IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

24092009003.jpg

23092009.jpg

5th gen grab rails do fit. ^)

IMG_1178.jpg

For the assembly you will need:

-5th gen VFR (with or without tail/exhaust/tank)

-6th gen tail&exhaust (get the Whole tail. Every part can be mounted)

-6th gen tank (I think it will work also with 5th gen. Didn't try)

-A professional welder. You and your "+1" will sit on it.. do I have to add smth else?

-A professional CNC'er (for the same reason)

Step 1: The bracket.

Due to the difference in the construction, we'll need to cancel the two upper mounting holes and construct a bracket that will hold our new tail instead. Here's the sketch:

assem1.jpg

assem11.jpg

* remark* the distance between the two holes must be 38mm instead 40.. My bad.

The Material.

The Yield strength of a material must be approx. 90 kg/mm2, to ensure you won't feel your rear wheel too close..

The materials available are 43XX steels (4320, 4340). I used 416 stainless steel, after cementation to 90 kg/mm2.

No need to tell, that all the parts are Argon welded both sides.

24092009001.jpg

Step 2: The Spacers.

You can see that the 6th gen subframe's lower tubes are situated much wider then the original 5th gen. So, I placed the spacers between the tubes and the frame "ears". Dimensions: Outer diameter-25mm. Inner diameter-10mm. Length- 22mm. Each.

Choose any material you like.

24092009VFRD.jpg

Step 3: The Big Cut.

Yes, we're going to cut things!

First are the too long "legs" of the subframe, that we are going to cut in the middle.

post-15354-125915039199_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the sketch the "ear" is a bit inside the leg itself. It's very important to keep it so after we cut the leg. So, first remove the welding, then remove the ear from the tube, then cut it, then return the ears back, then weld. Use the long bolt from step 2 to ensure the ears are welded collinear to each other. I didn't do that..

The cut piece of the tube is 125mm long. But I leave these measurements to you.

It's better to cut less then more, cause you won't be able to bring in back.

Step 4: khmm..

All the stuff that was in the plastics of the old tail has to be moved.

Here's my R/R's new home:

IMG_1177.jpg

Edited by Frozen

Hey Frozen, thanks for posting this topic. May I suggest that you add your following posts to Post #1 by editing, instead of replying? It would make this much easier to read, as it's an interesting topic and many people will reply before you can finish all your updates. :biggrin: Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Added some new content.

Can someone help me with the seat lock? Where do I place it?

I have both 5th and 6th gen locks, but I have no idea where to put it!

On the 6th gen, it goes near the battery, at the very front of the little black left side filler piece. You have the right sidee filler in place in one of your pics, do you have the left as well? There's an upside down U-shape cutout in it, that's where the lock goes.

Yeah, I know..I had to cut this part of that black plastic.. you may see it on the last picture with the cable sticking out of it..

Any other suggestions? Someone told me to put it between the exhausts, where the license plate goes. But, I think it's gonna be too hot to open my seat after ride.. no?

Edited by Frozen

• 1 year later...
Guest Harbourone

Yeah, I know..I had to cut this part of that black plastic.. you may see it on the last picture with the cable sticking out of it..

Any other suggestions? Someone told me to put it between the exhausts, where the license plate goes. But, I think it's gonna be too hot to open my seat after ride.. no?

How did the exhaust match up?

• Member Contributer

It won't be too hot if it isn't touching exhaust pipes and it won't. Any distance between the lock and the pipe has air moving and will not be hot at all.

Love your work, BTW!

:fing02:

• 3 months later...

Hi guys! There's been nearly a year since I've been to VFRD last time.

there been some other modifications since then:

1. R1 R/R installed in the front of the bike on the coil #1 fittings

2. peg raisers of my own stolen design. look great!

3. My exhaust pipes got rust..

4. My rear shock nearly passed away.

No issues with the tail since the installation!

etc, etc...

Some pics 2 years after..IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0954.jpgIMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

I've used 7075 Al as a material, as there are some sharp corners.. but you can use steel as well.. pegriser-1.jpg

BTW, does anyone plans to come to Israel in the next few months?

I'm looking on this pic for a year or so :). I guess I'll bring 'em eventually.

BTW, I'm planning to get rid of the 6th gen cans, and install some compact exhaust. Maybe from Kawa Versys, or a 2008 CBR1000RR..

Is the 929/954 rear shock still the best swap option? I won't ever find it in the Holy Land for around 50$, as they are sold on fleabay, so I'm looking for someone that's going to visit some Betlehem and stuff :)

BTW-2, anyone already thought about swapping the front end with one of the new bikes keeping the CBS/ABS? I thought CB1000R 2011 would be a good donor..

• 3 years later...

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

24092009003.jpg

23092009.jpg

5th gen grab rails do fit. ^)

IMG_1178.jpg

For the assembly you will need:

-5th gen VFR (with or without tail/exhaust/tank)

-6th gen tail&exhaust (get the Whole tail. Every part can be mounted)

-6th gen tank (I think it will work also with 5th gen. Didn't try)

-A professional welder. You and your "+1" will sit on it.. do I have to add smth else?

-A professional CNC'er (for the same reason)

Step 1: The bracket.

Due to the difference in the construction, we'll need to cancel the two upper mounting holes and construct a bracket that will hold our new tail instead. Here's the sketch:

assem1.jpg

assem11.jpg

* remark* the distance between the two holes must be 38mm instead 40.. My bad.

The Material.

The Yield strength of a material must be approx. 90 kg/mm2, to ensure you won't feel your rear wheel too close..

The materials available are 43XX steels (4320, 4340). I used 416 stainless steel, after cementation to 90 kg/mm2.

No need to tell, that all the parts are Argon welded both sides.

24092009001.jpg

Step 2: The Spacers.

You can see that the 6th gen subframe's lower tubes are situated much wider then the original 5th gen. So, I placed the spacers between the tubes and the frame "ears". Dimensions: Outer diameter-25mm. Inner diameter-10mm. Length- 22mm. Each.

Choose any material you like.

24092009VFRD.jpg

Step 3: The Big Cut.

Yes, we're going to cut things!

First are the too long "legs" of the subframe, that we are going to cut in the middle.

attachicon.gifscetchleg.jpg

As you can see in the sketch the "ear" is a bit inside the leg itself. It's very important to keep it so after we cut the leg. So, first remove the welding, then remove the ear from the tube, then cut it, then return the ears back, then weld. Use the long bolt from step 2 to ensure the ears are welded collinear to each other. I didn't do that..

The cut piece of the tube is 125mm long. But I leave these measurements to you.

It's better to cut less then more, cause you won't be able to bring in back.

Step 4: khmm..

All the stuff that was in the plastics of the old tail has to be moved.

Here's my R/R's new home:

IMG_1177.jpg

Did you make those sliders or purchase them? Great looking bike