Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest

bobo

• Member Contributer

I have three of the Tourmaster Synergy controllers and have not yet had a problem with any of them. Now you've got me worried. The only problem I have had was with the jacket liner. The attachment point where the connector exits the jacket tore out almost immediately. Piss-poor workmanship.

• Member Contributer

My issue is a little different... my vest works but even on the highest setting it is not that warm. From what others say the highest setting should be very warm. We have entered spring here so it will probably not be used until next fall again.

I was thinking of replacing my Aerostich Kanetsu vest (still working fine after several years) with a Tourmaster jacket, but after reading so many on-line threads about failures of the controller I have decided that no way will Tourmaster get any of my $$$.

Latest gen of Warm & Safe seem to have a much better reputation, as does Gerbing.

So much crap coming out of China, I just want to "just say no" to any more stuff from there. Except that's virtually impossible in today's economy, at least for someone not filthy rich.

I bought mine last year and so far it seems to work great. On the lowest setting I found myself baking inside. The highest setting is way to hot.

I just ordered one so we'll see if the problems are still happening.

VERY BOLD! cheerleader.gif

I've also had no problem and routinally run heat for hours and hours, never shuts off

But the complaints are kinda scarey

I'm running an st1300 battery

• 6 months later...

As mentioned earlier, I am on controller #3. Certainly hope they get back to you. Would really like to hear what they have to say. Please do keep us posted.

OK, guess I'm officially a member of the faulty controller club. Mine must have shut down 8 times on the way to work this morning. Just sent an e-mail to Tourmaster.

• Member Contributer

Tour Master was quick to reply. They are sending out a new controller. No proof of purchase required and I don't have to send the old one back. They get my thumbs up for customer service. Let's hope the new controller solves the problem.

Good news. They need to stand by their product if they want to continue to make in-roads in the heated gear segment. They must certainly have realized they had some QC issues with their controllers.

Hopefully the new one arrives soon. Its gettin' chilly out there!

Tour Master was quick to reply. They are sending out a new controller. No proof of purchase required and I don't have to send the old one back. They get my thumbs up for customer service. Let's hope the new controller solves the problem.

Glad it was that easy, this will be my 3rd season on the vest, no trouble yet , and I so much wanted to get a jacket too

• Member Contributer

I will probably spring for jacket liner soon. Amazing to me that they still have this problem ...sounds like a routine issue to customer service :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

New controller arrived Saturday. I give Tour Master credit for a quick response! It was 27 degrees when I left the house this morning. Controller worked the whole way. Vest kept me toasty! Hope this is the end of the problems.

• Member Contributer

I went with Warm & Safe gear. I got their bluetooth dual controller. Less wires required.

Mark

Contoller #2 took a dump today. Shut off and I couldn't get it to turn back on until I got in the parking lot at work. :beatdeadhorse:

You must have a bad vest or something , mines been flawless, I have the vest with no collar

are you seeing good voltage reads from your bike?

I would recommend looking at gerbings gear. They have awesoem equipment and great customer service. A friend of mine had a set of G3's go out (original design) and he sent them in and they sent a brand new pair out. He also uses the jacket liner and no issues with the dual controller (3 years so far).

I will be getting some of there gear soon! :biggrin:

This the first I've read of these problems and I just returned from a trip to the local motorcycle store with, you guessed it, a Tourmaster Synergy Vest. I've owned the Synergy gloves for over a year and they have worked flawlessly. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens on my next trip out in the cold.

• Member Contributer

I read somewhere that if there is a bad connection, the Tourmaster controller will shut off. Since reading that, I've been giving the connector a twist when plugging it in. I have not had it shut off since I've been doing this.

I'm beginning to think I was on to something when I posted this. Further research leads me to believe that my original controller was an updated version. I used the original controller on the ride to work today. Again, it shut off several times. I noticed that it seemed to shut off after I had to stop for a red light. When I got to work, I played around with the power wire and connector. I found that a slight tug on the wire would shut off the controller. I have a Powerlet socket near the passenger foot peg. I have been running the wire over my thigh and down to the outlet. I believe that when I put my foot back on the peg after leaving the red lights, I'm pulling on the wire causing the power interruption. For the trip home, I ran the wire under my leg and it worked fine all the way home. At home I pulled the male end of the powerlet connector apart and found a slightly loose connection. I should have gone with my instincts and checked the connections earlier, but I fell victim to the bad controller hype. I'm going to look for a coiled cord to replace the current wire. Between the repaired loose connection and the give of a coiled cord, I think my problems will be solved.

I have the Gerbings liner. I had a minor problem with it for awhile. It would shut off, then come back on after awhile. Seem like everytime I moved on the bike. I would lose heat, or it would come back on. Found out that the power cord plug that plugs into the liner wasn't making a good connection at times. I spread the inner pin in the plug apart some, and all was fine. Haven't had a problem since late spring. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Victory has been declared! :cheerleader:

Picked up a Gerbings coiled power cord for the heated vest at my favorite motorcycle shop, Country Rode Motowerks (Fairport, NY.) Changed out one end for my powerlet plug. No more loose connections, and now I can move around on the bike without tugging on the cord or connector!

Went on a 200 mile ride to celebrate. :bliss:

Victory has been declared! :cheerleader:

Picked up a Gerbings coiled power cord for the heated vest at my favorite motorcycle shop, Country Rode Motowerks (Fairport, NY.) Changed out one end for my powerlet plug. No more loose connections, and now I can move around on the bike without tugging on the cord or connector!

Went on a 200 mile ride to celebrate. :bliss:

Oh, I tie a peice of sting velcro on both sides of the connection . So the gerbings power cord fits the synergy jack perfect, no modding? was your synergy connect to battery or power port.

• Member Contributer

Oh, I tie a peice of sting velcro on both sides of the connection . So the gerbings power cord fits the synergy jack perfect, no modding? was your synergy connect to battery or power port.

The Gerbings cord is an extension with a male coax at one end and a female coax at the other. The Synergy vest has a female coax connector. I cut off the female coax on the Gerbings cord and replaced it with the Powerlet connector that I had on the original Synergy cord.

Gerbings coiled cord. (I cut off the red labeled connector.)

gerbings_cxcc_tn.jpg

Powerlet plug

Powerlet.jpg

• Member Contributer

Good to know, so originally you werent using a direct battery connect with your synergy vest ,but a power port connection?

and that connection was losing contact?

That is correct.

I'm happy to report that I just returned home from work this morning and my Synergy vest is working fine. This is the second time using my vest. The coldest air temp reading was 23 degrees. This equates to 1 degree wind chill factor at 55 mph. The combination of heated gloves and vest, along with heated grips was very comfortable. I'm also using a dual pane faceshield and there was no fog or condensation build up.

Archived