Front and Rear at Race Tech

BonusVFR

• Member Contributer

Just did my front and rear suspension with RaceTech on the VFR. Did the work on the day the 7th gen was introduced..... :goofy:

I finally pulled the trigger after my Canada trip when I really felt the VFR moving around a too much...especially with bumps on the sweepers. Maybe a little more gear than I needed........ya think!

2283590910099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I was able to get a 25% off on both labor and parts as I had attended a Racetech workshop at a ST get together near the Sierras. I used the RaceTech springs from a VFR group buy ...that were hanging around in the garage. Drove up from San Diego and finished up be 3pm.

2732215110099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Really tightens things up.

2506472160099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Ready for the winter riding season in San Diego.

2430265540099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The Bike is now HS/SBspeed compatible.

• Member Contributer

Strange... apart from the yellow decals on the fork tubes, it doesn't look any different... :biggrin:

The decals were extra and actually reduce the unsprung weight using stealth tech. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Congrats!

Amazing how good a VFR feels with decent suspenders on them! :biggrin:

What all did you end up doing and what pieces were used?

BR

I will have to break out my list as it is quite long but............ I hate it when my wife just files important stuff instead of leaving it on the desk forever where I could have found it....maybe :ohmy:

Basically this is what I did

Front:

Did both Gold Valves kits and new springs (they talked me into exchanging my unused .90 for .95s springs - no cost) - seals & oil etc.

Rear Shock:

Configured/Rebuilt the shock with new spring (same equivalent rating as front - forget the KG) plus Goldvalve kit. Shock is now rebuildable.

Install, settings, setup & SAG were done by an Aussie at the SoCal Race Tech HQ............Unemployed Matt Madlin suspension guru no doubt........

2421887610099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Interesting enough while I was at the ST event, I also won a door prize of a RaceTech oil and seal change too. This really struck home as I had blown a front fork seal on the way up to the weekend on my Wing..............suffering the first mechanical ever on tour. :rolleyes: Thank God for my Zumo Honda Dealers POI which steered me to a repair. Have I told you about my Zumo?? :fing02:

Race Tech says fork oil should last about 30K (they are in business to sell stuff after all) which is exactly how long my fork seals lasted on the GL. Mind you I was moving on the Wing on a very rough, pot holed back county road and braking hard into the corners. Watch out for Yokohl Drive by the way ...my third or fourth time on it...drat! It gets very broken/patched after a bit while running north from RT190 out of Springville/Southern Sierras on the West side.

Install, settings, setup & SAG were done by an Aussie at the SoCal Race Tech HQ............Unemployed Matt Madlin suspension guru no doubt........

2421887610099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

I can't decide which I find more interesting in this pic... the neat portable motorcycle gantry, or the fact that there's a UM motorcycle in the Race Tech shop getting work done... ? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I can't decide which I find more interesting in this pic... the neat portable motorcycle gantry, or the fact that there's a UM motorcycle in the Race Tech shop getting work done... ? :biggrin:

The gantry you speak of it actually made to take bikes out of crates. We had one at the dealership I work at and it work very well. I bet it would work great for the Race Tech shop since it can suspend both ends of the bike at one time. Here's a link.

The gantry you speak of it actually made to take bikes out of crates. We had one at the dealership I work at and it work very well. I bet it would work great for the Race Tech shop since it can suspend both ends of the bike at one time. Here's a link.

Thanks for the link, got some good ideas for new equipment to make! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Congrats!

Amazing how good a VFR feels with decent suspenders on them! :biggrin:

BR

I will have to break out my list as it is quite long but............ I hate it when my wife just files important stuff instead of leaving it on the desk forever where I could have found it....maybe :happy:

Lucky. Mine just throws it away.

Looks sweet. :wub:

• Member Contributer

They certainly were able to tear into my bike quickly and work on both ends. Funny did not see a lot of exotic bikes there but not sure how much work they actually do at the shop. Apparently according to the guy who gave us the suspension workshop RaceTech is also doing a ton of business upgrading ancient suspensions on vintage/older bikes. Regardless I have been wanting to do my suspension for years and...............I should be good till I get the 7th gen something.

• Member Contributer

Congrats!

Amazing how good a VFR feels with decent suspenders on them! :wub:

BR

I will have to break out my list as it is quite long but............ I hate it when my wife just files important stuff instead of leaving it on the desk forever where I could have found it....maybe :happy:

Lucky. Mine just throws it away.

Looks sweet. :happy:

She is organized :fing02: lets me :biggrin: more.

Archived