Question for those who have power outlet in steering head

swimmer

Question

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a used heated vest (BMW/Widder) and was planning on picking up a power plug from tightwad of the type that fits into the VFR steering head/upper triple clamp. My question to those that have this setup is what do you do with the cord running from your vest/jacket running to the socket? It seems like the on/off switch will be banging against/scratching the tank if its just allowed to dangle. Just curious as to what others have for a setup that keeps the chords tidy and not scratching the tank. I realize other vests may have a different chord set up but I may still be able to get some good ideas as to how to modify my chord.

TIA.

15 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I use a GPS/camera mount that fits around my gas fill cover/lid bolts......its like a mini-dashboard for me....my ipod goes on there and any excess cords I use a little velcro band or just black electrical tape, zip ties. etc to secure.

From there my powercord goes to a gerbings dual t-stat that is in a liitle case and hooks onto your belt with a clip.

You really dont need to do all this imo as cord would be fine just flying in the air...but my tank mount helps tidy things up a bit.

PS- You are in freakin Houston...what is it brrrrrrr.....60 degrees outside....its -5 here and my ears got frosted in 10 minutes out in a parking lot.

I am staying inside by fireplace all weekend.

I believe those of us that installed the powerlet in the steering stem are using it to power a GPS, iPod, radar detector or something else of the like that goes in the dash area. If all you're wanting is to power a jacket liner, IMHO you should just hook it up directly to the battery and run the cord out between the seat and the gas tank. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Tightwad sells Powerlet brand cords, they also make outlets for the rear cowl left side which is more appropriate for a vest application, even in a dual setup for 2up.

I am thinking this may be a better route for me. Thanks

• Member Contributer

It has come to mind that when I use my steering mount I always have a tankbag on. But then again I don't have electric gear (yet). I will watch this posting for more ideas.

• Member Contributer

Tightwad sells Powerlet brand cords, they also make outlets for the rear cowl left side which is more appropriate for a vest application, even in a dual setup for 2up.

I am thinking this may be a better route for me. Thanks

This is what I do also. I have two Powerlet outlets mounted in a dual bracket right below my left hip for my passenger and me to plug into.

• Member Contributer

Pics Please! :fing02:

Here's the dual bracket for the 5th Gen and the dual harness for the Powerlet sockets:

tn_gallery_12878_5047_6483.jpgmed_gallery_12878_5047_56371.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just a quick follow-up to say that I ended up getting the powerlet socket from tightwad that mounts to the rearset. The powerlet kit is very nice. Especially good for someone that might not have a fuse block set-up and the kit contains a fused connection to the battery, etc... Highly recommend it.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking to plug into my already connected battery tender lead. That would work wouldn't it?

Not knowing exactly what the tender leads look like I would still say probably. You might just need to modify one end or the other of how you connect it. You might find the powerlet kit superior and just want to use that. I don't see why you couldn't have both connected.

I connect mine on the right side in a Powerlet connector that is wires to an unswitched line on my fuse panel. This keeps cord length to a minimum.

Archived