Reusing Heated Grips

ECX585

Question

• Member Contributer

I'd like to remove Dual Star heated grips from one set of bars and install them on another. Any removal advice? What type of adhesive should I use to reapply the heating elements? Thanks.

9 answers to this question

I tried and failed when switching from stock bars to convertibars. though it isn't too hard to get the plastic backing material to come off in one piece if it stretches or deforms much it will cause the underlying metal strip to break connection. I'd recommend a heat gun, a plastic spackle knife, a lot of patience, and working very slowly.

A better options would be to mount it on the heat shrink tubing when putting it on and then just slice that off and reglue on the new bar end. Or just buy an extra clutch side grip and switchgear retaining ring and leave it on the bars.

... rjs

• Member Contributer

I'd like to remove Dual Star heated grips from one set of bars and install them on another. Any removal advice? What type of adhesive should I use to reapply the heating elements? Thanks.

I did this.... then was blowing fuses due to metal wearing through. Better to just get new ones, they are cheap!

I didnt swap mine, but the throttle side got loose and I tried to re-attache it and failed. The elements then got bunched up and shorted with associated black burn marks. This was on my way back from NY city in the dead of winter, and I missed them dearly. Bought new ones and all is well.

So I just removed mine from my bike. I know they're cheap but I have the summer to try them out and make sure they don't short on my NEW HELIBARS!! I used heat and took them off slow. Just have a few questions. Could I put heatshrink over the bars so that if there are small peices of exposed wires, they won't short? Also, can I just stick them on as best as I can then run a layer of duct tape over them? Or is it best to use a high temp spray adhesive? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

So I just removed mine from my bike. I know they're cheap but I have the summer to try them out and make sure they don't short on my NEW HELIBARS!! I used heat and took them off slow. Just have a few questions. Could I put heatshrink over the bars so that if there are small peices of exposed wires, they won't short? Also, can I just stick them on as best as I can then run a layer of duct tape over them? Or is it best to use a high temp spray adhesive? Thanks.

you absolutely can use heat shrink tubing (in fact, it will provide you with much more even heat transfer on the clutch side). as far as shorts, i don't know that it will make a huge difference.

i couldn't get my dual stars off without destroying them, so i just replaced them.

• Member Contributer

I was able to switch mine when I removed Helibars and put stock bars back on. Just got them good and warm before starting, and everything came off easily. To hold them when putting back on, I used a small piece of electrical tape. It's a little tricky to get the new grips over the used heaters, but I used soapy water and then ran the heaters several times in following few days to "dry them out". Worked like a charm. You got nothing to lose to try it. Just take your time, go slow, and you'll get it.

When I swapped my dual stars I just peeled them off carefully and re-glued them with Super 77 spray glue, so far so good.

I took mine off and they are still somewhat sticky. Will it be okay if I just stick them back on and wrap them in electrical tape real good instead of re-gluing them? Or will this cause problems down the road?

Archived