Looking For A New Digital Camera

Guest Pete McCrary

Guest Pete McCrary

I either lost or someone "borrowed" my digital camera recently. Time for a new one. I'm looking for one small enough to fit in my jacket pocket when I ride. I someday would like a DSLR but they're not very practical for slipping inside your leathers jacket when you're out in the twisties.

Right now I'm looking at the Canon Power Shot G9 and the Panasonic G1. My main concern is that I (being of the old school) still like a view finder. I am not comfortable with holding a camera at arm's length and viewing a screen to take a pic. That means I have to put my reading glasses on.

Any input, ideas, and/or suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Pete

I either lost or someone "borrowed" my digital camera recently. Time for a new one. I'm looking for one small enough to fit in my jacket pocket when I ride. I someday would like a DSLR but they're not very practical for slipping inside your leathers jacket when you're out in the twisties.

Right now I'm looking at the Canon Power Shot G9 and the Panasonic G1. My main concern is that I (being of the old school) still like a view finder. I am not comfortable with holding a camera at arm's length and viewing a screen to take a pic. That means I have to put my reading glasses on.

Any input, ideas, and/or suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Pete

Talk with Tyke (forum member). He sells this kind of stuff. I've bought from him, he knows his stuff!

• Member Contributer

I absolutely LOVE my Canon SD880IS.

The camera is tiny and takes pretty darn good pics and video.

• Member Contributer

I was a pro shooter for a very long time and while I now use a Canon DSLR for the bigger stuff I love my little Canon SD 770. Currently I think the SD1200 is a good value and takes great pics. While the G10 is great there is nothing like having a small that you don't even notice until you need it. Sony, Lumix (Panasonic) and Nikon make nice cameras too but I find the Canon to have the most intuitive controls and the least BS.

• Member Contributer
I absolutely LOVE my Canon SD880IS.

The camera is tiny and takes pretty darn good pics and video.

:fing02:

Just got one of these for under $250.00, seems like a great deal for what it does and its conveinience

• Member Contributer
I have the Cannon A650 IS and love it, great 12.1MP pics.

:fing02:

620, 630, 640, 650 are all superb. My 620 is nearing its end and I need to track down a 650 before they're gone.

Archived