A Simple Fork'en Questions

didit

• Member Contributer

Taking the bike to a local shop, buddy runs the service dept. Getting clutch & break fluids bled and changed.

Planning on having the front forks done and not sure exactly what to order / request from racetech.

I've done the online calculation thing and got some advice from radar to go a down .5 from thier rating.

As I'm not a super aggressive rider but a heavier one, can ya'll recommend the other parts to order?

If I order the FRSP S3732095 front fork springs do I need a valve damping kit? Type 1 Gold? G2-R Gold Valve? Goldmemeber? Moley Moley Moooollle?

Any certain type of fork oil? (not looking to stir the oil thread pot here) Should I just take what my manual says or something new & special for forks?

For any of you's guys out there who still wanna tell me how easy it is, get you ass up here and show me.

I'll gladdly put you up, cook you a royal dinner, serve a couple of special bottles of fine wine from the cellar and send you packen with a 6pk of BC's finest.

But if my front end locks up and I go ass over tea kettle, guess who's bike I'll be getting?

Thank you, that is all.

• Member Contributer

call racetech and talk with them.. how you ride..passenger or not . your weight ect. ect.. think of your buget and and make a deal.

• Member Contributer

I'm gonna guess your 220lbs based on your .95kg spring choice??

Get the G2-R compression valves and the High Frequency Rebounds. Better valves at no extra cost.

EDIT: When you get all your parts they will give you access to their network that will do all the fancy stuff for you and tell you what oil weight and shim stacks. Whoever is building them up will be able to get that info.

For any of you's guys out there who still wanna tell me how easy it is, get you ass up here and show me.

I'll gladdly put you up, cook you a royal dinner, serve a couple of special bottles of fine wine from the cellar and send you packen with a 6pk of BC's finest.

But if my front end locks up and I go ass over tea kettle, guess who's bike I'll be getting?

Thank you, that is all.

To steal a quote from Baileyrock... "If you're buyin', I'm flyin'!" :mellow:

• Member Contributer

Thank ya'll. I'll call them in the AM and confirm exactly what to get & do.

SEB, you wanna book you flight, you let me know when & I'll order the parts up to you and you can bring them too.

To start we'll have fresh BC Salmon Lox on cream cheese & baguette, with prochutto wrapped asparagus.

Hope you like fine Alberta filet with sauteed mushrooms in a white wine, asiago & artichoke sauce.

Steamed carrots & broccolli with holindaise, baby nugget potatoes.

We'll first consume (while I cook) a bottle of '06 Nota Bene (round $75 a bottle & 93 points) for appetizers,

then move to a real nice '04 Malbec to sooth the flavours with the garlic & oil seasoned beef.

Afterwards, digestion will be aided with a few glasses of a fine Portagese Tawny. Then some billiards and a few Stoli & Cran to finish the night.

Otherwise, I'll just throw the money at the dealer and have dinner with my vegetarian wife.

If you are going to correct the front of the bike it makes good sense to re spring the rear,the bike will be in balance then.fing02.gifSuspension works as a unit.

Don't forget I think VFRD members still get 15% discount at RaceTech! Don't we? :mellow:

BR

I think that's a VFRD legend? I tried for the discount in December (and I think a few other guys did as well?) and got nowhere with it. Maybe I didn't ask nice enough?

• Member Contributer

If you are going to correct the front of the bike it makes good sense to re spring the rear,the bike will be in balance then.fing02.gifSuspension works as a unit.

:rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Spoke to Louie at Racetech. Based on me at 240lbs, while it's apart if I want to do the 'whole' package.

FRSP S3732100 springs - $110

FMGV 2040G G2-R Gold valve kit - $179

FRGV S02 Rebound Gold valve kit - $169

Current exchange is .96 CDN

They don't normally offer a discount, but would give a 10% VFRD off price. So $458 lest 45.80 = 412.00

$425 + shipping + GST + potential duty (suposed to be no duty on US made motorcycle parts) = round $500.

Then shop fees, oil and so on. Hmm, looking at a $700 pre-riding season bill without touching my rear shock.

jasonsmith, what was your rear shock worth?

Have to think about this one.

EDIT: Okay, don't yell at me but here' the plan.

Taking the bike in to the shop soon. They'll set up the preload with me (with gear on) on the bike, on site.

Change oil in the forks and check the seals. If they feel the preload for my size is good, then good.

The bike will be stored there unitl April 15 (when I insure) anyway so if it needs springs then they can be done

as the funds become available. Do I really "need" the Gold valve & rebound kit?

I'd love to do everything (front & back complete refit) but $1k is $1k, know what I mean?

If anyone goes to sell a rear spring, to suite my size (not a racer, just a rider) than I can always pick it up and install later.

i'm going through pretty much the same thing with my 51K forks & shock

there in need of attention - i could do with some compression damping on the front too

after their oil & seal change i'll dial in some more compression damping and see how that

goes before i start spending $1k ... let us know how you go

• Member Contributer

Ordering spring only and changing that with new oil. It'll be a little while before a riding comparison but I will update when then is now, ya know.

EDIT Mar. 16: Racetech a little slow in getting back to me and online ordering was down so I went with Sonic Springs. $91 shipped to US receiver.

Again, update coming once servicing is done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Okay, Sonic Springs installed with #7 fork oil plus clutch & break fluids flushed and replaced.

Did a short area ride and there is a definite improvement. Much firmer and feels more responsive & confident in basic corners.

Full service bill was $240 + the $91 for the springs.

Sonic Springs was quite happy to help and provide answers quickly. I was a little concerned at first, as I couldn't find a phone number on thier site.

A quick reply to my email inquiry, he provided his number - doesn't like to waste time on the phone during business hrs.

Overall, quite happy with the whole process. Hoping for a 2 day ride to the Kootenays and back this weekend, for a real good test.

Archived