Wouldn't It Be Safer If The Brake Lights Came On During Hard Engine Braking?

coderighter

• Member Contributer
Most cage drivers behind me keep their distance, even more distance than when they are behind another cage (maybe they think I'll go all ape-shit on them). I do flash my brakes, though, just to give them a heads up.

My brake lights flash five times, then stay steady on, so if I just blip them, they only flash. When stopped, I keep a constant eye on my side view mirrors. If a vehilcle is approaching, I apply my brakes to get their attention. So far, this has worked well. Tomorrow may be a different story, though!

I do believe your idea has merit, though.

Where did you get the flasher? Can you adjust the number of pre-flashes?

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JustinVFR

I realize that this thread is quite old, but I'd like to chime in with hopes of educating anyone new that may see this forum. I'll just go with Keith Code's words of wisdom in saying that there is never really a time where engine braking is necessary. As he says, brake pads are cheap to replace, both in time and money. Engines are not. Use your brakes. Check out 'Twist Of The Wrist', very informative and a must-have for every rider.

• Member Contributer

I realize that this thread is quite old, but I'd like to chime in with hopes of educating anyone new that may see this forum. I'll just go with Keith Code's words of wisdom in saying that there is never really a time where engine braking is necessary. As he says, brake pads are cheap to replace, both in time and money. Engines are not. Use your brakes. Check out 'Twist Of The Wrist', very informative and a must-have for every rider.

What my friend Kieth Code will clarify is first you have to learn brake less cornering before you can get up

to speed enough to use your brakes on the track...

The vfr I find , does not have a huge differnce between normal tail light illumination and Brake light illumination, its there, its just not Huge. So Flashing before any braking is very wise to do. BUt Im a Manual guy, I know exactly how I want to flash, when I want to flash, and know how traffic is behaving behind me.

As to the question, if you want to take the time to do a vacume switch, it wouldnt be a bad idea, for me not worth the time.

• 5 months later...