46mm axle nut socket on sale

SEBSPEED

I started looking for one of these a couple weeks ago, needed to add one to my tool set for future axle bearing services... I found this one today: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-5256-sk-hand-tool-34096.aspx

SK-34096.jpg

It's made by SK tools, and is currently on sale 42% off for $22.95. I got a couple other items from their clearance section and the shipping came to $8.95.

For reference, a 1&13/16" should also work.

Ordinarily, one wouldn't need an impact socket, but if it's on sale, it might be cheaper than a regular socket at full price.

A 3/4 drive version would be more ideal, but I don't have a 3/4 breaker bar or torque wrench. This was one of the few sockets I found that is a brand name AND 1/2" drive. :goofy:

Ordinarily, one wouldn't need an impact socket, but if it's on sale, it might be cheaper than a regular socket at full price.

A 3/4 drive version would be more ideal, but I don't have a 3/4 breaker bar or torque wrench. This was one of the few sockets I found that is a brand name AND 1/2" drive. :goofy:

I have a 46mm regular (non-impact) Westward socket that I use. It's a 6 pointer.

Unf, it's 3/4" drive, so I also have a 3/4x1/2" adaptor. Not the prettiest, but it works.

And hey, how often do you take that off anyhow, right?

I have a 46mm regular (non-impact) Westward socket that I use. It's a 6 pointer.

Unf, it's 3/4" drive, so I also have a 3/4x1/2" adaptor. Not the prettiest, but it works.

Well, that should work too! Not having one at all made this one a good choice for me. They don't need to be taken off often at all, but it's nice to be able to check the torque on them at will, and the use also depends on the number of VFR's owned and their mileages...

I coulda done with one of them thar sockets. Instead, when I put a new nut on (the old one was manky looking), I bought a cheap-ass crescent to loosen it, and took it into the bike shop to get my dodgy mate to torque it up. Completely negated the point of getting a new nut: he used a centre punch to lock it into the groove, and put three (3!!) indents in it. sad.gif It looks far worse than the old one.

If I'd realised he was going to do that, I would've either just done it up myself by feel ("Unggghhh! I don't think this will go any tighterer...") or suggested he use a flat-bladed scrwedriver to punch it. Grrrrr...... and all that...

Well, that should work too! Not having one at all made this one a good choice for me. They don't need to be taken off often at all, but it's nice to be able to check the torque on them at will, and the use also depends on the number of VFR's owned and their mileages...

Oh, and just for fun, the last time I took the rear axle nut off, I put a dollop of blue locktite on the nut upon reassembly, torqued it to spec, staked the nut into the groove as per Honda, and then just for $hits and giggles, I took a felt marker and marked the axle, the nut and the washers behind the nut.

It just about freaked me out when I got to Colorado, and upon inspection, thinking that the nut had come loose :blink: :angry: :ph34r: , but what had really happened was that the washers behind the nut had rotated slightly so the marks were no longer in alignment.

Took me a second or two :pissed: :idea3: to realize that if the nut had moved, the stake would no longer be in the groove, which it was. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

To give a quick update, I received my new tool and have used it. It works well and fit the axle nut on the 4th and 6th gen perfectly(should fit the 3rd & 5th just as well!!). It's still on sale if anyone wants one. I received the tool 2 days after I ordered it, and it also has "46" laser etched on it in 3 places around the tool, to supplement the punched/engraved tool marking. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Harbor Freight has a 3/4" ratchet set w/ 17 sockets from 19mm to 50mm, a breaker bar and an extension in a metal case for $54.95. There are coupons in "Rider" and some other motorcycle publications for 20% off, so that brings the price to $43.96. BTW; it's a big, heavy sucker!!

I also bought a set of 3 1/4" to 1/2' to 3/4" adapters for approx $5 so I can use my 1/2" torque wrench w/ the 3/4" sockets when needed.

I know some folks do not like Harbor Freight tools, but for the number of times I use them, they work for me. They also now guarantee their hand tools for life.

Harbor Freight has a 3/4" ratchet set w/ 17 sockets from 19mm to 50mm, a breaker bar and an extension in a metal case for $54.95. There are coupons in "Rider" and some other motorcycle publications for 20% off, so that brings the price to $43.96. BTW; it's a big, heavy sucker!!

I also bought a set of 3 1/4" to 1/2' to 3/4" adapters for approx $5 so I can use my 1/2" torque wrench w/ the 3/4" sockets when needed.

I know some folks do not like Harbor Freight tools, but for the number of times I use them, they work for me. They also now guarantee their hand tools for life.

Got a link? I don't mind Harbor Freight tools, I own plenty of them. Their Pittsburgh line has had a lifetime warranty for years! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I started looking for one of these a couple weeks ago, needed to add one to my tool set for future axle bearing services... I found this one today: http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-5256-sk-hand-tool-34096.aspx

SK-34096.jpg

It's made by SK tools, and is currently on sale 42% off for $22.95. I got a couple other items from their clearance section and the shipping came to $8.95.

For reference, a 1&13/16" should also work.

two 46mm sockets on ebay $10.95 ea. BUY IT NOW! :fing02:

I saw those, but the shipping is $14.92, they are 3/4 drive, and 12 point instead of 6 point. I feel better using a 6 point socket on this particular part of the bike because the socket isn't able to fully grip the nut once it's seated.

Unless you're talking about a different one?

• Member Contributer

I saw those, but the shipping is $14.92, they are 3/4 drive, and 12 point instead of 6 point. I feel better using a 6 point socket on this particular part of the bike because the socket isn't able to fully grip the nut once it's seated.

Unless you're talking about a different one?

A) i should have checked the price of shipping

B) i thought the quality and configuration (12pt.)would not matter much on a tool almost never used

C) SK tools are my favorite over proto or snapon so i would have bought the SK at twice the ebay price!

D) THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR FIND!.............flyer. :fing02:

A) i should have checked the price of shipping

B) i thought the quality and configuration (12pt.)would not matter much on a tool almost never used

C) SK tools are my favorite over proto or snapon so i would have bought the SK at twice the ebay price!

D) THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR FIND!.............flyer. :fing02:

The 12 point would surely work, I just personally prefer to use 6 point sockets. And I should have said "engagement" with the nut; the cush drive hub is slightly recessed and the nut sits down inside it a bit. The SK name was definitely a selling point! :blink: You don't wanna know what Honda charges for it!! :fing02:

Actually one of those will come in handy big time if you ever want or have to swap out your rear brake rotor... at least on the 5th gen... can't remember bout the 6th gen right now... although I have removed both of them... think not on the 6th but definitely necessary on the 5th...

I never had any trouble with the 12 pointer engaging...

31012010312.jpg

• Member Contributer

Try www.harborfreight.com. I don't remember the SKU, I'll check in the garage tomorrow.

• 9 months later...

I bought this socket about a month ago online after searching HF and they didn't have one separate. It's in a set of impact sockets that was like $70. Maybe a decent buy since this one socket is so much, but my toolbox won't allow it

Archived