Dunlop D208 Any good?

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

My rear D616 is worn down in the center and I really dont want to put new tires on and just have the cold abuse them. I'd rather have new rubber when spring hits. The front still has good tread. I forgot I had a spare D208 rear in my storage. It came with my vfr when I bought her. I was just thinking of slipping that one for winter since I usually don't travel too much. Just work and back.

• Member Contributer

My rear D616 is worn down in the center and I really dont want to put new tires on and just have the cold abuse them. I'd rather have new rubber when spring hits. The front still has good tread. I forgot I had a spare D208 rear in my storage. It came with my vfr when I bought her. I was just thinking of slipping that one for winter since I usually don't travel too much. Just work and back.

I ran a set of 208s and liked them. For you, if you have D616 in front, the 208 will be a stickier tire for the rear, so handling wise I dunno if I would do that. - -probly not a good idea. - You might check the manufacturing date too.

Over time it may be worth your while to transition into some sport touring or sportier rubber.

-- A great tire buy going on now is for Pilot Powers. Just nabbed a front for $94 shipped from Dennis Kirk.

I never tryed a rear D208, even I had one as I buoght a set and only mounted the front whit the ok D220 that was on the bike when I buoght it. I sold the rear as the front was toasted in 3000km, cuped so badly the lowest grows were worn down to less than1 mm, in midle tire had just lost 0,5mm from new.

So I sold the rear and got a set of Roadsmarts inted...

So D208, grips good but fast wear.

• Member Contributer

I never tryed a rear D208, even I had one as I buoght a set and only mounted the front whit the ok D220 that was on the bike when I buoght it. I sold the rear as the front was toasted in 3000km, cuped so badly the lowest grows were worn down to less than1 mm, in midle tire had just lost 0,5mm from new.

So I sold the rear and got a set of Roadsmarts inted...

So D208, grips good but fast wear.

I got mbe 3000 miles on the rear and 5200 on the front. Didnt run into the front cup problem. I curently have a Qualifier on the front and at 2400 miles its starting to do the front shakes. I wonder if Dunlop has quality problems in the US manufacturing plants. The D208s set was made in France and was fine, and the Qualifer is made in USA and its crapping out. My rear RoadSmart is made in France and its fine so far. (Wonder if Dunlop is subbing to Michelin in France?)

• Member Contributer

I've had one set of 208's. More than sticky enough for me and I do push it from time to time but I'm no rocketeer. My disappointment came at the 2500 mile mark when I was already down to the wear bars.

Cool weather commuting?....if it's rubbery and black it'll do fine. If it's not too old (as in <5 years) go for it. Even if you only get 2000 miles out it, who cares, it was 'free'.

Brian

• Member Contributer

The Qualifiers dont last for poop. Rear or front. The rear flattens in no time and both sides of the front cups. I went through two sets and that was enough wasting money.

This isn't a triathlon fix. Just something to get me by. I got my D616's for $199. Now they're almost $250.

• Member Contributer

If you're just tossing them on there to make it to winter, then go ahead. I wouldn't count on them holding up too well. Then again, if you're just replacing the rear, you might not run into the cupping issue as fast as you would had it been a front.

Conti Motions are selling for $180 a set. A bit more than they were a few months ago, but they're good tires, and that's still much cheaper than a set of PR2s.

Archived