Rc51 Shock Swap?

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

I have a spare stock RC51 shock laying around and I was wondering if anyone had tried a swap in a VFR, 5th Gen specifically.

• Member Contributer

Kevin,

I have an elka 3way I recently removed from my 51 and compared it to an original 4gen I also had laying around. The lengths are surprising close (couple of mm's) enough that a shim would even things up.

Issues: the bottom mount is a clevis type like the 3gen. Next, spring weights are very different; enough so that I'd suspect the valving would be too but that's just a WAG.

• Member Contributer

Keep in mind that just fitting is the first of your problems. The RC51 shocks use a very light spring rate and valving, so much so that it would totally useless as is. Just a spring probably would not do it either, you would need internal valving changes as well. Totally possible though!

And by the time you had it resprung and revalved, you're looking at something near the cost of a correct shock.

At least that's the way it is for me, way up here, when I factor in exchange rate, shipping both ways, etc.

Unless you happen upon the RC51 shock for free, or already have owned it outright for some time (takeoff from a bike you're selling?) then I'd get one that's already sprung and valved correctly.

• Member Contributer

A revalve is $195 and a spring is $85, for $280 you'd be hard-pressed to get something better performing!

I though the RC51's had the wrong lower mount too?

• Member Contributer

Well it's just sitting around right now. I figured if nothing else it isn't 60,000 miles and 10 years old, as is my current shock.

• Member Contributer
Well it's just sitting around right now. I figured if nothing else it isn't 60,000 miles and 10 years old, as is my current shock.

What are you going to do about the difference in lower mount?

Guest vfrrider

But it does fit the 3rd gen. I have one all set for my RC211V replica. Got it in a deal with a 2005 RC51 front wheel and a few other parts. Right price. You can pick up a Ohlins at a very reasonable costs.

Larry

VFRRider

• Member Contributer

This was the extent of my plans. :biggrin:

• 11 months later...

Bump

vfrrider,

Did you get that RC51 shock mounted up yet? I also have a White 93 with 50k on the stocker. Trying to figure out a shock strategy without paying the value of my bike for it.

Bump

vfrrider,

Did you get that RC51 shock mounted up yet? I also have a White 93 with 50k on the stocker. Trying to figure out a shock strategy without paying the value of my bike for it.

A few other options, Penske and Wilbers still make shocks. I was quoted very reasonable prices from GMD in Massachusetts on the Penske and I bought a Wilbers shock from Max BMW in Portsmouth NH. If you order the Wilbers it does take a while for them to build and ship from Germany but it will be made to your specs.

I would listen to Jaime on this as well. I thought I could slap in something close before I knew a whole lot about springs. After educating myself the VFR requires a "dump truck" spring because of the geometry of the lower linkage. So just because it "fits" does not mean it is correct or safe.

I thought someone had a shock Jaime worked on for sale in the classifieds.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried/measured RC51 linkages? If they would fit, it might allow RC51 spring rates and valving (i.e. less progressive).

Has anyone tried/measured RC51 linkages? If they would fit, it might allow RC51 spring rates and valving (i.e. less progressive).

RC51 uses a dual-sided swingarm. I doubt the linkage would be anything close to fitting.

Then there's swingarm length, the distance of the shock centerline to the pivot point, etc, etc. Not so simple.

Archived