Bridgestone Bt-016

motogpfan

• Member Contributer

bt016r.jpg

I put the new bridestone rear on yesterday morning and decided a test ride to Asheville NC would give me an idea on how this tire would match up to the Michelin PP2ct's.The grip level in the dry is a little bite better,especially at the edge due to the fact there is no groves in the tread like the michelin.The fact your on a soild patch of rubber on the edge is cool.

The reason for the review is the wet grip is what set this tire apart from the PP2ct.It rained in Asheville on the return home I started on Hwy.151 which is like the Gap many tight swtich backs,then the blue ridge parkway high speed turns finally Hwy. 276 to Brevard.

With the lack of many groves what got me is was the grip in the wet.The michelin was not even close to the feel of the bridestone what a surprise!!!

Time will tell as far as wear but @130 rear and 95 front I'm sold.These prices are low,(my guess)is due to it's a intro as a new tire and marketing to get people try them out.If they last as well as the PP then it's a heck of cheaper then 180 for a PR2.

Like they say rubber is cheaper then plaster. :fing02:

Regards,

Mike

I just mounted a set of the 016 bridgstone tires a couple of days ago but only have about 40 miles on them so time will tell how they are. I purchased the front and rear for 189.00 for the set at a cycle gear sale.

• 1 year later...

I just mounted a set of the 016 bridgstone tires a couple of days ago but only have about 40 miles on them so time will tell how they are. I purchased the front and rear for 189.00 for the set at a cycle gear sale.

you guys need to update? iwas wondering how close the ppower rear and bt16 are on life for those whoved ridden both

• 2 weeks later...

you guys need to update? iwas wondering how close the ppower rear and bt16 are on life for those whoved ridden both

I have a set of these on my '97 CBR. I have been very impressed with them in the rain, as well as the occasional track day. I would probably get 6-7K out of them. Idk, if the added weight from the VFR would decrease the life of the tires though.

• Member Contributer

I had a set of BT-016's on my Superhawk, and while it's not a bad tire at all, they didn't last all that long, and the wear was uneven due to the multi-compound construction.

I keep coming back to Pilot Powers - I love the way they steer, grip and just the way they feel when you drop into a corner and lay it over on the side of the tire. I'm running them on all my bikes now and I hope they never stop making them. And they wear pretty good too. JMO :blush:

I'm working on the last of a set of 016's at about 7600 miles, and purchased them at that same CG sale. They have been absolutely terrific, wet, dry, at ridiculous lean angles (cloverleafs), or straight up cruising. A very confidence inspiring tire! Prior to these I came from a set of PP's which had to be changed out at about 3800 miles. That is, what, half the life? While the PP's have been the gold standard in sporting rubber for a number of years, and they're still great tires, IMHO they have been superseded by the multi-compound 016's as the new gold standard of sporting street tires which can double as either track day tires, or very capable ST tires due to their increased longevity. And yet, they can be found for a very reasonable price. What's not to like?

I had a set of BT-016's on my Superhawk, and while it's not a bad tire at all, they didn't last all that long, and the wear was uneven due to the multi-compound construction.

Solved that problem with wearing BT-021 at the rear. 5k miles this summer so far and it's been great. Haven't noticed any uneven wear. What pressure do you run?

• Member Contributer

just to add fuel to the fire...

Front BT016, maybe 2k miles

Rear BT016, 2300ish.

Many at T-mac know how bad the BTs looked after our saturday runs. And yes, i did wear out the front faster then the rear. Ended up putting one of my BT003 front take offs on to finish off the rear. Dry grip was good. The front end felt vague to me in the wet. Turn in reminded me of qualifiers, not as quick as the power.

Y M M Will V

So that is Powers, Power 2ct, Qualifiers, Roads (BLAH), BT016, BT020, Rosso, and M3 i have ran. The reason for so much switching has been for price. With powers being <180 shipped to the house, guess what went on the bike.

Powers.... 4-5k a set. Both ran at the same pressures.

Front BT016

IMG_0083.jpg

Rear BT016

IMG_0229.jpg

Rear had a "little" bit left on it, but a 1200-1800 mile trip next week meant it had to come off now. And by the rate it was going, i'd say i might have had another 2-300 miles...max!

• Member Contributer

I have to agree with Kevin on the life span. I have run two sets of 16's when down in the mountains and the front was done in the low 2000's mark - the rear still had life left but perhaps not that much. I

love the tire - the stick and I have also run through a set at the track where they worked fine. As o the rain - well I am mostly a fair weather rider and slow down a fair bit in the rain but for what I did run they were fine.

So if they are cheap I will run them - if they are pricey maybe something else - but usually they are cheap. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Best tire I have ridden so far is the newest sport tire from Pirelli........the Corsa Rosso. They replace the Corsa III and have a dual compound rear with a single compound front. These are not to be confused with the standard "Rosso" which have been on the market for some time now.

Only problem is they are a bit pricey. I picked up a set for 295 bucks.

I'm on my second set of 016's. The front still looked pretty good, but does have some wear. The rear was pretty much shot on the left side after ~500 miles. The right is also worn heavily, although not quite to the wear bars. Time to take them off the track bike and finish their life on the street. :cheerleader:

I liked the Corsa III's, I might have to try the new Corsa Rosso's. I was never very fond of the BT16 tires, I still prefer the Pilot power 2ct

• Member Contributer

I had the 16's stock on my CBR1000RR when I got it last Oct. they only lasted me about 2500 miles, and that was while I was taking it very easy learning how to ride it.

I liked the feel of the Power 2CT's MUCH better. (then again this is my track bike now, and as such I had to switch to the 003's)

I thought tread life was about the same, but For a heavier bike like the VFR I like the 16's a little better as they do not deform as much upon braking as the 2ct's due.

• 5 months later...

I have a 016 front 021 rear combo awable for cheap awable, but I guess its not a wise set as if what I read here the front will wear out way sooner than the rear.....even if its a 016 rear.

• Member Contributer

Modern sport tires have come a long way in the past 10 years and the performance is amazing. Just about any of the major brands are really impressive for the amount of grip they can provide. Some have different handling charactaristics and wear rates but all are very good.

Like Kevin i usually just buy whichever I can get the best deal on since they all wear out pretty quick. The Dunlop Q2 and the Pirelli Rosso Corsa have been my favorites as far as outright performance, but I currently have 2CT's on the VFR since they were 199 bucks shipped for a set.

Archived