SW-Motec Alu-Rack breakage

pres589

• Member Contributer

Anyone seen this before? Happened to me today, I heard a clunk and wondered if I had latched the lid on my Givi topcase and instead.... a couple pictures should explain it all.

IMG_0092%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0096%20(Large).JPG

Hadn't heard of this happening to anyone before. I've got about 20,000 miles of use on this thing with one of the larger Givi top-cases although it's usually nearly empty. Called Twisted Throttle and I'm outside of the warranty on this thing but I may get something out of SW. The fun of it is, they won't have any more Alu-Racks in for another month and I'm not sure if I want to go back or not. But the Givi rack is just so... it's ugly and big and ugly. So I'm not sure which direction I'll take this. The thing fell apart on a side street and my Givi case is basically fine and everything was recovered. Is there another option to mount Givi cases on a VFR VTEC?

• Member Contributer

Hadn't heard of this happening to anyone before. I've got about 20,000 miles of use on this thing with one of the larger Givi top-cases although it's usually nearly empty. Called Twisted Throttle and I'm outside of the warranty on this thing but I may get something out of SW. The fun of it is, they won't have any more Alu-Racks in for another month and I'm not sure if I want to go back or not. But the Givi rack is just so... it's ugly and big and ugly. So I'm not sure which direction I'll take this. The thing fell apart on a side street and my Givi case is basically fine and everything was recovered. Is there another option to mount Givi cases on a VFR VTEC?

Yeah...aluminium....fun.

I use a Ventura (steel) set of L-brackets, with a Ventura Sports rack. I have the universal Givi Monolock mounting plate which bolts to Ventura Sports racks. The solution works very well, and lets me completely remove the rack and replace it with a sports bar, or traditional ventura rack for using a softbag.

277.jpg

Add the universal plate to this, and you're done.

9614-425x350.jpg

The steel they use tends to bend rather than snap if you overload it too. I have a very early production run of Ventura L-brackets which were too thin and bent easily, which I welded another plate of steel onto. Since then, they will literally hold my entire weight (80 kilos). The newer production run brackets are thicker by default.

• Member Contributer

Anyone seen this before? Happened to me today, I heard a clunk and wondered if I had latched the lid on my Givi topcase and instead.... a couple pictures should explain it all.

I use the same rack in silver, my flat base has a hairline crack in it on last mounting hole towards back of bike. I hated those 1/4 turn fasteners as top case always moved around. Its really a nice looking rack to me, I bolted the givi plate on with 3 bolts now.

Let me know if I can buy just the plate from you cheap. thanks, Doug

• Member Contributer

I use the same rack in silver, my flat base has a hairline crack in it on last mounting hole towards back of bike. I hated those 1/4 turn fasteners as top case always moved around. Its really a nice looking rack to me, I bolted the givi plate on with 3 bolts now.

Let me know if I can buy just the plate from you cheap. thanks, Doug

PS- weld it !!!! if its UGLY just hide it with the trunk on top.

Like DougFromIndy said weld it..... I would add a couple of metal rods inside 1st, then weld .... better than before........

• Forum CEO

I looked at that rack for the 1200 and came to the conclusion that the small bars extended out so far would be levering force too great for the amount of stuff I typically carry on a trip in my top bag.

• Member Contributer

I had considered the welding solution for this although I have to find a shop around here to do it. Hrm. I do wonder if running some small braces down to the passenger pegs like the Givi mount has would be a good idea. I guess that's something to discuss with whatever shop I can find. It probably won't be pretty but it'd be more sturdy and the welds I can clean with a file on a slow weekend.

• Member Contributer

#1 make the repair as ugly as possible, use silver duct tape (at least half a roll)

#2 paint it lime green and purple, maybe flourescant orange also.

#3 add SW MOTECH logos all around it

#4 shine up your bike really nice

#5 take lots of pics

#6 have a translator help you write a letter in German stating:

a) That the products are inferior to ones made in China

b) That a rack off a Chinese moped looks to be better designed with higher quality materials and better engineering.

c) That you ride around the city in shame over the hideous broken rack

d) That you tell all other riders (especially BMW riders) how bad their products are

#7 send both letter in German and scary pics to sw motech

#8 FREE rack plus bonus products at your doorstep within days.

There is an alternative. This is the Five Stars rack. It's made of steel. A Givi Monokey case will clip on without a mounting plate. It will bolt on top of the grab bars just like the SW Motec rack. Cost is under $100 including shipping from Germany to USA. I think it looks pretty good and you can't beat the price.

100_1132.jpg

• Member Contributer

I looked at that rack for the 1200 and came to the conclusion that the small bars extended out so far would be levering force too great for the amount of stuff I typically carry on a trip in my top bag.

HS,

I can't speak to their rack for the VFR1200, but had the same rack on my K1200S for a west coast romp last year (docked in Co. Springs and then did 5800 miles before returning back east). Anyway, my point is that I used mine with a VERY full top bag which was overloaded weight wise based upon what the manufacture suggests it will hold and had no issues. In total I only had the KS 8500 miles before recently selling it, but almost all of those miles the rack toted a 46 liter Givi without problem.

Matt

• Member Contributer

Have the same rack.

Never a problem.

Yours is unlucky is all.

• Member Contributer

There is an alternative. This is the Five Stars rack. It's made of steel. A Givi Monokey case will clip on without a mounting plate. It will bolt on top of the grab bars just like the SW Motec rack. Cost is under $100 including shipping from Germany to USA. I think it looks pretty good and you can't beat the price.

Where did you get this rack from? It sounds interesting but I don't see an easy American source for the things. Twisted Throttle even shows pictures on the 6th gen but they don't seem to have it for sale for this model (others but not the one I need). Ideas?

Yes do tell! I am interested as well!

** Edit ** Never mind... It appears as though Riderhaus of Five Stars went out of business or was bought up by Twisted Throttle... Great, now they charge insane prices for the Givi rack that I don't want :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

From The Other Forum I found this link you posted about this rack;

http://www.motoin.de/Luggage/Cases-Racks/Five-Stars-Delock-Topcase-racks::1044.html

Looks like everything I need really is there, just the rack and the Key Kit.

For those of you following along at home, the link to his post there is as follows; http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/30997-where-get-five-stars-rear-top-rack.html

I like this more than having my existing one welded although I may look into that as a backup. Or I could just sell my existing plate and such to someone here that asked about it and offset the costs somewhat. We'll see what pans out first, I already miss having luggage on the VFR.

From The Other Forum I found this link you posted about this rack;

http://www.motoin.de/Luggage/Cases-Racks/Five-Stars-Delock-Topcase-racks::1044.html

Looks like everything I need really is there, just the rack and the Key Kit.

For those of you following along at home, the link to his post there is as follows; http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/30997-where-get-five-stars-rear-top-rack.html

I like this more than having my existing one welded although I may look into that as a backup. Or I could just sell my existing plate and such to someone here that asked about it and offset the costs somewhat. We'll see what pans out first, I already miss having luggage on the VFR.

Looks like you've found it. Just to be clear, I have zero miles on the rack, but it seems to be very sturdy.

If you are going to mount the rack on top of the grab handles you may need a few washers under it to space it up a hair. The mounting bosses sit down into the bolt recesses of the handles, but I'm not sure they bottom out. If you're going to mount it without handles or side racks, you'll need some pretty tall spacers under it to keep it off the cowling. It's designed to sit on top of the brackets for their quick release side mounts, and they are not included (#2 in the following picture).

VFR800rack.jpg

• Member Contributer

IMG_0092%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0096%20(Large).JPG

WOW! That scares/disgusts me to the point that I will probably NEVER purchase an SW product. Totally unacceptable. The OEM rack is built like a tank (and a quick plate mod will enable it to receive GIVI cases).

• Member Contributer

SW-Motech has decided to send me a new rack even though I'm way out of warranty. I've already ordered the Five Stars what I'll probably do is collect all the hardware for the Motech and sell it used once the Five Stars is here and installed.

The fun thing is, Twisted Throttle says I won't have the Motech mount until early August. So maybe by September I'll have a nearly new mount setup to sell to someone here that wants one.

SW-Motech has decided to send me a new rack even though I'm way out of warranty. I've already ordered the Five Stars what I'll probably do is collect all the hardware for the Motech and sell it used once the Five Stars is here and installed.

The fun thing is, Twisted Throttle says I won't have the Motech mount until early August. So maybe by September I'll have a nearly new mount setup to sell to someone here that wants one.

I ordered one of those five stars racks as well... I just pray they still have enough stock!

Archived