18 Tooth Front Sprocket On 99vfr

banderso

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi,

Anybody have a 18/43 combo on thier VFR?.

Currently I have a 17/45, but am going to change.

I do not like the geared down characteristics.

I am in North GA, and run all the curvy roads up here and into TN/NC.

Seems like I need a little more 1st gear...

thanks

bill

7 answers to this question

I would go just the opposite way and run a 16t front, then you would be in 2nd gear at a lower rpm instead of 1st gear at a higher rpm in those same turns! :cool:

The tighter and twister, the better lower gearing works(higher numerical ratio). :biggrin: I live in the twisties and did the 1-dn front 60,000 miles ago and love it!

If you only did hwy riding then I would consider the 18t front. :angry:

• Member Contributer

Thanks BR.

Seems like first ends up only being a gear to use to get going, then quickly into second.

The VFR has a wide ratio gearbox compared to the GSXR's I have had. (my perception, have not looked at the numbers...)

bill

Bill, 15/16/17 are the usual choices for the front (15 is a VTR1000 sprocket, 16 is stock on 3rd/4th Gen, 17 is stock on all the 800s). I haven't heard of anyone using an 18.

I agree with BR, a 16/45 combo might work for you (and is a cheap and easy change to make). The VFR gearbox is never going to come close to a GSX-R box for feel or outright performance, but the motor is very flexible and can overcome most of the deficiencies of the box.

• Member Contributer
Bill, 15/16/17 are the usual choices for the front (15 is a VTR1000 sprocket, 16 is stock on 3rd/4th Gen, 17 is stock on all the 800s). I haven't heard of anyone using an 18.

I agree with BR, a 16/45 combo might work for you (and is a cheap and easy change to make). The VFR gearbox is never going to come close to a GSX-R box for feel or outright performance, but the motor is very flexible and can overcome most of the deficiencies of the box.

Phantom, I thought the 2002- on VFR's had a 16 tooth front standard as compared to the 17 tooth on the 5th gen 800's....

Either way Banderso, you could easily try going back to 43 on the rear without having to purchase a new chain and if it suits you buy new sprockets and chain after riding it for a while. It would probably not be possible to go up one tooth on the front with the rear already up two.

ps, I love my +2 rear sprocket set up.

Oops I think you're right CC. I agree that with a 45T on the back, an 18 front might cause clearance problems, as well as requiring a longer chain.

Stock front and +2 on the back is definitely the best set-up :blush:

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys,

I have purchased the stock setup to compare.

**at least I will have the options to play**

17/45 2.647

17/44 2.588

17/43 2.529

18/45 2.500

18/44 2.444

18/43 2.388

Archived