When To Buy A Power Commander Iii Usb

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

Is it true that a lot of the PC3 units are the same, except for the maps pre-loaded? What about the connectors?

Ironically, my bike VFR800FiY ('02) came with a PCII, but I apparently need a PC3 for use with the A&A (Torocharger) kit that is hopefully on its way to me now. There are few VFR PC3s on ePay, but plenty for other bikes--some even for Hondas, which might have the same connectors as the VFR. Spending $150 is a lot better than spending $275 on a new one, if it's not necessary... +1.gif

Failing that, is $275 (delivered) about the lowest price anyone has seen recently? (from More Power Racing in WA)

Cheers,

15 answers to this question

If you end up buying new, get the PCV instead of the PCIII, basically the same price and offers you the chance to add AutoTune at a later date!

On used, I would think you would need a VFR800 vtec model PCIII to get the right connectors and harness length, blah, blah, blah. I here 02-09 are all the same unit with different mapping. :ph34r:

PS congrats on buying the ToroCharger.

• Member Contributer
Any model that ends in "-411" (most, but not all, recent Honda) will work. The first 3 numbers are the loaded map group. You'll just need to load the right map and get the resistors at Radio Shack or Frys. Just search Feabay for "auction only" "Honda PCIII" then check your finds against the Dynojet site to see if the part number is _ _ _ -411.

Great, if true, because a quick look at the catalog shows that ALL pre-2009 PCIIIs (except for all Harleys and some BMWs) have part numbers ending in "-411"! I'll see what comes up on ePay under "Honda", as that would be the most likely to have the right connectors, methinks...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
Any model that ends in "-411" (most, but not all, recent Honda) will work. The first 3 numbers are the loaded map group. You'll just need to load the right map and get the resistors at Radio Shack or Frys. Just search Feabay for "auction only" "Honda PCIII" then check your finds against the Dynojet site to see if the part number is _ _ _ -411.

Great, if true, because a quick look at the catalog shows that ALL pre-2009 PCIIIs (except for all Harleys and some BMWs) have part numbers ending in "-411"! I'll see what comes up on ePay under "Honda", as that would be the most likely to have the right connectors, methinks...

Ciao,

Humm.... You seem to be correct. About a year ago when I got my PCIII (used), it was listed for '02-'05 (I have a '06). I called Dynojet to make sure it would work and he said "let me look and see if they are both 411 boxes." He looked it up and said "yup, no problem, just load the correct map". It did work, just fine. However, like you, I find it hard to believe that throttle body wiring harness's are that universal. You can find the throttle body connector by raising the tank and looking on the right side. It's a grey round connector about the size of a half dollar. It contains the injector controls, TPS and I believe the intake temp. The PCIII connects inline with this connector. This connector must match what ever you get. If you find out anything cool, let us know.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, it is NOT true. :angry:

I bought a VTEC -411 from a member here (thanks--not your fault!) because it was available and was the right price, but after getting it in my hands it is clear that a VTEC PCIII will NOT work on an 800Fi, due to the connectors being different, and the wires not even being the same colours (so no swappy swappy). Both Power Commander units I have (an older PC-II that came with the bike and the VTEC PC-III) use ten wires from the ECU, but on the VTEC unit four or five of those wires are solid black, whilst only one of the wires on the PC-II unit are black. It may still be possible to make it work, but not without some serious effort and diagnostics that I simply don't have time for.

In trying to be helpful, we have all passed on information that has turned out to be false (I know I have...), but please, guys, try to avoid speculation on things like this. For me, the money isn't a big issue, but the time I'm going to lose sourcing a PC-III for my bike could mean I won't be able to get the Torocharger installed before I have to back to the UK.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, it is NOT true. :angry:

I bought a VTEC -411 from a member here (thanks--not your fault!) because it was available and was the right price, but after getting it in my hands it is clear that a VTEC PCIII will NOT work on an 800Fi, due to the connectors being different, and the wires not even being the same colours (so no swappy swappy). Both Power Commander units I have (an older PC-II that came with the bike and the VTEC PC-III) use ten wires from the ECU, but on the VTEC unit four or five of those wires are solid black, whilst only one of the wires on the PC-II unit are black. It may still be possible to make it work, but not without some serious effort and diagnostics that I simply don't have time for.

In trying to be helpful, we have all passed on information that has turned out to be false (I know I have...), but please, guys, try to avoid speculation on things like this. For me, the money isn't a big issue, but the time I'm going to lose sourcing a PC-III for my bike could mean I won't be able to get the Torocharger installed before I have to back to the UK.

Ciao,

Oh snap! I passed on bad info... :blush: I'm going to edit my posts... :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, it is NOT true. :huh:

Ciao,

Oh snap! I passed on bad info... :beer: I'm going to edit my posts... :cool:

Ah, um, maybe not so fast... :cool:

Maybe I should have said, "unfortunately, it is NOT true...as far as my pitiful ignorance is concerned, which includes an apparent inability to RTFM!!

To set the record straight, I STILL don't know if it is true, because although I have discovered that there is a set of the correct connectors on my fifth-gen bike, I managed to re-sell the 6th-gen Power Commander before I figured this out. My confusion came from the fact that the PC-II on the bike now connects in a different place than the PC-III USB. The former plugs into the bike's ECU, whilst the latter plugs into the middle of the bike's wiring harness, under the left-side fairing sort of under the tank. When I removed all of the bike's fairings last night in preparation for the A&A supercharger installation I found the second set of connectors (which appear to be the same as on the PC-III USB unit I had dutifully sent to it's new owner yesterday afternoon!). Then I went onto the PowerCommander Web site and downloaded the Y2k VFR PC-III installation instructions, which show the bloody thing plugged into those connectors, rather than the ECU connectors... So, given that the correct connectors are indeed there, I imagine that the "rumors" about all -411 PC-IIIs being the same are fairly likely to be true.

Oh, well. :dry:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, it is NOT true. :goofy:

Ciao,

Oh snap! I passed on bad info... :blush: I'm going to edit my posts... :cool:

Ah, um, maybe not so fast... :blush:

Maybe I should have said, "unfortunately, it is NOT true...as far as my pitiful ignorance is concerned, which includes an apparent inability to RTFM!!

To set the record straight, I STILL don't know if it is true, because although I have discovered that there is a set of the correct connectors on my fifth-gen bike, I managed to re-sell the 6th-gen Power Commander before I figured this out. My confusion came from the fact that the PC-II on the bike now connects in a different place than the PC-III USB. The former plugs into the bike's ECU, whilst the latter plugs into the middle of the bike's wiring harness, under the left-side fairing sort of under the tank. When I removed all of the bike's fairings last night in preparation for the A&A supercharger installation I found the second set of connectors (which appear to be the same as on the PC-III USB unit I had dutifully sent to it's new owner yesterday afternoon!). Then I went onto the PowerCommander Web site and downloaded the Y2k VFR PC-III installation instructions, which show the bloody thing plugged into those connectors, rather than the ECU connectors... So, given that the correct connectors are indeed there, I imagine that the "rumors" about all -411 PC-IIIs being the same are fairly likely to be true.

Oh, well. :cool:

Ciao,

Oy, now I'm really confused. It's true, it's not true, it may still be true... :happy: I need a beer. :beer:

• Member Contributer
Oy, now I'm really confused. It's true, it's not true, it may still be true... :happy: I need a beer. :goofy:

Beer is always useful in situations like this!

1. I will never have first-hand knowledge about this because I sold the VTEC PC-III.

2. Given that the proper connectors are there, I think the "rumor" that it would have fit my pre-VTEC bike is likely true, however.

3. I've purchased a PC-III made specifically for my bike, so I am now somewhat lighter of wallet, but I don't expect I will have to worry about this issue ever again!

Ciao,

Well I'm going to jump in and put forth the info I got today.

I called someone that has an interest in selling me the correct pcIII for my VFR.

He did not have one for a 5th gen on hand, but said that he has one for the 02-08 VFR's.

According to him that model and the correct model for my 01 use the same connectors and the vtec unit could be reloaded with maps for non-vtec vfr.

do not go by the -411 as bikes like the cbr's are also -411's but use totally different connectors (they have plugs on the harness for the injectors and such).

I'm going to call Dynojet tomorrow to confirm this info, cause if it is correct, he has one on his shelf that he would love to sell at just a bit over cost to help reduce some stagnant inventory.

Okay it took me longer than I wanted to get thru to Dynojet (not their fault, mine mostly).

But I finally got and answer yesterday.

The vtec model pcIII usb will work on the earlier 5th generation VFR's as they have the same harness. It's just a matter of downloading the correct maps to the bike.

Or let me put it another way

Dyno-jet lists the model 106-411 unit for the 98-01 VFRs and the 126-411 for the 2002-2008 VFRs.

either will work on the other mode bike but will need the correct maps downloaded.

So now for a side project, I'm off searching for a dirt cheap PCIIIusb for a VFR.

• Member Contributer
Okay it took me longer than I wanted to get thru to Dynojet (not their fault, mine mostly).

The vtec model pcIII usb will work on the earlier 5th generation VFR's as they have the same harness. It's just a matter of downloading the correct maps to the bike.

Dyno-jet lists the model 106-411 unit for the 98-01 VFRs and the 126-411 for the 2002-2008 VFRs.

either will work on the other mode bike but will need the correct maps downloaded.

So now for a side project, I'm off searching for a dirt cheap PCIIIusb for a VFR.

So...how about the VTEC PowerCommander-V? [G,D&R]

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

Power Commander models as follows.

'98-'99 #101-411 PCIII USB

'00-'01 #106-411 PCIII USB

'02-'05 #111-411 PCIII USB

'06-'08 #126-411 PCIII USB

'09 #10-005 PCV

I don't know about the 5th gen models, but I do know for a fact the the bottom models three are interchangeable. I had about 2000 miles on my '06 with a 111-411 ('02-'05) before upgrading to the PCV ('09), which I now have 4000, glorious miles on.

If, as stated above, the 106-411 and 126-411 are interchangeable then I would assume they all are.

Ciao,

Power Commander models as follows.

'98-'99 #101-411 PCIII USB

'00-'01 #106-411 PCIII USB

'02-'05 #111-411 PCIII USB

'06-'08 #126-411 PCIII USB

'09 #10-005 PCV

I don't know about the 5th gen models, but I do know for a fact the the bottom models three are interchangeable. I had about 2000 miles on my '06 with a 111-411 ('02-'05) before upgrading to the PCV ('09), which I now have 4000, glorious miles on.

If, as stated above, the 106-411 and 126-411 are interchangeable then I would assume they all are.

Well, I'd love to see a PC-V work on a 5th gen, as several of its features would make the setup I'm going to need that much cheaper.

I won't need the multi hub or the map switch, or even a couple of other bits.

I wonder why DynoJet is so reluctant to admit that the PC-V is so backwards compatible (assuming it is).

Is anyone out there already using a PC-V on a 5th gen???

Archived