Can fork oil degrade by age

Guest Oubaa

Guest Oubaa

I just read the topic '30 min. fork oil change' with great interest.

I'd like to do it myself, but I'm still apprehensive.

But I'm wondering, My bike is 12 year old, but only 8000km.

Could the oil have degraded only through aging (moist, fungus,...).

What's the risk if I don't change it now.

The longer you wait, the harder it will be to clean everything. Fork oil doesn't "go bad" as much as it gets contaminated with metal particles, teflon particles, and moisture. In your case I would take them apart and clean them properly, as it sounds like that may not have been done to date.

I can't say I'm a fan of that "30 min" change, I would only use that method if I knew the forks were recently cleaned and I merely wanted to change the oil.

• Member Contributer

Yeah I agree Sedspeed. The only thing I can add is I have notice a big difference when the oil temp is in 50's or lower. The front slider works much better as the oil warms up the sliders get softer and softer, with new fork oil I think this is not as noticeable !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I agree Sedspeed. The only thing I can add is I have notice a big difference when the oil temp is in 50's or lower. The front slider works much better as the oil warms up the sliders get softer and softer, with new fork oil I think this is not as noticeable !!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be the viscosity of the oil coming into play! Ever try pouring molasses in the winter? :biggrin:

It's probably best to clean them, but I don't feel comfortable doing that myself.

And I just wonder how seriously the dealer would do it.

Everytime I go with such question to a dealer, they look at me like I come from another planet, or just throw me that 'don't be ridiculous' look.

I'd be looking at a few hours work + oil cost...

• Member Contributer

It's probably best to clean them, but I don't feel comfortable doing that myself.

And I just wonder how seriously the dealer would do it.

Everytime I go with such question to a dealer, they look at me like I come from another planet, or just throw me that 'don't be ridiculous' look.

I'd be looking at a few hours work + oil cost...

Plus seals, bushings, crush washers.

Honestly, it isn't hard at all. I've done it! And I'm not the most competent wrench. Set aside a couple of hours for 3 days, take your time and dig in.

The service manuals are on VFRd, and we're here to help. The hardest part is removing the bottom bolt.

• Member Contributer

The best thing you can do, is find someone local who has done it. Offer them beer or lunch, or both, in exchange for helping you learn how to do it.

+1....and be warned. Old fork oil stinks something fierce. Make sure there is plenty of moving air where you do it.

Intresting blog...!!

I've read the manual on how to remove the forks and take them apart.

Apart from some terminology, it looks 'possible', WITH all the right tools, and patience :-)

But I'm not in a 'mechanic zone' at the moment. weather's too nice, I'd rather ride. I would rush it.

Everything looks and works fine, maybe I should do it after my big summer trip.

I just read the topic '30 min. fork oil change' with great interest.

I'd like to do it myself, but I'm still apprehensive.

But I'm wondering, My bike is 12 year old, but only 8000km.

Could the oil have degraded only through aging (moist, fungus,...).

What's the risk if I don't change it now.

If you don't want to spend the time and are not sure of your finished results, I'd take it to the dealer now, do not pass GO........... Here it cost $150 for the forks to be removed taken apart cleaned up etc.. .....While you there get the clutch/brake fluids and radiator flushed........... 12 years is too long..... JMHO

Intresting blog...!!

I've read the manual on how to remove the forks and take them apart.

Apart from some terminology, it looks 'possible', WITH all the right tools, and patience :-)

But I'm not in a 'mechanic zone' at the moment. weather's too nice, I'd rather ride. I would rush it.

Everything looks and works fine, maybe I should do it after my big summer trip.

Do it now and enjoy the fruits of your labor! You have the best resource in the world right here to help you! :fing02:

If you don't want to spend the time and are not sure of your finished results, I'd take it to the dealer now, do not pass GO........... Here it cost $150 for the forks to be removed taken apart cleaned up etc.. .....While you there get the clutch/brake fluids and radiator flushed........... 12 years is too long..... JMHO

Yeah, but...I don't trust the dealers. I've never seen one using a torque wrench :pissed:

Clutch fluid is necessary, it looks brown.

Brake fluid actually still looks transparent, so I'd rather not touch that. :blush:

Flushing radiator..hmmm, sounds drastic as well for a perfectly running bike. :unsure:

I'll try doing the R/R computer fan mod.

What about engine oil?

The filter and oil was changed in april 2006 and the bike has not ridden 1000km after that until I bought it last week. Sitting in a car dealers showroom because it looked so good. :fing02::-)

And I myself did 800 troublefree km on it since last week :tour:

Sounds like someone needs to read their owner's manual. :huh:

I just downloaded it :happy: and yeah, A lot needs to be done :blush: (according to the 'whichever comes first' rule).

OK, give me some time to get the courage up :blink:

So I changed clutch fluid, oil and oil filter.. with limited success (as shown in my 'quick question' thread in the maintenance forum).

Now, I just want to ride... sun is shining :biggrin:

Archived