Scala Rider G4 Powerset

micahm

• Member Contributer

gallery_20262_5424_265.jpg

gallery_20262_5424_485.jpg

gallery_20262_5424_1833.jpg

So picked one up this last weekend after alot of review and work. Factory paired sets came out of the box and worked great! Clear communications even at speed. So far we have used them bike to bike between my wife and I. I haven't tried the other features yet but plan on giving it a shot over the course of the week, and I will provide a full review then.

Install was a snap and I used the glue plates that came with it. I will include install pics and what comes in the package kits shortly. So far pretty impressed.

• Member Contributer

So picked one up this last weekend after alot of review and work. Factory paired sets came out of the box and worked great! Clear communications even at speed. So far we have used them bike to bike between my wife and I. I haven't tried the other features yet but plan on giving it a shot over the course of the week, and I will provide a full review then.

Install was a snap and I used the glue plates that came with it. I will include install pics and what comes in the package kits shortly. So far pretty impressed.

How well do they work when wearing foam ear plugs?

• Member Contributer

How well do they work when wearing foam ear plugs?

I want to try this as well. Are you just wearing a standard set of yellow foam or orange foam ear plugs? If so I will grab a set from work and give it a try.

• Member Contributer

they work great with ear plugs.

Just an FYI - to those who have a set of these, there is a firmware update out for them. (although when I did it 3 weeks ago, the computer software needed to run the update was ONLY available in the 32 bit version.) (all of my computers are currently 64 bit)

The update fixed an issue I was having pairing with one of my Nuvi's.

• Member Contributer

they work great with ear plugs.

Just an FYI - to those who have a set of these, there is a firmware update out for them. (although when I did it 3 weeks ago, the computer software needed to run the update was ONLY available in the 32 bit version.) (all of my computers are currently 64 bit)

The update fixed an issue I was having pairing with one of my Nuvi's.

I'm very happy with my G4 and have it paired to two Q2 units. I always wear foam ear plugs and the soumd is like the person is standing right next to me. I did the on-line upgrade - no problem.

You say you paired the G4 with your Nuvi's? Which model Nuvi's do you have?

• Member Contributer

I just bought a set too. They work well, make sure you route the right speaker through the top liner over the head for the FM radio to work well. The right speaker is also the antenna wire. I blue toothed it to my cell phone, not sure that was a great idea. But they do work well, highly recommended if you must talk to some one while riding.

• Member Contributer

We just got the G4's a couple of weeks ago and have them installed and as soon as I'm done working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, we are going to try them out. They work great off the bike and installation was a breeze. I love the fact that you don't have anything else to mess with.

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

Upate after a couple of uses. So heres the skinny...

1. So in general good quality.. its kinda what you expect out of small speakers though.. (at least this is my set.. so if you have a set and your getting amazing no crackling audio out of your speakers let me know) where the sound crackles at volume. This is made more interesting at speed but I can still understand my wife fine at 70+. Now her on the other hand can't understand what I am saying about 1/2 the time. Im not sure if this has to do with the position of the microphone or if I am doing something incorrectly or if there was a defect. Gotta play with it a bit more and give feedback.

Im going to try the ear plugs today and monkey with it but I get alot of "small speaker" cracking distortion over the speakers.... Anyone else.. is this normal?

thanks

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

Upate after a couple of uses. So heres the skinny...

1. So in general good quality.. its kinda what you expect out of small speakers though.. (at least this is my set.. so if you have a set and your getting amazing no crackling audio out of your speakers let me know) where the sound crackles at volume. This is made more interesting at speed but I can still understand my wife fine at 70+. Now her on the other hand can't understand what I am saying about 1/2 the time. Im not sure if this has to do with the position of the microphone or if I am doing something incorrectly or if there was a defect. Gotta play with it a bit more and give feedback.

Im going to try the ear plugs today and monkey with it but I get alot of "small speaker" cracking distortion over the speakers.... Anyone else.. is this normal?

thanks

Make sure you have the mic right at your mouth, and as close as possible (touching is best), and facing the right direction (there's a front and a rear side to the mic). Also make sure the speakers are directly centered on you ear canals, and as close as possible to you ears (again, touching is best).

I do the above, use foam ear plugs, and can hear clearly even at 80 mph. I do not get any crackling sounds. I did at first, after about 1/2 hour of use, and had to turn the unit off then back on to get it cleared. I emailed the company and they sent some instructions to fix this issue (I'll post them up when I get home tonight). Haven't used the instructions yet; just got them.

I do get more static when under power lines and the such than I did with my Q2. Not sure why. Maybe more sensitive due to the significantly increased range.:fing02:

• 1 year later...

I just posted a combo review of my HJC IS-MAX-BT + the Scala Rider G4 Powerset (2nd set is installed in an HJC full-face). With standard earplugs (yellow/pink) the communication headset to headset, music (direct mp3 and using my iPhone 4 with the A2DP profile, making and receiving voice activated calls, running all legal speeds in Alberta + 10%, I have nothing but praise for how well this system works. My wife's first comment after our ride in the pouring rain on the hwy using these G4 units was "that was an excellent purchase." I have two friends who also use the G4 and their experience is identical. One has the unit mounted on an Shoei and the other has it mounted on an Arai and all of us ride with earplugs. Hope this helps.

post-4566-0-53998000-1309067394_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

I have a set also, they work great. I dont recommend using it blue toothed with your cell phone. I have it done once while answering a call and I stopped paying attention to the road and almost an accident. But the communiction between bikes works well. Highly recommened if you need to have communication.

• Member Contributer

I paired my G4 with my iPhone. I use my iPhone iPod feature for clear, wireless, stereo music. Works great! I rarely take calls while riding, though.

Over the winter I purchased an older though new Scala (that's all it says on the box) from the local Yamaha dealer. I went to use it for my first ride and my excitement quickly disappeared. I'd push the power button and get goodish sound for about three seconds but then it would fade to an almost non existant crackling. :computer-noworky: I figured it was broken and until this thread hadn't messed with it. Turns out you hold the power button until the light flashes (about 6 econds or so) Now I'm excited,lol :laughing6-hehe::cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I just got back from a 5 day tour of Colorado running sweep behind the wife. She talks softly which doesn't activate the VOX well but when she speaks up a bit and clearly I have no problem hearing her. Works great with ear plugs as well. In fact, I prefer that combo as it cuts down the wind noise and when the volume automatically turns up I don't go deaf. I do get crackling but only in my right speaker though. Must have to do with the antenna built in the wire. It doesn't interfere with communications though so I am very happy with our G4 set. :fing02:

Archived