like, it has not moved out of place during the trip. The tapered rubber grommet that fits down into the stem really needs to be a bit larger for a tighter fit.

Thanks for the advice on the rubber grommet, I've finished the stem mount with two 1/4 threaded holes for the GPS to be fixed to.

Next is the rubber grommet, this will be made as a neat fit which will hopefully expand to give me a tight fixture.

The TomTom is not waterproof, is there an easy way of sealing the unit? Maybe a bag, I don't need audio so I could seal the unit with some sort of compound leaving the screen and power button exposed.

post-22219-0-52989400-1302042126_thumb.j

Put the smallest Zip-lock bag you can find over it and still be able to close most of it.

This is my set up for a TT rider 2.

gallery_16535_4484_2347420.jpg

DSC00062.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1247822.jpg

DSC00066.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_2454868.jpg

DSC00059.JPG

• Member Contributer

Put the smallest Zip-lock bag you can find over it and still be able to close most of it.

Monk,

could you tell me the model name of your ram-mount please? I can't find the one like yours mountable on the fuel tank front fixation bolts.

Thanks! :cool:

I can't find the one like yours mountable on the fuel tank front fixation bolts.

there is no gas tank mount, Just use the brake perch attachment. It has the right spacing.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the info. I've been looking at this myself. where's the best place to buy the mounts here in the States?

GPSCity, Amazon, etc (google is your friend)

Tightwad's site has good prices on powerlet parts as well (not affiliated)

Monk,

could you tell me the model name of your ram-mount please? I can't find the one like yours mountable on the fuel tank front fixation bolts.

Like Timmy said, this'll work. You'll need to go to a hardware store and buy some 1/4" longer bolts...........I don't know the spec's on the bolt, take one with you and use their test board to find the hole that works.( I know Lowes has a board).

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-zinc-u-bolt-motorcycle-mount-base-ram-b-231zu.html

• Member Contributer

Thanks Monk! I think this is the best option how to fix this bracket on our Hondas. It doesn't restrict your movements and it's very easy to remove if necessary :fing02:

Progress has been slow.

Finished setting the rubber to size and have now locked the mount in place.

Hopefully will get time tonight to run the power, is there any path to follow or just attach to the main loom.

post-22219-0-02374500-1302151011_thumb.j

post-22219-0-72349500-1302151025_thumb.j

Nice looking mounting plate you made..... I didn't wire my own due to my not knowing what to do.... But to have a relay hook up. I heard that the low beam headlight is a good place to wire it to........... Hopefully someone wil come along and agree or tell you a better place...........

Thank you Monk.

Well the unit is fitted, but here is the problem.

The unit is 5V so I have to use the cable that came with it, so the power is reduced from 12 to 5V.

I'm going to install a socket under the seat with an isolator switch that can be activated behind the rear cowl.

This way I can turn the power off or on to the TomTom power lead, and the switch will be hidden.

I'm worried that the charge light on the car charge cable might drain the battery over time.

Maybe someone has hard wired them and the drain is minimal, I don't know.

post-22219-0-14264800-1302175818_thumb.j

Archived