Rt 940 In Mt Pocono, Pa.... Beware

5thGenJim

• Member Contributer

So I'm heading home from Gouldsboro, PA and run down 611 to 940 and across to I-380... and after you pass the shops (WalMart,etc.) the intersection starts to look like someone lobbed mortars on it... I hit the pothole patch doing around 40 mph, one handed. Nice little surprise... The bars kinda racked back and forth a bit through them - was very unpleasant.

My question is how can I tell if I did any damage? Maybe it's just the paranoia in me, but the front end doesn't feel "right" since... visual inspection, it looks okay. But, I'm wondering if I screwed up the rim or bent a tube or something.

If need be, just tell me I'm a dumbass and that nothing is wrong - it's all in my head. I'd be okay with that. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
So I'm heading home from Gouldsboro, PA and run down 611 to 940 and across to I-380... and after you pass the shops (WalMart,etc.) the intersection starts to look like someone lobbed mortars on it... I hit the pothole patch doing around 40 mph, one handed. Nice little surprise... The bars kinda racked back and forth a bit through them - was very unpleasant.

My question is how can I tell if I did any damage? Maybe it's just the paranoia in me, but the front end doesn't feel "right" since... visual inspection, it looks okay. But, I'm wondering if I screwed up the rim or bent a tube or something.

If need be, just tell me I'm a dumbass and that nothing is wrong - it's all in my head. I'd be okay with that. :laugh:

Man,I just ...no way can .....You asked for it. :beer:

OK you're a dumb ass. I'll give ya' $1000.00 for it as is right now.

No bends or bangs.............It's in your head. But just for more fun what doesn't feel right?

• Member Contributer

If need be, just tell me I'm a dumbass and that nothing is wrong - it's all in my head. I'd be okay with that. :laugh:

My bet is it's in your head. That being said, I did bend my front wheel and bust my linkage on a pothole in NYC on my 2000. :beer:

• Member Contributer

If need be, just tell me I'm a dumbass and that nothing is wrong - it's all in my head. I'd be okay with that. :goofy:

Man,I just ...no way can .....You asked for it. :biggrin:

OK you're a dumb ass. I'll give ya' $1000.00 for it as is right now.

No bends or bangs.............It's in your head. But just for more fun what doesn't feel right?

Turning at slower speed feels a little harder; a bit of vibration in the 50 - 80 mph range... again, probably in my head (is there such a thing as a motorcycle hypocondriac??). Telling you, I don't think I bottomed the forks out, but it was pretty jarring. :blink:

You know the spot I'm talking about, right?

• Member Contributer
I bent a front PM wheel once on Pennsylvania ave. Does that count?

Oh yea.................dumbass. :ph34r:

Knew I could count on you guys. :cool:

• Member Contributer
Turning at slower speed feels a little harder; a bit of vibration in the 50 - 80 mph range... again, probably in my head (is there such a thing as a motorcycle hypocondriac??). Telling you, I don't think I bottomed the forks out, but it was pretty jarring. :beer:

Turning at slower speed......................what the hell is that.What is that.

Double check your rims for a flat spot. Give the tires a good look.It's probably in your head. Did you have the front apart at all yet?

• Member Contributer
Turning at slower speed feels a little harder; a bit of vibration in the 50 - 80 mph range... again, probably in my head (is there such a thing as a motorcycle hypocondriac??). Telling you, I don't think I bottomed the forks out, but it was pretty jarring. :blink:

Turning at slower speed......................what the hell is that.What is that.

Double check your rims for a flat spot. Give the tires a good look.It's probably in your head. Did you have the front apart at all yet?

Nope, haven't pulled it apart yet except to put the front tire on last month. Will take another look to see - but yeah, if no rim or tire damage, it's likely just an "operator head space and timing" issue.

• Member Contributer

IMO.....pull it apart again,double check everything reassemble.Then empty out your left pocket and double tie your right shoe.You should be good to go.

IMO.....pull it apart again,double check everything reassemble.Then empty out your left pocket and double tie your right shoe.You should be good to go.

+1, and :laugh: :laugh: :blink:

• Member Contributer
Then empty out your left pocket

pretty sure his wife's finance officer's aready done that for him

double tie your right shoe.You should be good to go

he'd never get that sucker off again.

:laugh: :laugh:

• Member Contributer

It is possible that something got knocked out of alignment. (On the bike or in your head) Been there, done that.

To solve both issues, loosen up the upper and lower triple bolts holding the forks, wiggle the whole thing around a bit and tighten them back. Make sure that you measure the fork height in the top triple first.

This WILL solve your problems.hypnotize.png

To make sure that you are aligned properly, take a ride and coast w/o hands on a level surface for a wile. The bike should not require any body input on one side to keep straight.

If all is OK, you DO NOT have a problem.

• Member Contributer
Then empty out your left pocket

pretty sure his wife's finance officer's aready done that for him

double tie your right shoe.You should be good to go

he'd never get that sucker off again.

:laugh: :laugh:

I already double knot both shoes... and the boots are zipper/velco. :huh:

• Member Contributer
It is possible that something got knocked out of alignment. (On the bike or in your head) Been there, done that.

To solve both issues, loosen up the upper and lower triple bolts holding the forks, wiggle the whole thing around a bit and tighten them back. Make sure that you measure the fork height in the top triple first.

This WILL solve your problems.hypnotize.png

To make sure that you are aligned properly, take a ride and coast w/o hands on a level surface for a wile. The bike should not require any body input on one side to keep straight.

If all is OK, you DO NOT have a problem.

Thank you! See you Bastages!!??! Advice and he didn't even call me a dumbass! :excl:

(just for the record, I know I'm a dumbass... :goofy:)

• Member Contributer
and the boots are zipper/velco. :laugh:

Say it aint so......................short bus?

• Member Contributer

Jimmy the window-licker!

explains that yellow bike, I guess. I think we know what stickers to put on it now.. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Jimmy the window-licker!

explains that yellow bike, I guess. I think we know what stickers to put on it now.. :fing02:

F#$%er...

I was thinking about putting this on the belly...

blue_meanie.jpg

Archived