GPS Recos

Guest danmurphymn

Guest danmurphymn

sorry to start another thread on this but I'm lost. I've read through a lot of the threads on GPS's but it all seems so confusing.

I'm looking for something: (in order of importance)

1. Cheap

2. Bluetooth to link to my cardo scala

3. Ideally with the bread crumb feature

4. Can input maps into it.

I'm willing to deal without some of these features. I really don't plan on needing it all that often but would like to have it in case i need it. I really like the breadcrumb option so I can go exploring and find my way back.

Can someone give me a recommendation and tell me what features I will want and which I shouldn't care about? Thanks.

Pretty much anything with the Bluetooth feature will work for you then. They only get expensive if you throw in 'waterproof'. Since 'cheap' is the number one criteria, you should put up a real number. My cheap and your cheap are prolly very different.... I thought my Nuvi 550 (waterproof and loading routes were my Main criteria) was cheap at 279$, but then others here cough at anything over 100 bucks.

Brian

• Member Contributer

Can someone give me a recommendation and tell me what features I will want and which I shouldn't care about? Thanks.

Nope. Can't do that for ya. I can tell you what I want, but that's about it.

Back in the day, you could buy yourself an older TomTom One 125 for $50-$80, load a custom OS on there, and then have whatever features you want. Tightwad has a topic on this. HOWEVER, since they moved to firmware 8.xxxx.xx.x.x.xx, you can't do this anymore. You can't even downgrade the firmware without bricking the device.

How are you defining cheap anyways. Because cheap and 'feature rich' never go hand in hand.

I can't name any cheap GPS's off the top of my hand that have all these features. Not sure about the Kung-Fu 'lost-in-china-town' GPS. TomTom Rider is under $200 I think and might have those features, but I didn't think it was that good of a GPS.

• Member Contributer

you can pick up a Garmin nuvi 765T for under $200 now. I have one of these on each of my bikes. I use it for listening to MP3's and directions via my Cardo G4 powerset.

I am also able to download all of the routes into it for our get togethors, like I did for Summer Summit & TMAC.

It also has free lifetime traffic, in addition to the Bluetooth.

Cheap is under 200 ideally. I have a list going to research further from looking at other threads.

nuvi 350

garmin 2610

nuvi 750

garmin quest

nuvi 765

So far to me it looks like the nuvi 765 and garmin 2610 are in the lead (with very little research)

On top of the gps, how much rougly will it cost to setup a ram mount on a 6th gen?

I change my mind, the Nuvi 750 looks like my top pick. I don't need bluetooth afterall since my cardo is the Q2 and can't accept bluetooth anyway.

• Member Contributer

I change my mind, the Nuvi 750 looks like my top pick. I don't need bluetooth afterall since my cardo is the Q2 and can't accept bluetooth anyway.

I have the Nuvi 750 for my GPS on the bike too. Love it. Prolly run you about $40 to get a RAM mount. I don't have a cig lighter so I bought another power cord to cannibalize to use on the bike.

If you get one be sure to ask for the Mapsource software for the computer. They don't come with the software but mine cost me nothing when I ask them to send me the program.

Cheap is under 200 ideally. I have a list going to research further from looking at other threads.

nuvi 350

garmin 2610

nuvi 750

garmin quest

nuvi 765

So far to me it looks like the nuvi 765 and garmin 2610 are in the lead (with very little research)

On top of the gps, how much rougly will it cost to setup a ram mount on a 6th gen?

I'm not sure you need the bread crumb feature. Any GPS will get you home if you get lost. You only need track logs if you want to see where you've been after you get home. Is there any other reason for this feature?

IMO custom routes and multi-point routing is a necessity, as is road avoidance. On the bike you will want to exclude certain roads, and some units won't let you do this.

Some of the cheaper ones have bluetooth for handsfree calling, but I don't think they will pair to a headset, so be careful when shopping for that feature. There are several different bluetooth "profiles". You can skip the integrated bluetooth and get a cheaper unit with a headphone jack and use a bluetooth dongle, but that's one more thing to carry and one more battery to charge. I use a $12 BT dongle from China, it works well and lasts 3 hours per charge.

From your list;

The Nuvi 350 doesn't do multi-point routing

The Nuvi 750 does not have bluetooth

The StreetPilot 2610... Why are you even considering it?

The Garmin Quest.. the only thing going for it is "motorcycle friendly" which I assume means waterproof.

The Nuvi 765 is the clear winner, and you can get one under $200 now.

A ram mount setup will run you $35-40, plus wiring.

If you have the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 it is bluetooth and can connect to a GPS.

• Member Contributer

yes the cardio will connect, what the Q2 will not do is connect to a A2DP bluetooth, for that you'll need the Q4. But as far as I know all Garmin units that support BT and have an MP3 player will send MP3 sound to any bluetooth headset. Even if the GPS is A2DP it will still connect to your cardio headset and play MP3s its just a mono signal.

Get the bluetooth, I said the samething when I bought my Zumo 450, Why do I need that? To this day I still kick myself in the ass for not spending the $100 more and getting a 550.

• Member Contributer

Some of the cheaper ones have bluetooth for handsfree calling, but I don't think they will pair to a headset, so be careful when shopping for that feature. There are several different bluetooth "profiles". You can skip the integrated bluetooth and get a cheaper unit with a headphone jack and use a bluetooth dongle, but that's one more thing to carry and one more battery to charge. I use a $12 BT dongle from China, it works well and lasts 3 hours per charge.

If you have the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 it is bluetooth and can connect to a GPS.

:laughing6-hehe: A friend of mine got a Garmin (don't remember the model) GPS with BlueTooth thinking he could use it with a headset. Nope. It will sync with his phone, but not the headset, so it's basically useless for that feature.

Yes, the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 does do Bluetooth. I have one which is synced to my Zumo 550 (not cheap) which is also synced to my iPhone. And the Q2 is synced with its partner which my fiance uses, so we can talk to each other, and I can also get voice instructions from the GPS and make/receive phone calls if I want. But again, it's not cheap by any definition of the word.

• 11 months later...

So I've started looking at these again. It looks like the Garmin Nuvi 765 seems to be the best fit. I'd like it to be able to bluetooth the directions into my cardo scala Q2 and also be able to load custom routes. By the looks of it, this one can do both. Can anyone verify that it will be able to do this?

One other question on the routes, can I just download a google map route onto here?

• Member Contributer

One other question on the routes, can I just download a google map route onto here?

You can but you will need to convert the google maps to the gpx file format. Google search it and you will find plenty of links on how to do this. It's pretty easy.

• Member Contributer

So I've started looking at these again. It looks like the Garmin Nuvi 765 seems to be the best fit. I'd like it to be able to bluetooth the directions into my cardo scala Q2 and also be able to load custom routes. By the looks of it, this one can do both. Can anyone verify that it will be able to do this?

Make sure the GPS BT can handle NAV directions from the unit plus pair to phone (if you want that). Some BT setups will only take NAV BT directions. Myself I use a 3.5 wired connection for NAV prompts, MP3 and Cell receive or output.

RE Route building.

You should be able to do the Google without a major problem. However when you construct a route on a different mapset than the GPS sometimes you can have conversion issues. THe best way is to build a route in Mapsource using the same mapset that you have in the GPS unit. Another Mapsource advantage is that you can build individual and alternate daily routes in one Mapsource file plus you can load the tracks from your actual tour back into the same file. Not sure how the 765 handles tracks?

I have a 765T which is almost the same. It does bluetooth with my Nolan N103 perfectly and gives perfect sound from the MP3 player in it. I have also used it with the 3.5mm connector cable and does the same job. It is suppose to be able to bluettoth to a cellphone and then to the helmet and you can answer the phone from the GPS but hav'nt tried that yet.

You would need MapSource as well to upload customs routes and maps but that can be got for nothing on the net and just takes a bit to set up. It can certainly do routes and multi-point routes okay.

• Member Contributer

I just bought a 765T for $150. I have only used it briefly in the car, but it seems like a great unit for the price.

The BlueTooth works well with the cell phone. My ram mounts just arrived a couple of days ago, so this weekend's

task will be to get everything installed and ready for TMac.

• Member Contributer

Hi all, I've been using the Nuvi 765T for over a year now and like it. I have a Powerlet cord from my fuse block powering the GPS. I have it RAM mounted on the left handlebar.

The 765T has a nicely powered amp and is more than enough to power my bluetooth headset (even with custom ear plugs). The 765T will bluetooth to a cell phone, but you cannot bluetooth that to your helmet. The 765T only handles calls through it's internal speaker. Believe me, I've tried every configuration possible. So, I can either pair my iphone with my headset if i anticipate having to take or make a call and listen to music, but not as loudly as the Nuvi, or pair with the Nuvi for directions and music.

I have a sunshade velcroed on it and it's very nice. I have the locking handle on my RAM mount and, I know it's extreme, but have superglued the GPS to the cradle. I've also put a little strip of paper on the bottom front of the GPS stating, "Useless to you without the code." So far no one's tried to take it...good luck.

YellowFuzz

Archived