6th Gen & soft saddlebags

whiteboyslo

• Member Contributer

has anyone successfully mounted soft saddlebags on a 6th gen? any suggestions on brands or mounting methods?

Mike

Cortech tri-bags and the smaller set work. You just have to fiddle with em'. Sorry I don't have any pix though. I had them for a couple of years before I got my hard bags off of EBay.

• Member Contributer

I've got the MOTOPAK large expandable bags. I've had them for two years but just started using them recently. My bike has the long Micron cans on it and they melted the neoprene protective pads(small spots) in just a few minutes when I first got the bags. So I was just going to make one of those supports that a few people on VFRD have made to keep them away from the pipes. I never got around to it but it just occurred to me last week that my GIVI rack for my top box might keep the bags far enough from the cans.

gallery_6732_4904_3558388.jpg

IMG_3776[1].jpg

gallery_6732_4904_1603089.jpg

IMG_3774[1].jpg

When they don't have much in them I add a bungee across the back for stability. The pads are then touching the cans but not enough to melt. These bags have no shortage of strap and tie down options. Great quality too. I've been using/abusing a motopak tankbag for years.

gallery_6732_4904_676601.jpg

IMG_3773[1].jpg

I used a set of FirstGear expanding soft bags a couple times before I mounted my OEM hard bags. They worked pretty well but I had to use extra bungees to really fasten them down.

• Member Contributer

I've got the MOTOPAK large expandable bags. I've had them for two years but just started using them recently. My bike has the long Micron cans on it and they melted the neoprene protective pads(small spots) in just a few minutes when I first got the bags. So I was just going to make one of those supports that a few people on VFRD have made to keep them away from the pipes. I never got around to it but it just occurred to me last week that my GIVI rack for my top box might keep the bags far enough from the cans.

I have Nelson-Rigg bags, worked well with the OEM exhaust, but the Scorpions got a little too hot, so I made heat shields for them to prevent direct contact with the can. My first set were aluminium (painted black), then made a second set from stainless.

HS7jpg.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS1.jpg

Cigarbuf came up with this.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/42484-my-saddlebag-solution-100

I have done the same to my bike and have had zero problem in thousands of miles traveled with soft bags in place.

Here is my post lower down in Cigarbuf's thread...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/42484-my-saddlebag-solution-100/page__view__findpost__p__516777

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/42484-my-saddlebag-solution-100

I have done the same to my bike and have had zero problem in thousands of miles traveled with soft bags in place.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/42484-my-saddlebag-solution-100/page__view__findpost__p__516777

Yeah, man. :fing02: :excl: I wish you guys would make up a few and sell em to us cats with no manufacturing facilities.

• Member Contributer

OEM pipes should not get hot enough to melt your bags. After a high revving ride, my heat shields are still cool to the touch.

Noticed you're sporting the 2 bros. setup, whiteboyslo, so you may need some heat shields like these http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/inferno_heat_shield.php to clamp around each side with a couple of stainless hose clamps or stainless tie wraps. These pads are 6" x 14" and withstand up to 990 degrees. One should fit just about perfectly on each can. Oh, wait, you may need only one heat shield if your 2 bros. system uses one can as a storage tube. Not sure of your setup. Anyway, the beauty of this rig is no fabricating required! Sorry, I don't have any pics, but it's a pretty simple arrangement...2 heat shields and 4 hose clamps.

has anyone successfully mounted soft saddlebags on a 6th gen? any suggestions on brands or mounting methods?

Mike

I've mounted a couple of different sets of soft luggage, there are some Chase Harper stealth pics in my Gallery, and I just added some new Nelson Riggs minis last week.

Made up a set of standoffs out of stainless conduit to keep the bags off the exhaust and to keep them hanging straight when loaded. I like 'em cuz the look alright even when the luggage is removed.

vfrd2.jpg

vfrd4.jpg

vfrd3.jpg

vfrd1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I bought a pair of Cargo Basics Endurance sport saddlebags from Cyclegear to go with my Givi E460 on longer trips. They work great, don't interfere with the passenger pegs, and are expandable to carry tons of stuff. They balance pretty well and don't seem to add alot of weight to the bike either.

HOWEVER... the clip fasteners that come with them are freakin worthless. I remedied that by ordering a pair of fasteners from safetycentral, and having a local seamstress put them on. With the new fasteners and a bungee cord on either side, they work pretty well. If you end up going with a pair of softbags with those quick-release type buckles, make sure you fasten them and then yank them around and put them to the test... if they show any signs of loosening, either buy another brand, or be prepared to do what I did and buy your own clips.

I've had no issues with heat from the exhaust damaging the bags or their contents, and they sit right up next to the heat shields. The bags don't interfere with the passenger pegs either.

P4240382.jpg

P4290671.jpg

• Member Contributer

I used a tailbag along with my saddle bags. The only way I found it worked was mounting the saddled bags ONTO the tail bag. Sounds strange but it really worked well. I did a 5000kms trip with it and it worked far better.

Step one. Set tailbag on bed or table.

Step two. Mount saddle bags onto the tailbag while on bed or table

Step three. tie saddle bags to tailbag. make sure not to get in the way of the tail bag straps

Step Four. Pick everything up and mount on bike.

oh! be sure to pack everything first.

P1020016.jpg

P1020004.jpg

• 1 month later...

I did Cigarbuf's bracket today. If you follow his directions, it isn't hard at all. Instead of a bender, I used a few c clamps and 2x4's to keep the bends clean. I just have to drill and mount now.

DSC00652.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay after reading through a couple of luggage posts, I'm thinking that if you have a carbon fiber exhaust, the chances of your soft luggage melting is greatly reduced...what do you guys think? I'm makin a trip to Indy for the MotoGP race in September and need some luggage. I figure a set of soft luggage and some CF Leo Vince cans will kill two birds and cost less money than the OEM hard saddlebags will.

I think I'm gonna try out the Cortech Sport Saddlebags. Anyone that has them have any complaints? I wonder what the blue ones would look like on the RWB?

• Member Contributer

Seeing as everyone else already posted more than enough pics, I'll simply give you the inside track.

Took a set of Fieldsheer saddle bags 6700 miles last year. Now have hard bags.

Will be posting the saddle bags up in the 'pay it forward' section for the cost of shipping.

One broken strap and a little worn but still fully intact and very useable - like I said, lasted 6700 miles from Canada to Dillon, CO.

Anywhoo, it is very dooable and if you PM me, you too can have a set for nothing more than shipping. Or, don't and someone else will

Archived