D'oh... battery is dead.

5thGenJim

• Member Contributer

With the bright shiny orb in the sky and in consideration that I was already late for work this morning, I decided that today was a good day to ride. I hadn't been on the bike in weeks and was missing the solitude. Unfortunately, when I went to turn her on... I got nothing (happens more times than I care to count in other contexts - but I digest).

Here's what I think happened - I left the Garmin Nuvi powercord pulled in to the outlet, thinking it was like my old Garmin GPS V powercord, only drawing power when the GPS was "on." And, since I pulled the Nuvi off the bike (leaving the cord still plugged in) to use the GPS in the car, I didn't give it a second thought.

So, it dawns on me this morning, that the powercord also has an FM tuner/antenna connected to it. My guess is that the FM paraphernalia slowly bled the battery to death over the last few weeks.

I dropped the BT on the bike this morning and hopefully, she'll be in shape to run tomorrow.

Moral of the story: Unplug all your crap from the bike and attach the BT when the bike will likely sit for more than a few days.

• Member Contributer

That's what push start is for, ya wimp :idea3:

May also help in other contexts :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Sounds like Jimmy needs a fuse box that is powered off of a relay.... Burns, can you show him the way? Maybe you can do grip heaters at the same time...

• Member Contributer

AND he lives on a really big hill.. go figure.

the REAL moral of the story is to ride the damn thing more. :biggrin:

I kinda worried about it NOT starting at the bottom of the hill. When I said "I got nothing" I really mean, absolutely no light, no injectors, NOTHING. And, I'm not up for pushing it back up the hill again. So, let's say I do roll down Hemlock Dr (great hill for this sort of thing btw), drop it in second gear and let the clutch out? Or do I just go with first gear... I thought I read somewhere that for this, second gear is the way to go.

AND, YES, I know I should ride th bike more (at least until I pull her apart to haul up to Sebs for paint this winter).

• Member Contributer

Sounds like Jimmy needs a fuse box that is powered off of a relay.... Burns, can you show him the way? Maybe you can do grip heaters at the same time...

This sounds like a good idea to me... The bike had heated grips at one point - a PO spliced into the harness up front. But all that was ripped out somewhere along the lines. There's still a switch on right side for it too (though, why put the switch on the RIGHT, I'm not sure).

• Member Contributer

This sounds like a good idea to me... The bike had heated grips at one point - a PO spliced into the harness up front. But all that was ripped out somewhere along the lines. There's still a switch on right side for it too (though, why put the switch on the RIGHT, I'm not sure).

I'm sure the 'grips' and dirt roads comments were little zings on me :blush: ... but sure... easy enough to wire those up also, if you want to do a proper fuse block at some point.

• Member Contributer

So when is Mad Elf coming out?

according to my "supplier", within next couple weeks. I supposedly have 2 cases w/ my name on them. :beer:

• Member Contributer

according to my "supplier", within next couple weeks. I supposedly have 2 cases w/ my name on them. :beer:

Care to make that three? Might need an extra case. I hear these electrical thingamabob's take a while to get working on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Care to make that three? Might need an extra case. I hear these electrical thingamabob's take a while to get working on the bike.

If we went through a case of that working on electronics... uh.. bad things would happen... but if need be, I have connections.

• Member Contributer

Yosh - the Elf is really good, but don't count on getting through a whole case of the stuff unless you have about 5 friends.

Push-started the bike yesterday and went on a ride for a few hours. NIce to get out.

• Member Contributer

Yosh - the Elf is really good, but don't count on getting through a whole case of the stuff unless you have about 5 friends.

Push-started the bike yesterday and went on a ride for a few hours. NIce to get out.

And who makes said Mad Elf?

• Member Contributer

Well, ya see, Trav... when a mommy Elf and a Daddy Elf wrestle without their shirts on.... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Well, ya see, Trav... when a mommy Elf and a Daddy Elf wrestle without their shirts on.... :goofy:

Har har har, how's that battery Jim? :computer-noworky:

• Member Contributer

Har har har, how's that battery Jim? :computer-noworky:

After 3 hours on the bike yesterday, it's doing pretty well, Trav... well enough to ride the 3 miles to the beer distributor to pick up some Mad Elf when it's available. :laughing6-hehe:

Archived