3 pcs GIVI hard bag luggage system w/ rack for $600

vfr661

• Member Contributer

Is $600 for a used 3 piece system a good deal? It's 5 hours away from me so I'll have to ride up to pick it up.

gallery_16870_5743_183292.jpg

3 pcs givi hard bags

I also found a used Coocase model S48 Astra for around $220 but it doesn't come with the rack.

gallery_16870_5743_107232.jpg

Which one do you think would be a better buy?

• Member Contributer

I'd say that's a pretty good price if in good shape and you're looking for that much storage. Same setup I used on a recent month long trip and I was very pleased with it.

• Member Contributer

Make sure the seller has all the "special" Givi fastners. I bought a used fitment kit and it did not have the 10 mm spacer or the "do dad" nuts for attacheing the lower mount to the lower footpeg bracket. I happened to have a couple of spacers in my "junk" drawer, who knows what bike they came off of or even what they used to go to...anyhow the spacers worked fine but then I had to order rear footpeg bolts from Fastenal.

Just download the fitment kit instructions and you will see the spacers for the upper bracket mount and the bolts/nuts for the lower footpeg mount.

FYI, I don't believe GIVI is selling that style kit any longer but I may be confusing the 5th gen fitment kit with the 4th gen. BTW, I have my 4th and 5th gen set up with the GIVI setup and it is plenty of luggage to easily travel cross country with camping gear.

The cases looked pretty good but check the gaskets as well as the internal strings for wear/damage. Also, check to make sure all the rubber bumper pads are still in place and look for wear on the upper base plate locking mechinism...this should show some wear if the top case sees lots of use. Parts are still available for those bags so you don't have to worry if you need to install a new gasket or if you want to re-key all the bags for the same key.

• Member Contributer

Forgot to add...GIVI are rock solid. Rarely ever leak, has to be a heavy down pour with the bike on the side stand to let even the smallest amount of water in...just make sure the gaskets are in good shape. Durability is second to none. Somehow my KLR decided, all on it's own, to flip it self over. Busted the mounting plate in half and the hardbag suffered some rash, I call it character, but no other damage. Still using the bag everyday.

• Member Contributer

I really appreciate all the responses. I spoke to him and he does not have the special Givi fasteners. He used some standard washers for the upper bracket mount and use the same bolts/nuts for the lower footpeg mount that came with the bike. Can I use the standard bolts/nuts currently on the footpeg to attach to the lower mount? How much are the special bolts/nuts for the lower footpeg mount if I need to get it?

• Member Contributer

So you're riding 5 hours, attaching the cases, then riding back? If the install takes a few hours, I wouldn't want to try this in one day...

• Member Contributer

So you're riding 5 hours, attaching the cases, then riding back? If the install takes a few hours, I wouldn't want to try this in one day...

That's the plan. However, I am in no hurry to get back so it'll definitely be a multi-day trip. He's located in Monterrey Ca and I am riding up from LA so I can always take the long way home the next day riding Pacific Coast Hwy 1.

I really appreciate all the responses. I spoke to him and he does not have the special Givi fasteners. He used some standard washers for the upper bracket mount and use the same bolts/nuts for the lower footpeg mount that came with the bike. Can I use the standard bolts/nuts currently on the footpeg to attach to the lower mount? How much are the special bolts/nuts for the lower footpeg mount if I need to get it?

The pic shows the pillion peg bolt and bits to secure the front end of the forward-going stay, on a 4th Gen 750 (ruler is metric mm & cm). The 5th is the same. There is a big-headed nut with a narrowed extension on the bottom, which goes into the hole at the end of the stay to locate it, then a washer to go under and a nylok nut to secure, all on a longer 6mm bolt with a mushroom head. I used a standard head Allen bolt so the socket was a more common 5mm, not the 4mm of a mushroom.

I strongly suggest you get hold of a set of installation instructions off the web and see the definitions it shows of the items in the fitting kit. Either source a kit of nuts, bolts an spacers from a Givi supplier (if you can) or replace them yourself individually, before going to collect. Spacers are available on the web - I imported some cheaply from your west coast after translating the metric measurements into inches.

Tip:- check the keys. The old-fashiond ones with a small asymmetric red head can drop off your keyring, because the ring hole is only thru' the plastic, not the metal shaft, and the plastic goes brittle with the twisting of using the key. I redrilled mine thru' the centre-line of the shaft and countersunk the sides.

post-4110-0-76871900-1296346945_thumb.jp

post-4110-0-48337800-1296347078_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

Steve,

Thanks for the picture and a thorough description of the nuts/bolts required to attached to the pillion. This info is invaluable. Without it I probably won't be able to install and ride with the luggage system back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Instead of riding up I drove up to pick up the givi luggage system last weekend. I was not convince the seller has all the nuts and bolts to install the wingrack. All three cases are the same size and I think it's probably a 50 litre size. The side cases look a bit large but so long trips this will work better. Overall I am very happy with the givi cases and wingrack setup. Here are some of the pixs of the final installation on my 98 vfr.

gallery_16870_5782_416517.jpg

gallery_16870_5782_2092433.jpg

• Member Contributer

Is that a highmount exhaust installed WITH the 3 bag system? :fing02:

Yes. It's a Two Brothers carbon high mount.

• Member Contributer

tou will love the space.

I think I have ridden my 5th gen once without any bags attached.

I think that Timmy forgot the "h" in there: :computer-noworky:

"thou will love the space."

Sound much better, doesn't it? :goofy:

c

PS vfr661, that's a great set up you got there! You will enjoy it when you go touring and the best thing is that those big trunks double as beer coolers if you just add some ice in there for warm summer nights.

Archived