undertail cover

Guest vfrdoc

I started this under the 6gen (Kerker) seeing how this is a mod I thought I would move it here. Going to attempt making a new undertail cover, ( I took the pipes out and put the new Kerker pipe on the side) I want to fill the void created. Will post pics of the progress and how I made the new cover if it all works out :biggrin:

Wish me luck :cheerleader: I never done this kind of thing before........really! :laughing6-hehe:

I started this under the 6gen (Kerker) seeing how this is a mod I thought I would move it here. Going to attempt making a new undertail cover, ( I took the pipes out and put the new Kerker pipe on the side) I want to fill the void created. Will post pics of the progress and how I made the new cover if it all works out :biggrin:

Wish me luck :cheerleader: I never done this kind of thing before........really! :laughing6-hehe:

I was thinking, if this doesn't work out, is there an aftermarket kit? If so who makes it?

• Member Contributer

What do you plan to make it out of? Fiberglass? Carbon Fiber? Aluminum sheet? Paper towels?

Looking forward to see what you come up with :fing02:

:laughing6-hehe: Very funny but I guess I desirved it :biggrin:

Making the frame out of balsa wood.......going back to my model building days....with metal inserts for the mounting areas then fiberglass. Paper towels huh? I wonder if it would work??? :pinocchio:

I looked on-line but I quess you are not suppose to take the exhaust off. I can't find anything like I want. I did get the picture of the respol bike overseas, I just don't know where he got it! :pissed:

I will be taking pics of the project but if it looks like ...... in the end then the pictures will be deleted from the camera and I will keep searching. :laughing6-hehe: I don't take defeat very well when I am doing a project. :biggrin:

:laughing6-hehe: Very funny but I guess I desirved it :biggrin:

Making the frame out of balsa wood.......going back to my model building days....with metal inserts for the mounting areas then fiberglass. Paper towels huh? I wonder if it would work??? :pinocchio:

I looked on-line but I quess you are not suppose to take the exhaust off. I can't find anything like I want. I did get the picture of the respol bike overseas, I just don't know where he got it! :pissed:

I will be taking pics of the project but if it looks like ...... in the end then the pictures will be deleted from the camera and I will keep searching. :laughing6-hehe: I don't take defeat very well when I am doing a project. :biggrin:

If it helps v4 rosso knows the guy and might b able to let u know if he bought it or made it. Ive already asked a few questions but to no avail. Apparently the bike now has a new owner so. Who knows where it is.

Thanks for trying, I looked as well couldn't find anything out. I have a BMW build coming up so if I find out I am not to sucky on designing and building with fiberglass, papertowels, etc. then I will be more confident going into the build. :happy:

Thanks again,

Doc

If it helps v4 rosso knows the guy and might b able to let u know if he bought it or made it. Ive already asked a few questions but to no avail.

? As I told you in the PM it was a custom job. He made the undertail himself.

If it helps v4 rosso knows the guy and might b able to let u know if he bought it or made it. Ive already asked a few questions but to no avail.

? As I told you in the PM it was a custom job. He made the undertail himself.

Sry boss drinking and posting obviously doesnt mix. Sry for any unwanted attention.

A friend made an undertail of diamond plate, aluminum I think it was.

Came out looking good, but i's a Suzuki Bandit so not directly applicable.

Good luck. :biggrin:

I hope mine comes out half as good, that was a great looking Repsol bike :biggrin:

D-plate? Do you have pics? Just wondering how that would look??

Wife has me busy the last few days, hope to get back on it today! Dang "honey do" list :pissed:

Just an update.......all I got time for :laughing6-hehe:

I have the fiberglass almost done, just need to do the "pretty" work now. Only problem .......... life. :mellow: Why is it when you get half way through a project SOMETHING always happens and you have to put it on the back shelf until the SOMETHING is done? :blush:

• Member Contributer

I have the fiberglass almost done, just need to do the "pretty" work now. Only problem .......... life. :mellow: Why is it when you get half way through a project SOMETHING always happens and you have to put it on the back shelf until the SOMETHING is done? :blush:

On the bright side.....

At least you have a back shelf to put the thing on.... :laughing6-hehe:

and....... :worthlesswithoutpics: even the rough ones!

On the bright side.....

At least you have a back shelf to put the thing on.... :laughing6-hehe

and....... :worthlesswithoutpics: even the rough ones!

OK Dutchy, you wanted pics so here they are.

Make the curve parts by soaking the wood (balsa) in water overnight then wrap the wood around a dow or something that has about the same size curve you want and let dry overnight. Just remember the dow you use make it about 20% smaller than the final curve. The wood will tend to try and straighten out once you take it off the dow.

post-21763-0-46604500-1298362139_thumb.j

The next pics are the rough flat and some of the curve pieces. I used gel super glue to bond the planks and curve pieces on, make sure to put a papertowel down some of the glue might drip to the workbench and glue your project to the bench :pissed: With the papertowel you just have to sand off.

post-21763-0-31312000-1298362626_thumb.j

post-21763-0-45448200-1298383583_thumb.j

The next part is a little tricky, and was done using the "shapper" it is the blue strip looking thing in the middle. Not sure what it is really called but I got it at Micheals arts and crafts store. The thing is really cool, it bends to the shape you need so you can match it to your project. Takes out a lot of the guess work. :fing02:

post-21763-0-92214000-1298384521_thumb.j

The fiberglass part on the back was made using the "shapper" this is the part that goes under the tail light. I did this by applying resin to each corner and letting it dry, then applied a thin layer of resin to the rest of the fiberglass and as it is drying matched the curve of the tail light using the shapper. Careful not to touch the tool to the resin, just get it close enough to make sure you got the right bend. It doesn't have to be perfect just close.

post-21763-0-63288000-1298361854_thumb.j

This is were I am right now, what I call pretty work is the filling and sanding to get the finished part before paint. What you are looking at is really just the "skeleton" :biggrin:

Maybe in the next couple of weeks I can get back to it and finish it :blush:

This guy has better kitchen cabinets in his garage than I do in my house. As it should be.

Nice shop man...

:laughing6-hehe: thanks, I got them from a bank. They remodeled the bank and I got them for free. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

Archived