How would an 86 VFR700 compare to my 2007?

gstanfield

• Member Contributer

Well, I've ben working on my '78 Honda CB400TII "scrambler conversion project" and in browsing for different parts I have been bit by the old bike bug. I found a pretty nice '86VFR700 in RWB that would look nice sitting beside my '07 RWB. The price is right and it got me to thinking. I could set up the '07 for more touring and do some mods to the '86 geared more towards performance/handling aspects. I would love to have a new bike for long trips and a classic (with modern updated handling) to ride the twisties and cruise around locally on.

So, the loaded question is this: How does the 700 compare to the newer bike in terms of performance? I think the older bike probably weighs a decent amount less and we're talking less than 100cc difference so??? Is it night and day or will the old bike hold it's own with the new bike under most conditions? What kind of horsepower does the older bike make and can it be modded to handle/perform like a newer bike?

Thanks for feeding the sickness,

George

• Member Contributer

So..Does anyone here know any specs on the 700? How about the same year range of 750's? Should I hold out for a 750 or is the difference marginal?

Anyone?

Thanks,

George

• Member Contributer

I owned a 86 and the difference between the bikes is substantial ,better wheels tires available , suspension ,brakes linked and fairing protection. Compare it to a mid 70's ujm and a sport bike of today or an old classic car nice for its day but we have moved on in technology . Good luck if you purchase this bike lots of good comments about mine anyway.

I have a 1983 750 nighthawk and a 2001 VFR. The older bike is heavy and has less performance than the new bikes by far and the brakes are not even close in comparison. The older bikes have a personality of there own but comparing them to new bikes is like comparing apples and oranges. The only thing that I do with the nighthawk now is take it out for a short trip to get it warmed up and circulate the fluids. The VFR is lighter has alot more power stops in half the distance and has better suspension than the nighthak so it is the bike that always gets taken when I leave town.

• Member Contributer

So..Does anyone here know any specs on the 700? How about the same year range of 750's? Should I hold out for a 750 or is the difference marginal?

Anyone?

Thanks,

George

The 86 750 has hp figures in the mid 80s but I have not seen any figures on the 700s. I have been told there is little difference. I have one of each but the 700 is still apart. I liked the feel of the 750 but as others have said, it is limited in its' performance due to tire selections. I'd say go for the 700 if you have found a nice one. And be sure and post the pics if you do!

Ernie

Well, I'm not sure if I can be much help, but I'll put up my experience: '86 700 vs '95 750 (neither stock though)

First off, I still haven't gotten my 700 to run just right so the engine feels really down on power compared to the new one. I suspect that they will feel much closer once I get it right.

The suspension, braking, and riding position is very different though. For the 700 (with a not great running engine and GSXR front end) I feel pretty high on top of the bike, and sort of top heavy. In turns it does ok, and was the one I learned to ride on, brakes are also good enough.

When I first got the 750 I was really impressed by the handling, and I feel much more in the bike instead of on top and not top heavy. Then when I put the 954 front (front was lowered about an inch with this), 929 rear shock (rear was raised slightly at the shock) I was again amazed at the handling, also felt like I had more power but it was probably because of the riding position. I feel it drops into turns very well and I'm much more comfortable leaning farther (which really isn't all that much) and flick it around. Brakes are incredible and very responsive, can stop with two fingers and then I remember its better to use four.

So I'd say you're probably better off with a newer bike (3rd or 4th gen) if you want the handling/performance, and I think there would be more options for you too. But if you really like the '86 for the coolness factor (I always get complements on my mine) then you can't go wrong, and maybe you can swap the rear as well and get some modern tires on it, though I can't say what the handling will feel like.

• Member Contributer

I had an '87 VFR700F2 years ago, ridden back from Seattle after the owner's '85 VF750F had a cam failure while on vacation.

It was a great bike back then, and I still think the original VFR sounds the best with it's 4-2-2 twin exhaust system. But I don't think I could own one today without putting on a modern front end and wheels.

Definetly will want to get some 41mm forks, look for a set off a 1997 VFR complete with triples and wheel.

Do the CBR600F rear wheel conversion and voila! Radial tires! A whole new bike, it'll feel like someone installed power steering on it.

Sound is unreal from the '86 with a pipe. Engine I found was much smoother than my '99 in terms of vibration.

Weight, about 505 LBS wet for the '86. Significantly more fo the '07.

Power for the 750s was 86hp back in the day, don't know what the 700s were rated at.

Well, I've ben working on my '78 Honda CB400TII "scrambler conversion project" and in browsing for different parts I have been bit by the old bike bug. I found a pretty nice '86VFR700 in RWB that would look nice sitting beside my '07 RWB. The price is right and it got me to thinking. I could set up the '07 for more touring and do some mods to the '86 geared more towards performance/handling aspects. I would love to have a new bike for long trips and a classic (with modern updated handling) to ride the twisties and cruise around locally on.

So, the loaded question is this: How does the 700 compare to the newer bike in terms of performance? I think the older bike probably weighs a decent amount less and we're talking less than 100cc difference so??? Is it night and day or will the old bike hold it's own with the new bike under most conditions? What kind of horsepower does the older bike make and can it be modded to handle/perform like a newer bike?

Thanks for feeding the sickness,

George

Not a high tech guy or very fast either for that matter, but I did ride an 85 700 on a 1000 mile round trip to Americade last June. New set of Conti-go tires and chain and sprockets and it was a most enjoyable ride. I do so miss it although the 07 rwb makes the pain a bit less intense.. I was concerned about the effects of ethanol on an older machine. Don't know if you'll get the modern handling you want but sure you will enjoy county hopping on it. Best wishes

Not a high tech guy or very fast either for that matter, but I did ride an 85 700 on a 1000 mile round trip to Americade last June. New set of Conti-go tires and chain and sprockets and it was a most enjoyable ride. I do so miss it although the 07 rwb makes the pain a bit less intense.. I was concerned about the effects of ethanol on an older machine. Don't know if you'll get the modern handling you want but sure you will enjoy county hopping on it. Best wishes

The '85 and '86 are totally different animals.

• Member Contributer

I might be of some assistance. :wheel:

gallery_13129_3657_783798.jpggallery_13129_3632_110920.jpg

DSC01891.JPG

Picture 002.jpg

That's an '87 700 which my brother has owned since '89. As you can see it's been slightly street fighter-ed out. The conversion was done in '93 after a pile up which left him unharmed thankfully and the bike under a brand new Cutlass. This is what came from a winter with nothing to do and a very creative mind. :fing02:

The wheel conversion was done along with a front end swap. It does have a full Sudco 4-1 system and has been re-jetted. The bike now has 90,000 on it with no major work.

It rips. In a straight line roll on it holds it's own. In the twisties it holds it's own.It has made an excellent two up bike seeings his other is an RC 51. Now I certainly don't mind seeing his chics derrière on top of the tiny 'lil seat but it's not an ideal two-upper. :unsure:

I owned an '86 750 and now own an '03. They are totally different bikes. For one, the '86 is a lot lighter, but as others had said, you're working with 24 year old technology; it is what it was. :wheel: I don't think I would hold out for the 750 if you've found a nice 700. While a little more rare, the 750 was only a few cc's more. There were other subtle differences (sand cast engine parts, the "750" near the VFR on the side decal, etc.) but nearly every other part on the thing is interchangable with the 700.

And let's not forget the most important thing: the coolness factor of owning the original and the "tribute" bike is off the charts! Not a day goes by I don't wish I had my '86 back to park next to my '03.

• Member Contributer

I owned an '86 750 and now own an '03. They are totally different bikes. For one, the '86 is a lot lighter, but as others had said, you're working with 24 year old technology; it is what it was. :wheel: I don't think I would hold out for the 750 if you've found a nice 700. While a little more rare, the 750 was only a few cc's more. There were other subtle differences (sand cast engine parts, the "750" near the VFR on the side decal, etc.) but nearly every other part on the thing is interchangable with the 700.

And let's not forget the most important thing: the coolness factor of owning the original and the "tribute" bike is off the charts! Not a day goes by I don't wish I had my '86 back to park next to my '03.

..........................I do believe there was a ....slight horsepower difference. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm still considering it, just gotta make it happen. I dug around enough to find some old cycle world tests and from what I found the new bike has 13 more horsepower at the rear wheel, the new bike weighs 68 lbs more and the 1/4 mile times arealmost identical based upon the reviews I found. One fo the reviews even listed the '86 model 750 as being a tad quicker than the new bike in a straight line test. I think changing the wheels on the older bike and getting modern brakes and rubber along with a set of modern forks will make it a fun bike to own. Should be good enough for my level of riding as I'm no pro, but I'm still very competent.

I'll be sure to post up some pics if I do end up with the new bike.

George

Good comments here. I have long admired the 86 RWB VFR and thought it would fit my values in a bike nicely. I have a 02 VFR and a pristine 85 700 Nighthawk S. I use them as you have suggested one for sport-touring and other a hot rod. Even though my VFR is by far the superior machine I derive more of the excitement I ride for from the old Nighthawk, I do love both for different reasons. I would like the 86 VFR for the reasons I have the Nighthawk S.

The 700 Nighthawk S was available from '84-'86 and like the 86 VFR was very advanced compared to recently earlier bikes. It shared the VFR front end with its nimble 16" front wheel. The 700 Nighthawk engine delivers 80 hp. The 86 VFR is slightly higher performance being water cooled. What I enjoy about the Nighthawk S is that it performs and handles well enough to keep up with modern sport bikes with a bit more adrenaline at the same speed. It has more of that guttural sensation of speed and sound that in laking in more refined bikes. Its 80hp is just enough so that I am using everything its got with out holding back. I am addicted to those high revs one rarely gets to on an over powered bike. Where on my VFR I could cruise relaxed all day in triple digits, I have to hold on tight on the older bike. It is more exciting yet competent, I find my more competent VFR to be less exiting.

So I would agree that the 86 VFR could be a good choice depending on you comfort and skill with older bikes. If you did find that you wanted more refinement in handling or power like your VFR, and some people do, I would suggest a later generation VFR, get what you want rather than heavily bastardizing this one. This bike is carefully engineered and mis-matching parts from other bikes introduces compromises. As you refine this bike you will loose the crude appeal and excitement it has. Unless you enjoy the tinkering and trial and error experimentation of modifying over riding the thing, for me, I would get what I want, maintain it well, and ride it.

• Member Contributer

I had an '86 VFR700. It is the reason that I'm back on a VFR after trying a few other bikes. I would would say that there is more in common between my '86 and my '01 than there is different. In fact I think that my old '86 rode more like my '01 than any other bike from 2001 that wasn't a VFR. The '86 has the VFR sound, the stable yet fairly flickable handling and the reliability. It also looks great today. Hell, if you found a good one you should grab it or one of us will. I would happily put an '86 back in the garage, even with the 16/18" wheel set up.

• 1 year later...

Interesting hearing the comments as I just got a 86 vfr700. I would have guessed that the newer bikes are lighter but I guessed wrong. At this point I am just trying to get it back to stock. Have only ridden it home, about 15 miles. Runs nice.

• Member Contributer

Not exactly 86 vs 2007, but in the Articles section I posted a 1996 Sport Rider article comparing the 86 (750) & 96 models. Might be interesting reading. It's in pdf format for download.

Archived