S.H.I.E.L.D. Tech Transitions SOLFX Helmet Visors

vfracer750

Hi all,

I came across an advertisement for these helmet visors in Rider Magazine. I remember reading about them a while back and it looks like they have finally rolled the product out. They transition from dark to clear (like eye glass lenses).

[url=]http://shieldtechllc.com/products_powersports-visors.php[/url]

They are pricey at $129 for the Shoei replacement.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA,

Roger

• Member Contributer

I had some of those eyeglasses, years ago. They were not light enough in dark places, or dark enough in the sunlight. They didn't change quickly enough. And when I was in the car, there wasn't enough UV to keep them dark. As a result they were irritating and the next time I replaced my glasses I spent the same amount of money to get two pairs, one clear and one dark.

Maybe the technology has improved by now and this stuff works better. And at least the motorcycle face shield is never going to be used in the car, so UV blocking window glass won't cause a problem. But I'm still not planning to go first, I'll wait for someone else to review these shields before I buy one.

I use transitions brand every day. I wouldn't hesitate to get a shield with their material. The technology has improved every year, over the last five years. The polycarbonate can go from clear to 84% very quickly. It also lightens up to 20% in under 1min. Back to clear (4-5%) in under 3min. I'm looking in to being able to sell the shields in house. Transitions has been sending me teaser info for the last couple months.

• Member Contributer

I just bought an HJC IS-16 helmet with the built in sun visor for $130.00. I looked at that shield but figured if I could get the whole helmet instead why not. If the helmet turns out to be junk then I'll be back at that shield idea I guess. Looks like a great product providing it's durable enough.

• Member Contributer

This looks pretty interesting to me, but their shopping cart doesn't work and I've been too lazy to call.

I'd probably put a pinlock/fogproof lens behind it like I have now because single-layer visors fog immediately and completely for me. The thought of not having to carry around glasses then shove them in between my head and helmet with gloves on would be worth it smile.gif

• 6 months later...

I have an internal sun shield on my helmet..... I like the fact that I can go to clear at the push of a button. IE; tunnels/dark shady areas.

• Member Contributer

:bliss: on what Monk said. I recently bought the Scorpion helmet with the internal half shield...........it's awesome for my typical evening rides (riding west in the late afternoon, then back east as the sun goes down). Transitions lenses (and shields) can take up to a minute to change completely, so if you'd need a quick change for tunnels, etc. this shield probably isn't for you. These also react to UV light, not visible light, so they could remain fairly tinted on a cloudy day. "Transitions" is a great brand and the technology has advanced over the years, but they could be using an older technology for these shields. It may be perfect for your riding conditions, but I'd spend my $100 + on a great pair of sunglasses that would be used when on or off the bike. Check out Ebay for a pair of Serengetti Drivers :offtopic: ................my SO is an optician, so I'm :squid: with some great shades!!

:bliss: on what Monk said. I recently bought the Scorpion helmet with the internal half shield...........it's awesome for my typical evening rides (riding west in the late afternoon, then back east as the sun goes down). Transitions lenses (and shields) can take up to a minute to change completely, so if you'd need a quick change for tunnels, etc. this shield probably isn't for you. These also react to UV light, not visible light, so they could remain fairly tinted on a cloudy day. "Transitions" is a great brand and the technology has advanced over the years, but they could be using an older technology for these shields. It may be perfect for your riding conditions, but I'd spend my $100 + on a great pair of sunglasses that would be used when on or off the bike. Check out Ebay for a pair of Serengetti Drivers :offtopic: ................my SO is an optician, so I'm :squid: with some great shades!!

Are your Serengetti glasses ... Blue blockers? I had a pair for hunting and ended up using for riding, I could see every thing in the road and deer in the woods. I need to get me another set.

• Member Contributer

+1.gif on what Monk said. I recently bought the Scorpion helmet with the internal half shield...........it's awesome for my typical evening rides (riding west in the late afternoon, then back east as the sun goes down). Transitions lenses (and shields) can take up to a minute to change completely, so if you'd need a quick change for tunnels, etc. this shield probably isn't for you. These also react to UV light, not visible light, so they could remain fairly tinted on a cloudy day. "Transitions" is a great brand and the technology has advanced over the years, but they could be using an older technology for these shields. It may be perfect for your riding conditions, but I'd spend my $100 + on a great pair of sunglasses that would be used when on or off the bike. Check out Ebay for a pair of Serengetti Drivers :offtopic: ................my SO is an optician, so I'm :bliss: with some great shades!!

Are your Serengetti glasses ... Blue blockers? I had a pair for hunting and ended up using for riding, I could see every thing in the road and deer in the woods. I need to get me another set.

They're not Blue Blockers, but they do block 90+% of blue light..........so some of the technology may be the same. They also change the tint darkness slightly based on UV light (not as much as Transitions)..........and they increase contrast and reduce glare. I wear mine over contacts when I'm riding if I'm not wearing the Scorpion with the internal shield. There are some fair prices on Ebay for discontinued styles. :squid: come to Seb's Catskill Fall Ride and take my pair for a test ride !

Archived